PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Mart1001
May 25th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Hi guys...

I'm new to Trainz and thought I'd introduce myself. Forgive me if this is the wrong section for this but, I couldn't really find a 'Newbies(introduce yourself here)' section so, as this is the forum I'm most interested in, I thought I'd post here...I'm gonna be asking a surveyor related question later anyway ;)

I stumbled into this abit...I was general YouTubing when I spotted a video of another train simulator....'hmm I fancy having a play with that I thought'. So I asked a mate who's abit of a sim buff what he thought about them. 'TrainZ Simulator 2010 is excellent' he repled and after a few polished words of 'what a great mate he is'...he agreed to lend me his copy to try. Abit naughty I know but I promised to only use it for evaluation and not to register it online etc unless I liked it enough to buy my own.

Well, I tried it and I absolutely love it and have not yet been able to put it down. I have since ordered my own copy and am a little bit annoyed that although I ordered it last Thursday night...I'm still waiting for it now(Tuesday). I tracked it earlier and found out it was only posted today...oh well, at least it should be here tomorrow and I'll finally be able to join in.

'Oh Trainz Simulator2010 engineers edition....where have you been all my life...I had no idea you existed'. I absolutely adore this program. :)

Anyway guys...I've been busy making my own route. I found the surveyor very easy to get to grips with although I do have experience with fps map editing. My route is about 6 miles long so far...oh by the way, I'm from the UK...though my raw route looks more like something from Venus LOL...but I'm loving it anyway.

I only wanted to try driving a train and now I'm totally hooked on building my own complete working railway network :D
This is surely every boys dream. When I had my very first Hornby train set as a kid, I promised myself that one day I'd have a big layout in my loft. Of course I grew up, had kids and never once thought about it again until now...but what I have now is so much better...that dream in a box LOL

Right...my question...when using the copy'n'paste tool, even though I have textures-height and objects selected, when I come to paste...it's only the textures that are pasted.....any idea what I'm doing wrong or is this a fault with my unpatched version ?

Right lads...I'm back to it...I need to make sure that Ami has finally delievered that train of logs to the sawmill this time and not the iceplant. Thanks for reading if you've got this far.

Cheers...

Mart.

barn700
May 25th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Hi Mart

Naughty naughty using anothers copy of Trainz !!! Your verion will take a couple weeks if sent from Australia, a week if from UK.

You have come to get the right version TS2010 is the best sim in the world for trains and related. You will find it VERY addictive.

We are all here to help you in case of need, and shortly there will be others to come along and help you with your copy/paste. You can copy/paste tectures, trees etc

I am from UK too, but wound up over here in PA USA by choice, and I spend some 10-12 hours a day on Trainz related things, creating or helping others create.

BTW a warm welcome to the fantastic world of Trainz !!!

barn700
May 25th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Those selections are like buttons (on/off) so you can paste textures/heights/scenery and/or track depending on your selections

JCitron
May 25th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Welcome to the very addicting world of Trainz, Mart. I've been "Trainzing" since late 2004, and haven't stopped since.

I live in Surveyor and periodically jump into driver to try out my new sections I've worked on. Surveyor I think is the most interesting aspect of Trainz - it's more like working on a giant model railroad.

My route, which is a combination of my creation, DEMs (Digital Elevation Map)(s), and mergers of other people's works, is now about 200 miles long plus a couple of branches. As time has gone on, I've gone back and replaced sections with better modeling techniques, which I've learned from the "experts".

Anyway, I'm glad you're having fun and I hope you continue to do so.

John

BobCass
May 25th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Hi Mart: Welcome to the world of Trainz..If you haven't said goodbye too your family do so..Because this Trainz is quite a addicting..You'll find yourself at this program alot..Ask my Wife..

angelah
May 26th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Well, that's your spare time gone out the window....
Trainz is very addictive, as you have found out and you will find yourself say 'I'll just do that bit then go to bed' at about 0300 hours and yet still be there an hour later.
It's very 'not-put-downable' and the bug of creating your very own routes will soon be biting your somewhere in the nether regions.

