PDA

View Full Version : Gimme Pigs

nuni7270
July 31st, 2010, 09:14 PM
To all gimme pigs everywhere, I don't mean to be rude but please stop asking for stuff! If a content creator just made something that you asked for and you start complaining you are being rude to the creator. They spend their time making stuff for the community to enjoy and if you purchase payware, please don't give it away for free. Just my thoughts. I don't want to discourage you from Trainz, I am just helping you from being embarrassed.

-Nuni

hert
July 31st, 2010, 09:42 PM
To all gimme pigs everywhere, I don't mean to be rude but please stop asking for stuff! If a content creator just made something that you asked for and you start complaining you are being rude to the creator. They spend their time making stuff for the community to enjoy and if you purchase payware, please don't give it away for free. Just my thoughts. I don't want to discourage you from Trainz, I am just helping you from being embarrassed.

-Nuni

So true. Requesting assets and asking for progress reports is all fine, if you do it in a nice way. But screaming that Trainz doesnt have your favorite shortline RR or asking for an asset that you know is payware really ticks me off.

To all gimmie pigs the saying is "if it doesnt exsist build it yourself" or reskinning is very easy if the asset you want is in a different road name.

Just my thoughts.

hert:wave:

UP5521
July 31st, 2010, 11:06 PM
:( I agree,although I have been called one before,I have stopped asking for content and am waiting to see what was coming out,as for the payware material,I agree with that too!

nuni7270
July 31st, 2010, 11:08 PM
There is nothing wrong with requesting just as long as you don't ask every day "When is it going to be done". You need to give the creator some time. You can ask but not beg. I am sorry if I offended you in any way I wasn't trying to.

UP5521
July 31st, 2010, 11:11 PM
There is nothing wrong with requesting just as long as you don't ask every day "When is it going to be done". You need to give the creator some time. You can ask but not beg. I am sorry if I offended you in any way I wasn't trying to.

no,you are not offending me,I'm agreeing with you and hert 100%!;)

trainzamtrakfan
August 1st, 2010, 10:10 AM
just like that mcdluvr2 guy who is always asking for subway stuff. like dude, if we don't have it don't ask !

- just a thought from me .

nfitzsimmons
August 1st, 2010, 11:38 AM
From the title of this thread I was thinking somebody was asking for some swine assets.:D

sniper297
August 1st, 2010, 01:19 PM
Well, this is an ancient argument, and it's not all black and white, there are many shades of gray. A lot depends not only on how we ask, it depends on who's asking. Plainsman (MSTS physics guru) wants to test some physics equations, needs a route with 1.25 and 1.75 percent grades seven and a half miles long with 500 meter radius curves leading up to each grade - if someone tells HIM "make it yourself" he's likely to get the sniper bullet. It's about community, my primary forte is route developer, don't know anything about physics. If Plainsman learns how to develop routes and I learn how to tinker with physics, then what would we need each other for? To me a "gimmee pig" is someone who takes without giving, the whole idea of a community is the give and take - we pool our different talents and all end up with something better than we could have built working alone. I've done routes, activities/scenarios, repaints, utilities, beta testing, troubleshooting and repair and tech support, I'm not about to take time out to learn a 3D modeling program. If I did then I would be self sufficient, what would I need the rest of you for? So if I need an RS3 cab with working controls and gauges I'll ASK for it, if a 3D model maker sees my request and it interests him, fine. If nobody is interested in making it, I won't whine about it, that IS "gimmee pig" behavior. In return the 3D model maker gets repaints and routes, maybe directly from me, maybe from somebody else that I've done something for. That's the whole point of a community, like a virtual model railroad club. No different from many model railroad clubs, a lot of them have people who do more than average and others who don't pull their weight, but that's one of them human nature things that you either have to live with or be a hermit.

NIARTcar
August 1st, 2010, 02:27 PM
+1 My friend

cheers

bendorsey
August 1st, 2010, 04:46 PM
If it wasn't for gimmie pigs (well the nice equivalent) I wouldn't have much on the DLS, lol. At a guess at least half (probably more) of my close to 3800 items were by request. Polite requests of course and for those who follow the forums closely you probably know I often chime in and volunteer to make items someone would like to have.

I've only said no twice - once for an item that never would have existed in the real world and the other because a very nicely done version already existed on the DLS. I don't think its fair to duplicate someone elses efforts.

I've only had two non-stop "is-it-done-yet" requestors. One finally got the message and stopped - the other got told to take a long walk off a short pier (he stopped too of course, lol).

Personally I don't have problem with folks requesting items as long as its done politely. I do expect them to do the research for data and photos. Practically demanding someone make an item is a different matter and should be jumped on with hobnailed boots.

Ben

illinoiscentral
August 1st, 2010, 04:58 PM
Oh Goodness, one of the all time best arguements I've seen. The Gimmie Pigs.

I agree with most everyone's posts here, there is nothing wrong with requesting, as longs as it is done discreetly. I recall at one time we had a certain member here who would request stuff everyday, Bristish steam engines, American Geeps, Russian electrics, etc. At one time there was six, yes six of his requests, in freeware announcements. That really got on my nerves. He on one occasion posted a freeware request (at payware quality of course) on the payware section! That was just a mark stupidity to me of course.
I do not believe in posting requests openly anymore, I believe that you should, politely ask a creator to do something for you. Do not ask for a free commission, as I've learned, that meaning: If they have a payware model that can be commissioned, don't ask them to skin it. However, if you do like I have, and ask for them to reskin an older model that is freeware you might get some results.

Cheers,
Woody