PDA

View Full Version : US signals - advanced

Approach_Medium
May 20th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Hi;
I am working on a US route, and setting up signals.
I want to use advance home signals to provide advance indication of the next interlocking.
Here's my situation:

Single track into interlocking, then 3 tracks (two plus one controlled siding).
The advance signal is located 2 miles away from the interlocking.

I am using Safetran 08 signal at the interlocking.

Is there something specific I need to do in order to have the advance signal show the condition of the interlocking?

What I want, is to show an approach medium (for example) signal at the advance location if the interlocking is switched to the diverging route and is showing approach medium (for example).

I believe there is a rule or trackside object that will help me in doing this. Set a signal to be controlled by a distant junction? I don't remember what it is called.

Thanks for your help

FW

RRSignal
May 20th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Sorry, I can't help with the Trainz signaling as I'm just learning the basics myself, but seeing as your also from the PA/NJ region, I'm wondering what route you are working on. On many routes around here, being ex-PC, ex-Conrail, you wouldn't normally see an Approach Medium on a home signal - that would imply taking a diverging route at the interlocking then taking another diverging route at the next interlocking. Many lines use Medium-Approach-Medium at the first interlocking to indicate this instead.

Not that it matters, for me at least. I need to use tri-color signals for my route and they have to be able to display all the available NORAC aspects, including some obsolete ones. I think somebody is working on some so I'm going to wait a bit longer for those.

Dermmy
May 21st, 2010, 04:53 AM
Justin has an improved set of Safetran Sigs 'in the works' for versions TS09 and up which I am pretty sure have exactly the advanced repeater you are looking for...

Andy :)

Approach_Medium
May 21st, 2010, 08:35 AM
Sorry, I can't help with the Trainz signaling as I'm just learning the basics myself, but seeing as your also from the PA/NJ region, I'm wondering what route you are working on. On many routes around here, being ex-PC, ex-Conrail, you wouldn't normally see an Approach Medium on a home signal - that would imply taking a diverging route at the interlocking then taking another diverging route at the next interlocking. Many lines use Medium-Approach-Medium at the first interlocking to indicate this instead.

Not that it matters, for me at least. I need to use tri-color signals for my route and they have to be able to display all the available NORAC aspects, including some obsolete ones. I think somebody is working on some so I'm going to wait a bit longer for those.
The route I am working on is the CSX (formerly Conrail) River Line which runs from N. Bergen, NJ to Selkirk, NY.
CSX does use the approach medium indication. I have heard engineers call out this indication when approaching CP10 in Bergenfield, where single track main splits into three tracks (2 track + 1 controlled siding). In the CSX rule book, approach medium states:

"Proceed, approaching next signal not exceeding Medium Speed"
I believe this would indicate train is taking the main track through CP10, then using crossover at CP5.

When CP10 has approach medium, the preceeding signal, 13 Automatic also shows approach medium, from what I can tell, but I cannot confirm this.

I don't think I want the distant home signal to act as a repeater signal, as that would preclude protection of the block between it and CP10.

In any case, this route, which was supposed to be prototype is straying from that now, as it is impossible to find the correct signals and other objects along the line in Trainz.
If I were more into content creation, I might try to create the signals I need, and script them to work as needed.

FW

Approach_Medium
May 21st, 2010, 08:36 AM
Justin has an improved set of Safetran Sigs 'in the works' for versions TS09 and up which I am pretty sure have exactly the advanced repeater you are looking for...

Andy :)
I may already have those improved signals. I had been working (as a beta tester) with Justin on the new scripts back in Nov 09.
These signals allow setting the route direction, thus provide more prototypical indications for turnouts, crossovers, etc.

FW