PDA

View Full Version : Surviving a week just outside the gates of Hell

WillPac
June 11th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Oh, what a long Auran week it t'was. Last weekend, I copies by local folder to a removable hard drive. Prophetic? Didn't think so at the time, but now....

Despite nothing odd happening to forewarn of this, Trainz (2006) would not run on Monday. Hit the "Start" button on the main menu, it would turn green and just sit there. Eventually, if I was patient or distracted enough, it would tell me the program was not responding. Well, no kidding! But I have had this happen before, but it cleared itself up on its own, and I figured this was what was happening again.

Tuesday comes and still won't run. If I clicked on "Manage Content", CMP would open but would immediately lock up. Warm reboots, cold reboots, nothing seemed to matter; it still froze.

Well, come Wednesday and it STILL wouldn't run, I knew I was hosed. I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it and off and running it went. I was delighted to see that all of the routes I had downloaded or created were still there. In fact, everything was still there, so it clearly didn't overwrite my local folder on the reinstall.

But when I added a new asset via CMP, I noticed a TON of assets under the Open For Edit tab. In fact, there were almost 1400 of them! So I selected all of them and hit Ctrl+M to commit them, then went to eat dinner, since I knew it would take a while.

When I eventually made my way back to my laptop, I saw every one of those assets failed to commit because they were missing their config.txt files! I tried to open one for edit in Explorer, but it would only open up My Documents, not the asset's folder.

Well, thankful that I had backed up my local folder, I attached the USB cable from the removable drive and began the long process of recopying the saved folder back into the Trainz folder. More than two hours later, I was happy (yet still dismayed) to find that this restoration dropped my missing config file assets from almost 1400 to an even 300.

Heavy sigh....I copied that screen and pasted it into Excel, so I would have a list of assets I would have to go back and download. It was NOT a task I was looking forward to!

And seven-plus hours later, I had MOST of the 300. There were some that couldn't be found. I started this search on my laptop, using DLS and CMP, but gave up quickly after four of the first eight were found on DLS but CMP couldn't find it. So I did it from work, downloading via FTP to a flash drive.

Now I went through all of this because I assumed it an asset was missing its config file, then it wouldn't work. But when I got home with a flash drive full of assets, I decided to check my route to verify that these assets were no longer there. The easiest to check was the sugar mill complex, of which five parts were allegedly missing those files. But the mill was intact. The vehicles were there; the signs were there. The buildings that I remembered as having to redownload were still there!

Needless to say, I was perplexed. Is the config file really not important? When Edit in Explorer wouldn't work, I just went to my local folder and opened one of the asset folders. Sure enough there was no config.txt file, but there WAS a config.chump file, Auran's way of laughing at me for all of the time I wasted, cuz I sure felt like a chump.

Sometimes I think it would be easier to build and run a REAL railroad!:confused:

JCitron
June 11th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Bill,

Since this is TRS2006, you can delete your asset.tdx file and then relaunch CMP. This will force a rebuild of your asset database. The rebuilding might take some time so go off and do something else while this happens.

Your backup idea was a good thing.

I would run memory tests and drive tests on the hardware just in case to see if there are any weird things happening that could cause this.

Good luck,

John

WillPac
June 11th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Bill,

Since this is TRS2006, you can delete your asset.tdx file and then relaunch CMP. This will force a rebuild of your asset database. The rebuilding might take some time so go off and do something else while this happens.

Your backup idea was a good thing.

I would run memory tests and drive tests on the hardware just in case to see if there are any weird things happening that could cause this.

Good luck,

John

Thanks for the technical tips, John. Since I had new assets to install (and CMP always says it can't find any on my flash drive, so I have to open the folder and double-click them to get them in), I selected all 300 supposedly bad assets and reverted them, so they at least left the Open for Edit section empty for my new assets. And none of them show errors and all show up in the game. So it's all just a head scratcher now.

And the name is Ron. The WillPac handle comes from my fictional N-scale RR, the Willamette Pacific, a concept I have toyed with bringing into Trainz (by editing TGA files of Maine Central locos, which shares the same color scheme), but I have only doctored one loco so far. Too busy actually building the layout, and dealing with snafus like this one!

JCitron
June 11th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the technical tips, John. Since I had new assets to install (and CMP always says it can't find any on my flash drive, so I have to open the folder and double-click them to get them in), I selected all 300 supposedly bad assets and reverted them, so they at least left the Open for Edit section empty for my new assets. And none of them show errors and all show up in the game. So it's all just a head scratcher now.

