PDA

View Full Version : Aerotrain

ultranox
May 21st, 2010, 01:46 PM
http://www.wig-wag-trains.com/Con-Cor%20Pages/Con-Cor-Pics/Aero-Train/aerolasv.jpg

Does anybody know where I can download this? or can someone make one please?

whitepass
May 22nd, 2010, 08:30 AM
Never been made and would be one of the hardest one to make ever!

NikkiA
May 22nd, 2010, 10:47 AM
Never been made and would be one of the hardest one to make ever!

I don't see why it would be that hard to make... 3D wise it's no more complex than many other 'streamlined' locos, and from the point of view of getting the engine specs right, we already have those - the (GM) Aerotrain was just a SW1200 in a different body.

The cars aren't anything complex, they're just 2 axle lightweight aluminium cars, nothing as complex as a Krauss-Helmhotz or Jacobs bogie system, both of which have been modelled in trainz already anyway.

The French Aerotrain, or the slightly related UK 'hovertrain', would be harder to get right in terms of simulation.

But the 3d work is essentially fairly straightforward for all locos, it's no where near as complex as modelling human faces, and people do that every day for a living.

Basically, the 'hard to make' trains are those where very little information is available, or where special propulsion was used and is thus difficult to accurately model. The Aerotrain doesn't really fall into that category of 'hard'.

But no, I'm not offering to make one :)

rjhowie
May 22nd, 2010, 08:14 PM
Ha, ha. Nice ending there! Would be a great addition to Trainz though? Perchance to dream?

NikkiA
May 22nd, 2010, 08:39 PM
Btw, video of the french Aerotrain(s):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VvsxaaFNAs

(The video has a blank screen for a few seconds, so give it chance)

ultranox
May 22nd, 2010, 08:44 PM
Well I'm not saying it can be done, but i'm not saying it can't be done either, I mean somebody's got to do it.

Ronayne
May 22nd, 2010, 10:26 PM
I'd love to see the UP Aerotrain in Trainz (I'm not offering to make one though ;)).

smash
May 22nd, 2010, 11:55 PM
Here's a video on youtube about the GM AeroTrain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oItV2ymPPGM
Kenny

Rob
May 23rd, 2010, 05:31 AM
Hi, I don't mean to tease, but I modeled the loco and (what were almost literally) coaches in 2007. So far however, it has never seen the light of Photoshop.

The designer, Chuck Jordan, also conceived the Chevrolet Corvette. Back in 2001, he was kind enough to send us drawings and other AeroTrain data he still had in his posession, so out of gratitude besides all else, I am quite determined to finish this project when time permits. :confused:

~R~

Electro
May 23rd, 2010, 06:06 AM
:wave: Hi Rob
Good to see you around :D

So it will be awhile before you can finsh the AeroTrain, I for one can wait knowing how hard it is for you to do things these days, :D
due to other comitments.

Poul

Rob
May 23rd, 2010, 06:18 AM
Thanks, Poul,

I just watched that video (thanks, smash). Remember why I was so keen on it now. :p

Was lucky enough to see it at the Museum of Transportation after assuring Greg Lane, Tony Hilliam and Steve Middleton that a visit there was imperative to their understanding of railroads. :hehe: We were in St Louis at the time so it's not as outrageous as it sounds. :D

I might have to save up and go back to have another look at it now that it's all been cleaned up. :P

~R~

ultranox
May 26th, 2010, 06:04 PM
WELL THEN ROB GET TO PHOTO SHOPPING IMMEDIATELY! WE WANT TO SEE THAT TRAIN!

jadebullet
May 26th, 2010, 08:01 PM
WELL THEN ROB GET TO PHOTO SHOPPING IMMEDIATELY! WE WANT TO SEE THAT TRAIN!

Wow, way to be a total jerk, to put it nicely. That is a great way to make someone not want to work on a project, even if you were joking.

ultranox
May 27th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Your absolutely to all I apologize for shouting, I have autisim so when That something can be done on trainz, my brain shifts into "do it now mode" If you will. :o

rweber95
May 27th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Based on your location, you need to think outside the box:hehe: .

Bob

Johnk
May 30th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Rob, you and I talked about this many years ago on the older Trainz forums. I've since managed to collect hundreds of photos (many you may already have) and some simple sketch plans. You're welcome to whatever I have.

John