PDA

View Full Version : "Save to cdp"

ess1
July 24th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Am trying to transfer assets from one computer to another using CMP (am not able to LAN computers - XP & Win7)

I open CMP>right click>select "save to cdp">choose dvd drive etc.
Nothing happens:(
I am obviously doing something wrong. Appreciate assistance please.
Thanks.

Kennilworth
July 24th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Hi

I think that if you want to save to a DVD you will need to save the cdp's to somewhere on your hard drive first. You should then be able to burn the cdp's to a DVD. I save them directly to a pen drive or external hard drive which can then be attached to the next computer.

Regards

Brian

paulhobbs
July 24th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I am obviously doing something wrong. Appreciate assistance please.
Thanks.
You are expecting Windows to be helpful. Put it on a USB stick and transfer them that way. Much easier and you can create the cdp on the stick itself without saving to hard disc first.

Paul

ess1
July 25th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Thank you both very much for prompt and helpful replies.
I have the misfortune of my wife running Vista and me Win7:( . Thankd goodness my old comp has XP;) .

Sellick

JCitron
July 25th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Thank you both very much for prompt and helpful replies.
I have the misfortune of my wife running Vista and me Win7:( . Thankd goodness my old comp has XP;) .

Sellick

Windows 7 isn't that bad. As you use it, you'll appreciate it much more than XP. After using it, I'll never go back unless I have to.

What kind of hard drive? If it's an SATA, you could easily put it into a Thermaltake BlackX, which is are sale at www.weirdstuff.com (http://www.weirdstuff.com) and elsewhere.

This is a base that holds the bare drive, and connects to the PC via a Firewire or USB cable. The drive shows up as a regular hard drive, and then all you'd need to do is copy your local folder right over.

Last night I had a failing hard drive -- the one that holds my Trainz install! I purchased another drive, put into my PC, and took the old one out and put it into my BlackX. It took about 2 hours to copy all of my data over, or about 250GB of information.

John

ess1
July 25th, 2010, 08:45 AM
John,
Thanks for info. I'm sure it will grow on me. Must be patient:)

JCitron
July 25th, 2010, 08:48 AM
John,
Thanks for info. I'm sure it will grow on me. Must be patient:)

You, welcome... Like eating peas, I suppose. ;)

John

cascaderailroad
July 25th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Is this the BlackX you are talking about ? http://www.jdr.com/interact/item.asp?itemno=HDD-ESATADOCK

The thing about Hard Drives that I could never understand is: If a hard drive has been corrupted, where the "C" is no longer visible, yet the "recovery" is still visible...basically the still mechanically functional hard drive, is shot ! Why can't a hard drive that is fragmented, be totally erased and reformatted ? My old hard drive is mechanically in operating shape, it is just fragmented, and corrupted, and shows no "C".

I replaced my 500 Gb with a 1 Tb hard drive

JCitron
July 25th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Is this the BlackX you are talking about ? http://www.jdr.com/interact/item.asp?itemno=HDD-ESATADOCK

That be it... Awesome device. It's quite a nifty little device. :)

John