And the name is Ron. The WillPac handle comes from my fictional N-scale RR, the Willamette Pacific, a concept I have toyed with bringing into Trainz (by editing TGA files of Maine Central locos, which shares the same color scheme), but I have only doctored one loco so far. Too busy actually building the layout, and dealing with snafus like this one!

Ron (my uncle's name too),

I'd still suggest running a database rebuild by deleting the assets.tdx file. This will ensure the data is all imported properly into TRS2006. The reason for my suggestion is the fact the newer assets come in okay. This has my warm and fuzzies telling me to do the database repair.

The old MEC colors were great. Sadly they've been painted over in the current Guilford/PAR color scheme. I run a few old MEC RS-3s in the Green-Orange on my fictional Enfield and Eastern which started initially as an N-scale pike. Given the size of my route now, it would never fit in a room let alone a basement or garage! This is what's so great about Trainz when it works like it's supposed to.

John

davesnow
June 11th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I have said this before, and I'll say it again.....

You don't have to delete the assets.tdx file and force a rebuild. You don't have to re-install everything and suffer through what Willpac did... All you have to do is:

When TRAINZ 2006 locks up, go to your TRS2006 folder----open the Cache folder--- Copy your "assets.bku" file (basically an assets backup file)---- paste this file into your MAIN TRS2006 folder--- then RENAME it "assets.tdx"

THEN, and very important--- RESTART your computer.

This should unstick all of it.

WillPac
June 11th, 2010, 07:03 PM
The old MEC colors were great. Sadly they've been painted over in the current Guilford/PAR color scheme. I run a few old MEC RS-3s in the Green-Orange on my fictional Enfield and Eastern which started initially as an N-scale pike. Given the size of my route now, it would never fit in a room let alone a basement or garage! This is what's so great about Trainz when it works like it's supposed to.

JohnThe timing of this program was absolutely perfect. I have UTC and gave it a whirl, but I was knee-deep in building my "real" layout, so it was more of the diversion, when I didn't feel like engaging in carpentry, track-laying or wiring, none of which are my favorite parts of the hobby.

But a couple of summers ago, when my wife and I decided to adopt a girl she knew from the school she works at, that meant giving up our bedroom to her and us taking the only available real estate left....yep, the train room. And once our queen bed was in there, navigating around it and the layout proved impossible, so down came the start of my N-scale empire :'(

Then, last November, facing a bleak Christmas, I sold off almost ALL of my N-scale equipment. Family had a nice holiday, and I faced the prospect of abandoning for good a hobby I had followed, off and on, since my Dad gave my brother and me a collection of Atlas Fairbanks-Morse C-Liners in Santa Fe Warbonnet motif way back in 1972!

But as it turned out, one of the gifts from my brother was this little thing called Trainz 2006. This time around, I dove into it and really looked at what it could do. I was pretty excited, then absolutely ecstatic when I was able to fill my roster with my NW roads of interest (SP, UP, GN, NP, CB&Q, SP&S, CNW and later versions like BN and BNSF. Suddenly I was able to tranfer what I had planned in N scale into Trainz. Like you, the route grew by so much that it would take an auditorium to fit it.

So yeah, the technical snafus are an irritant; but when I think about what it would cost to have this many engines and rolling stock, which the brilliant creation of the ARN system makes much of my roster limitless, in N scale, I shrug if off and keep plugging away.

In fact, my biggest worry right now isn't whether Trainz will work. It's whether my Red Sox can survive without Beckett and Ellsbury, whether they can keep from falling too far behind the Rays and those hated Yankees.

WillPac
June 11th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I have said this before, and I'll say it again.....

You don't have to delete the assets.tdx file and force a rebuild. You don't have to re-install everything and suffer through what Willpac did... All you have to do is:

When TRAINZ 2006 locks up, go to your TRS2006 folder----open the Cache folder--- Copy your "assets.bku" file (basically an assets backup file)---- paste this file into your MAIN TRS2006 folder--- then RENAME it "assets.tdx"

THEN, and very important--- RESTART your computer.

This should unstick all of it.
Thanks Dave, I copied this advice and saved it as a text file so if (or it that when? :eek: ) it happens again, I won't have to search the forums.