PDA

View Full Version : totally befuddled over saving session

Gary25b
August 8th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I can make neither heads or tails over successfully saving a change to a session WITHOUT having to save a new route.

I just went into surveyor mode with a session, edited a portal to output trains, making sure that it was in the session layer, but when I attempted to save the session, the game requires me to name a new route and session.

Other times I've been able to save sessions only, without touching the route. There just seems no pattern.

Can someone please explain?

rweber95
August 8th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Sessions may be opened for edit from the route screen or the session screen. When you exit to save there are two possible save screens, depending or how you entered the edit mode. The two possible screens are:

http://home.comcast.net/~eng95/Save%20Session.jpg

and this:

http://home.comcast.net/~eng95/Save%20Route.jpg

Note that in the bottom save screen there are lots of options of what will be saved.

Bob

Gary25b
August 8th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I'm certain that I entered surveyor from the session screen, but up attempting to save, I got the route save options 'save route and session.'

Gary25b
August 10th, 2010, 04:57 PM
just wanted to bump this question, because I'd really like to get a handle on how to avoid having to save a new route, when all I did was change a session.

Perhaps there are some assets which are only ever in a route layer? Is a portal such an asset?

JCitron
August 10th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Gary,

Welcome to the befuddled club! This doesn't work the way it's supposed to.

If you choose overwrite, you'll get a new session. Choose Don't save session, when saving, and you'll be fine.

I was hoping this bug would have been fixed with the latest SP, but it hasn't. If it isn't a bug, could someone explain the reasoning behind this, please?

John

Mart1001
August 10th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Here's a couple of paragraphs from a post I submitted a while ago which might help abit:-

"Of course during the first week I couldn't understand what was going on. When I saved my route, next to it I would have a numer 6 for example. When I click on the route, I would then see 6 sessions all with the same name. I used to just delete the first 5 knowing that they must be old versions...but why was trainz doing this ?
Then I spent a few hours experimenting and worked it all out.

Now I just have one route and one session.
If I edit my route, then only the route is loaded into surveyor and no trains because my trains are on the session layer. So if I add a train and then quick drive, the route is saved but because I have also edited the session by adding a train and therefore equiped 'adair' to drive it by default, I am prompted to save this session. If I say no...then when I return to surveyor after quick drive, only the route is loaded again and my train is gone.
This is why I have learned never to edit from the route menu.

I always go to the session menu and edit the session knowing that in order to edit a session, the route has to be loaded into surveyor too but this isn't true the other way round.
So now, any adjustments I make to either route or session, will be saved. I know that everything will be loaded into surveyor and not just half of it. I know that when I quickdrive, my trains and AL's will all start performing their schedules and my industries will be fed. I can then quit back to surveyor, change a junction number if I like and on clicking quickdrive...I will only be prompted to overwrite the route knowing that my session is safe and cannot be over written and even if it is...it will be over written with exactly the same session that is loaded into surveyor from that very file. I can never lose any recent work and I still only have one route and one session saved to my trainz folder."

Also...you can add most assets to either the route or session layer. The trick is after laying the asset, from the same menu...click the ? symbol and then click on the asset in surveyor. This will tell you whether the asset is on the route or session layer. You can then change it if you like but, if it's on the session and you change it to route, when you quick drive...you'll still be promoted to save both route and session simply because you have edited both in changing the asset from one to the other....if you know what I mean. The same happens the other way round too.

Although I always enter surveyor from the session and never the route, I first always select the layers tab and hide and then unhide the route layer. This puts me in route mode because you really want to add assets in route mode. I will then use the ? symbol to change an asset to the session layer if required for example, if the asset is a vehicle or an animal or a person etc...anything I would prefer to move or delete in another session.

The idea here is simply to think of your route and session as two halves of one file. Once you start saying don't save this or don't save that when you are prompted is, in my opinion where you start getting into trouble. I always just click overwrite to both as I know that I am only overwritting with the same material as that which is loaded into my surveyor....as long as I enter through the session that is as explained above.

Hope some of this helps you to work it out cause it does appear confusing but, once you get your head around how it works...it ain't really that bad and the benefit of layers(multiple sessions to one route) can have enormous advantages. for example, you could have a day session and a night session to one route and choose which one to drive depending on how you feel that day :-).

Mart.

sniper297
August 12th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I just found I can duplicate this;

1. Create new session.
2. Place engine and save as, new session name.
3. Hit the quick drive button.
4. Escape to exit driver, back in session editor.
5. Change engine to a different one.
6. NOW it wants to save new route and session, won't let you do anything else.

The workaround appears to be exit surveyor after saving the session, drive the session from the main menu. If you hit the quick drive button from surveyor any changes made after the quick drive won't work - need to exit and restart from "Edit Session".

Gary25b
August 12th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Haha, thanks for the several replies! I think now I'm going to have to draw up a flowchart! But anyway, I'll read over those again and try to get my brain around it.

And if it is bugged, and not WAD, then I hope the devs take a look.

Now let's see, two parts of a whole ....