PDA

View Full Version : My First Trainz

unett
July 18th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I have just downloaded this game for my grandchildren; ages 3, 5, and 7.
It is basic enough for them to use with little supervision/help - keeping in mind the 3 year old just likes to make the train stop and go, while the 5 and 7 year old have started to manipulate the track, and objects. I find no way to 'save as' their individual layouts - which they would like to work on when they visit.

Am I missing something, or is there currently no way to save various versions of the layouts they create?

thanks from granny (who has always loved trains)

ray_whiley
July 18th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Which version of Trainz do you have? If it TRS2004 (like mine), in Surveyor go to the top left-hand corner of the screen; there will be a drop-down menu in which you will find 'save as'. Click on that and in the dialogue which appears, give the layout an individual name such as (for example) 'John 01' and then click the green tick. The layout will be saved and will be listed when you next use Surveyor.

Other versions may be slightly different, but somewhere there will be the opportunity to save.

You can also give different 'sessions' a name within the layout and this will save any locos, etc. for future use.

Any more problems - just ask!

Ray

PatrickTaylor89
July 18th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I believe unett is referring to the new "My First Trainz Set" game, formerly known as "Tiny Trainz", rather than a traditional version of TRS.

Ray's advice is correct for most versions of "traditional" Trainz, but I'm not sure many of us here have experience here with this new title. I'd be shocked though if there were no way to save layouts!

Patrick

gremlin1812
July 18th, 2010, 10:21 AM
G'Day Ray, I think unett (thanks from granny) is reffering to My First Trainz AKA tiny trainz.
Most of us big boys :hehe: would not know much about that My First Trainz AKA tiny trainz but I'm sure one of the trainz people like Zec will come in and help out.
Regards
Barrie

Patrick, you beat me to it.

unett
July 18th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Yes, I did mean "My First Trainz Set". So far as I can see, there is no way within the program to save a re-designed layout. I hope there is a fix in the works for this program. In every other way it's a great way to introduce the kids to the Trainz family of virtual railroading. I'll be checking back in to see if anyone has come up with a viable work-around. Fingers crossed.

unett (aka granny)

I believe unett is referring to the new "My First Trainz Set" game, formerly known as "Tiny Trainz", rather than a traditional version of TRS.

Ray's advice is correct for most versions of "traditional" Trainz, but I'm not sure many of us here have experience here with this new title. I'd be shocked though if there were no way to save layouts!

Patrick

GPavlich
July 19th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Hi Unett,

As My First Trainz Set is a simplified Trainz product, and as such, does not offer the ability to save multiple versions of the room (as would be done via "Save as" in a regular Trainz product). The rooms are intended to be used as they would in real life, i.e. each room can be cleared away or built up from last time.

ray_whiley
July 19th, 2010, 02:05 AM
Hi Unett

After reading the above, I've had a look at My First Trainz/Tiny Trainz and I see that it's like some of the wooden train sets intended for young children.

If you would like a Trainz version which your young enthusiasts could use in the same way but also save their creations, may I suggest buying TRS2004? It's an old version, less sophisticated than the current versions, and support will cease in September but as a self-contained package without wanting to download extra items it would keep them very happy - and they could eventually move on from wooden track and rolling stock to models of the real thing. Here in the UK TRS2004 is currently available for about five pounds sterling, and it has plenty of both British and American rolling stock included - as well as from other countries.

If you would like more information, please ask.

Ray

peterwise
July 19th, 2010, 03:31 AM
Ray,

When you say that "support will cease in September" (for TRS2004), I presume that does not mean that Auran will remove 2004 (and earlier) content from the Download Station. Right?

Peter.

--

Hi Unett

After reading the above, I've had a look at My First Trainz/Tiny Trainz and I see that it's like some of the wooden train sets intended for young children.

If you would like a Trainz version which your young enthusiasts could use in the same way but also save their creations, may I suggest buying TRS2004? It's an old version, less sophisticated than the current versions, and support will cease in September but as a self-contained package without wanting to download extra items it would keep them very happy - and they could eventually move on from wooden track and rolling stock to models of the real thing. Here in the UK TRS2004 is currently available for about five pounds sterling, and it has plenty of both British and American rolling stock included - as well as from other countries.