Good luck with your Trainzing,

Angela

mitch456yui
May 26th, 2010, 02:35 AM
Hey Mart,
Glad you're enjoying Trainz! It took me a while to pick up surveyor, I built a couple of routes and thought it was not that good, until I found where the button was to add another baseboard!:hehe: Trainz is VERY addictive, I have ideas in maths class and english class at school on routes to build and consists to run.:hehe: 'Ohh! I'll build an Aussie coal route! About 15 baseboards long and yards to accomidate 50 hopper trains!' Is today's brain-wave.
I'm not sure how to help your problem, but I'm sure someone around here will be able to answer your question.:) Maybe when you get your version the problem may not be there.
Well, I'd better download a couple of dumper trucks and mining machinery and get on this route!
Happy Trainzing!
Mitch

Tanvaras
May 26th, 2010, 03:38 AM
you will find yourself say 'I'll just do that bit then go to bed' at about 0300 hours and yet still be there an hour later.

Angela

Oh so very true Angelah.

Cheers

Trent

mattm
May 26th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Well, that's your spare time gone out the window....
Trainz is very addictive, as you have found out and you will find yourself say 'I'll just do that bit then go to bed' at about 0300 hours and yet still be there an hour later.
Angela

Oh, how i do envy you people:'(. Due to my rather unique living circumstances, i am limited to only 5-6 hours a day on the computer, and Trainz, unfortunately, is not the only thing that i use the computer for.
You see, i require a generator for power, which is generally only on in the evenings, for about 5-6 hours, as i said. There are times when it is on during the day, for 1-2 hours, and those times are taken up by Trainz.
This means that 3am sessions in surveyor are non-existant, however much i'd love to sit up all night working on a route:D.

Ah well, such is life. Mart, to you i say, take each and every minute in Trainz for granted. Do not skimp even one second and, above all, enjoy your time. It's a hobby, after all:).

Matt.

Mart1001
May 26th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys...

I got my copy through the post today and have since uninstalled the old and reinstalled my own copy and registered my serial. Christ that content manager's abit of a bugger to understand though. I tried to d-load a steam loco from this page:-
http://steammachine.com/bdaneal/gbdl.htm
The bottom one(2-10-2) as I saw it the other day from a link from this forum and liked the look of it. Anyway...I got the tender but the loco say's there's warnings and errors and talk of missing dependancies but what now??
If I doubleclick it, nothing happens...if I right click and select download...nothing happens. I tried to view the help files for the content manager but got 'there is no text for this page'....that was useful lol :hehe:

Anyway...I'm sure I'll suss it.

JCitron
That's one of the things that appeals to me...being able to flatten a sawmill and relocate it somewhere else or rip up and re-lay a section of track just like what really goes on in the big world ;)

I've already done that once but I made the old section rusty and threw the ending spline in the air(rails only) to curl the track up and then put a forklift under it to give the effect that my construction crew are still busy there LOL.
I can't see how a route can ever be called finished myself because time never ends does it ?

angelah
Only 3 O'clock ???...the last two nights for me have been reluctantly closed at 4:45 and 4:17 respectively :sleep:

mitch456yui
Lol @ your tiny baseboard mate :D
I watched a good YouTube tutorial before I even touched surveyor so, I was already prepared.

Ok...back to it. Thanks again guys...

Mart.

BobCass
May 26th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Hi Mart: You know I had the same kind of problem as you with Ben Neal's 2-10-2..And I finally solved it by putting the file folder that it was in and reduced the picture size..Then clicked on Content Manager and brought up DLS window, Then I put the two windows side by side..Then I would click and drag engine over to the upload section..And it worked for me..Now also you have to download the cab interior, its a separate download from Ben Neal's site..