PDA

View Full Version : curves and massive steam engines

UP5521
June 3rd, 2010, 09:43 PM
I just got back the 4 4-12-2 type locomotives and one thing I noticed was that when I was operating on my fictional tidewater western railroad company,there is that squealing sound that appears when the engine and its tender runs around it and I need to know,what is the curve ratio that is allowed for a steam engine this massive and long,thanks!;)

BLACKWATCH
June 4th, 2010, 04:49 AM
You are looking at a minimum radius curve of about 150 m, any tighter & you will cause damage.

cascaderailroad
June 4th, 2010, 07:59 AM
The Horseshoe Curve is a 906' radius (equivilent to @ 250m radius), and is a typical high speed mainline radius.

JohnnyC1
June 4th, 2010, 11:08 AM
If you make them to tight your long wheel-base locos will get stuck. Happened to me during a session when switching an industry with tight curves. Loco got stuck and I had to send in a rescue loco to pull it out. What a surprise, who knew! Moral of story; don't use CC or articulate type locos to switch urban industries, they will get stuck!

Johnny

UP5521
June 4th, 2010, 11:50 AM
thanks for the responses guys,now I see why most railroads in the real world preffer articulated steam engines in a case like this!;)