PDA

View Full Version : please help saving and exporting routes

beneb
July 5th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Hi I am ten years old running 2010 on different pcs one at my grandads and one at home. I have designed a route of a local narrow gauge railway as I am a member and would like to have this route on my other computer without having to build the whole thing again .can you tell me in straight forward terms how I can do this?

ray_whiley
July 5th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I have saved routes onto a CD or DVD from the TRS2004 world/maps folder, deleted them from my hard drive, and reinstalled them later when I wanted to continue working on them. I would imagine - but can't guarantee - that it would be OK to do this between computers as the folder with the route name seems to hold all the necessary information but you would need to have all the dependencies installed on both computers so that they can be referenced. It's probably worth a try but don't delete the route from your home computer as I did - I only deleted because I didn't want to do any more to it at the time but wanted to keep the chance of coming back to it. Please note that I only have TRS2004 so can't speak about any other version. Other users - please add to this advice to help our young friend if you can.

Ray

tardis626
July 5th, 2010, 04:44 PM
In all other versions, in CMP ("Content" on the Launcher screen) search for the route you have made, right click it and select save to CDP, transfer this CDP onto your other computer and in the CMP (on that PC) go to file>Import CDP and it will do it automatically for you.

Regards,
Phil

ray_whiley
July 6th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Hi beneb

As you are fairly new to Trainz, I should perhaps explain what I meant by having all the dependencies on both computers.

Dependencies are all the things you place on a baseboard to build up your route - track, platforms, buildings, trees, people, etc. When you save a route all the information about it is placed in a map folder - but this only lists the dependencies and where they are on your baseboard, not the dependencies themselves.

If you use only built-in dependencies - just the track, buildings etc. - that were included in Trainz, and you and your grandad have the same version of Trainz on your computers, there is no problem - they are all there. If you use your computer at home to download anything from the Download Station and use it on your route, then that must also be on your grandad's computer - so he will either have to download it or you will have to move a copy from your computer to his. Otherwise when you try to run your route on his computer you will get a message saying that some of the dependencies are missing and you will be offered the chance to connect to the Download Station to download them.

Again I can only talk about TRS2004 and other versions may be different.

My apologies if this explanation is not necessary - no doubt you know more about computers at the age of 10 than I do at 79!

Ray