PDA

View Full Version : Undecorated SD40 painted

CNSD40MRT
July 22nd, 2010, 04:53 AM
Does anybody know how to paint a undecorated locomotive? I have Prjindigo's undecorated SD40 & I want it painted.

backyard
July 22nd, 2010, 08:36 AM
:cool: Here is a link to the current Trainz Community News (http://issuu.com/trainzcommunity/docs/2010_07) edition.

You can download & save the edition, there is an article by one of our trusted Content Creators, JoshEH.

The title is "Texturing a Locomotive."

You may wish to modify your signature, we do have steamers around here!:hehe:

VinnyBarb
July 22nd, 2010, 04:02 PM
Does anybody know how to paint a undecorated locomotive? I have Prjindigo's undecorated SD40 & I want it painted.

This is easy to explain:

1. Take a large paint pot of the colour required
2. Use a middle size brush for applying paint
3. Start applying paint to said locomotive's body :hehe:

Seriously, depending of what version of TRS/TS this is for, open the installed folder of the item to edit. Place the enclosed needed texture map(s) of the open to edit folder into your favorite paint program and apply your required skin of decoration either directly on these texture(s).

Or place a new layer (separate texture) of the paint/skin over these texture map(s) and apply this as said as a layer. Edit the layer's properties, especial its blend mode and opacity, you have to experiment which of these properties and to what degree you use these and save these textures so they replace the originals.

After doing this, you might find some parts of the item still unpainted, depending where the place on the original texture is to get that colour from, place that required colour there onto the new texture map where it is needed. Make sure you keep the original textures somewhere else, just in case something goes wrong.

Easy :wave:.

Cheers

VinnyBarb

backyard
July 22nd, 2010, 05:25 PM
:cool: We have run rampant on "fresh paint" jobs that don't do what you wish...

Unless your a HO model railroader that loves unweathered stuff...

Stick with the tutorials, layers are the key but you can paint a locomotive using Microsoft paint...

Using a dropper-tool, you can adjust the color from a web pic to achieve an accurate texture(color), then apply weathering on another layer.

This is not an overnight deal, work with pics off the web to learn what light(or heavy) weathering looks like.

You'll be glad you did!

CNSD40MRT
July 22nd, 2010, 09:51 PM
Will GIMP do the job?

tommy2tap
July 22nd, 2010, 11:57 PM
i've seen posts about using GIMP but i can't remember where. it seems there are as many ways to reskin a piece of equipment as there are pieces of equipment. i have just gotten back to wanting to try to finish up some previous work on reskinning myself and am looking at trying IRFANVIEW to see how well that works but GIMP is on my "to try " list depending on the results. last time i tried it i downloaded a trail version of paint shop and loved the results but lack of funds reared it's ugly little head and i couldn't buy the program.