PDA

View Full Version : Double track and track direction

WillPac
May 19th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I've been reading Chuck Brite's tutorials, and they have proven to be an incredible cache of information. Although I have been dabbling with Trainz since early January, I had no idea that the track laid is all one way. That explained why I could never get signals placed on the northbound side, as the "direction" of the track was strictly southbound.

Chuck's documents did a good job of pointing out the AI flaws that crop up, especially on single track lines. Like him, I decided to upgrade a large portion of my line to double track. I tried the few double tracks that came with 06, and yesterday d/l'd several others.

But in every case, the direction of both tracks were the same! Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of double track? Is there any way to "reverse" the established direction of one track, or establish it as bi-directional? I tried using directional markers, but they seemed to do nothing. The boxcar still faced southbound, and I still couldn't get a signal installed. :confused:

I am currently (and painstakingly) going back over this long stretch of single track and placing a second NORTHBOUND track next to it. But if there's a working double track that runs both directions, I would love to use that instead.

danny5
May 19th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Willpac when putting signals north on a south bound track,put a signal down then rotate it.That will put the signal facing the north bound.
Hope this help a little.
Danny5

drrt4
May 19th, 2010, 12:44 PM
use track direction markers, it works for my route.

whyfly2
May 19th, 2010, 12:51 PM
willpac,

Are you using the yellow track markers? Those are the ones that make the track directional. The red ones are used to name places for navigation, not control direction.

Art

Dermmy
May 19th, 2010, 01:18 PM
The 'direction' in which track is laid and has no effect on signalling and/or AI performance. Even if you painstakingly lay all you track in the direction of travel, every time you add and then delete a spline point the 'direction' of the track is reversed. If you can get all your track down with every spline point you need in the right place first time, you are way better 'n me!

If your signals default to the wrong side of the track, simply rotate them to put them where they belong.

Most importantly, never ever ever use double track. It can't be 'straightened' which hopelessly compromises its geometry and makes good turnouts off it impossible. Lay two parallel lines of single track...

Andy :)

WillPac
May 19th, 2010, 02:08 PM
willpac,

Are you using the yellow track markers? Those are the ones that make the track directional. The red ones are used to name places for navigation, not control direction.

Art
Yes, I put down a series of yellow markers on each spline on the Northbound side of the double track (pointing north, of course), but then placed a boxcar on each, which still had its green arrow pointing south, and signals were still dropping onto the other side of the track, facing southbound traffic.

WillPac
May 19th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Willpac when putting signals north on a south bound track,put a signal down then rotate it.That will put the signal facing the north bound.
Hope this help a little.
Danny5
Why didn't I think of that?!? :o I tried moving the signal but not rotating it.

WillPac
May 19th, 2010, 02:31 PM
The 'direction' in which track is laid and has no effect on signalling and/or AI performance. Even if you painstakingly lay all you track in the direction of travel, every time you add and then delete a spline point the 'direction' of the track is reversed. If you can get all your track down with every spline point you need in the right place first time, you are way better 'n me!

If your signals default to the wrong side of the track, simply rotate them to put them where they belong.

Most importantly, never ever ever use double track. It can't be 'straightened' which hopelessly compromises its geometry and makes good turnouts off it impossible. Lay two parallel lines of single track...

Trust me, since I didn't know that direction of track-laying was tied to train direction, so there is NO way every spline is correct! If they are, then I would say I am merely LUCKIER than you, not better.

And one thing I discovered last night about double track: you can only run turnouts off spline points. So yes, I am currently adding a second line next to my original single main line, for northbound traffic. Since the Southern Pacific had a double track through much of this run from Portland south toward Woodburn, this is actually going to be closer to prototypical.

Dermmy
May 19th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Yes, I put down a series of yellow markers on each spline on the Northbound side of the double track (pointing north, of course), but then placed a boxcar on each, which still had its green arrow pointing south, and signals were still dropping onto the other side of the track, facing southbound traffic.

Think of Track Direction Markers as 'No Entry' signs rather than as 'One-Way' signs. They are used to prevent AI drivers from taking a short-cut down the wrong line. They have no influence on 'Track Direction'.

You only need to place one. Place it immediately after a junction facing the way you DON'T want trains to go...

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/Dermmy/temp/directionmarker.jpg

...AI Drivers will only take the left leg of the turnout...