If you would like more information, please ask.

Ray

ray_whiley
July 19th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Hi Peter

There have been a number of threads dealing with the discontinuation of support in September for TRS2004 and some other (later) versions. I suggest you look at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/i...e-Cycle_Policy (http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php5/Trainz_Life-Cycle_Policy) which will give you the information you need.

Ray

Blackie11
July 19th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Wow! I had never heard of this but I am really impressed for it to be used for little kids, which all are really. Thanks Granny Unett for making me aware of this great little program for kids.

Dave

unett
July 22nd, 2010, 09:35 PM
Dave, the kids handle it quite nicely on their own. The one downfall being no 'save as' option. What's a granny of three to do? :)

I do hope the creators of this unique game will consider the addition of multiple saves. It's a little disappointing for them (and me) really. Saving as Andy's Bedroom, or Katies Kitchen, or Megan's Garage can't possibly be that hard of a tweak.

hoping it will be considered. It might add play value for older kids just getting into this sort of thing, and widen the market a bit.

Unett (aka Granny)

Wow! I had never heard of this but I am really impressed for it to be used for little kids, which all are really. Thanks Granny Unett for making me aware of this great little program for kids.

Dave

unett
July 22nd, 2010, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the info GPavlich. I am guessing you don't have multiple kids messing about on your computer.:D

Unett (aka Granny)

Hi Unett,

The rooms are intended to be used as they would in real life, i.e. each room can be cleared away or built up from last time.

j_maybury
July 28th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Bit of an oversight in the think tank department ....Me thinks’!!!
as a youngster, (of 52 years)...Having to put the train set away just after you had just built it the way you want it was always a bit of a bummer. Hardly a fun aspect of playing with your train set now is it?
Would it have been too much trouble to put in a save as button?

Sorry for dragging this thread up from the dead, but I thought it was a point worth making, that is if you want them to buy more games!!

ZecMurphy
July 28th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Hi Jonothan
I've just tested this, and the route does not reset each time you quit (either the room or MFTS itself). The changes are saved, however it is not possible to use the 'save as' tool to save another copy of a room.

unett
July 31st, 2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks for looking at this Zec. Unfortunately the frustration level is going to outweigh the play value before long with my gang. Too bad.

Unett (aka Granny)

Hi Jonothan
I've just tested this, and the route does not reset each time you quit (either the room or MFTS itself). The changes are saved, however it is not possible to use the 'save as' tool to save another copy of a room.

Smileyman
July 31st, 2010, 05:51 PM
Well, that's a bit of an oversight.
Can't see the logic in that at all.

Anyway Granny,
I'm not going to be buying the game, so this advice might not work, but using the normal versions of Trainz as an example, you might like to try it.

Normal Trainz games can be installed in multiple places on your hard drive, without interfering with each other, so try this:
Open the hard drive that you have the game installed on, and find the directory it's installed on (something like c:\program files\My First Train)
Right-click on the My First Trainz folder and select COPY
Now go to somewhere else on your hard drive (like c:\games\) and PASTE
Once it's finished pasting a copy of the games folder, rename the folder to My First Trainz2
Paste again and once it's finished, rename that folder to My First Trainz3
Now go to the original games' directory (c:\program files\My First Trainz) and find the .exe file that starts the game, right-click and create shortcut
Right-Click the created shortcut and select CUT, go to your desktop and PASTE the shortcut. Now rename that shortcut to My First Trainz Bert (or whatever your grandkid's name is :) )
Do the same for both other game folders renaming the shortcuts on your desktop to the names of the other kids.If this works as planned, your grandkids can double click the shortcut with their name on to start the game with their track still in there.
Unless Auran has changed the way it handles files compared to Trainz, this should work.

If it doesn't work, you can simply delete the 2 new game folders and the 3 shortcuts, and your original game should be as it was.

Hope that helps,
Smiley.