PDA

View Full Version : Would "Pop-Up" Instructions be hard ?

AnalogOldguy
May 9th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Hello Folks,

This happens to me a lot... I drive a route that I haven't driven in months..
And it's "do I take a left or right here for the power station"? "And how far is it from here"?

My question is, would it be hard or easy for me to place some kind of trigger on the track, which would pop up a message saying "Right to power station", (and the distance)

I know that no self-respecting manly driver would have to do this, but I am no self-respecting manly driver! :hehe: Robert P.

Skrogsgorks
May 9th, 2010, 01:11 PM
This happens to me a lot... I drive a route that I haven't driven in months.. And it's "do I take a left or right here for the power station"? "And how far is it from here"?

My question is, would it be hard or easy for me to place some kind of trigger on the track, which would pop up a message saying "Right to power station", (and the distance)

I know that no self-respecting manly driver would have to do this, but I am no self-respecting manly driver! :hehe: Robert P.

By using the HTML page insertions you can have as many "pop up help pages" as you need or require. Do a search for HTML pages as there are MANY help tutorials written specifically for your need.

HiBaller
May 9th, 2010, 03:51 PM
If you have the DHR route, take a look at it in Surveyor. We used HTML pop-ups extensively in every session to let the driver know what's happening all along the route.

Bill

Vern
May 10th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Another example where TRS is still lacking an autonomous dispatcher/signalman or at least a means of setting up your player train routing in each session without overwriting the default route in Surveyor each time!

AnalogOldguy
May 10th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Hello again,

I did a search of the forum for HTML, HTML pages, and so on. I did not find a lot of results, but it could have been because of my search methods!

One good looking link was to Aussienightcrawler's Tutorial for Creating HTML Assets... I can see that it's going to take some learning on my part...

I do own a web-page editor that can produce correct HTML coding (Namo Web Editor). It's possible, I guess, that I will be able to do this. (I originally was hoping for something very easy, like some simple "rule" or "trigger" to pop up the message) !

In my other searches,(on the DLS) I saw a "timed Limited Display HTML". (I forget what that was. It didn't explain its' function much.. I also found a thread "HTML Display rule", which I'll have to understand.

Otherwise, I figure that putting a simple sign at junctions, saying "power station That-a-way"! would be less sexy than a pop-up window, but easy. I also had an idea that I could record a .wav file stating "hey dummy, power station is over there" !!!, but how to get that to play?

The DHR route, is that the Himalayan one? I imagine I could learn from that, but it must be a lot of downloading. Number one I am on dial-up. Number 2 my Download Helper, (in my opinion) is not working properly since - either the latest DLS server crash, or because I installed a new hard drive.

It is not storing the CDP files in my separate folder, and I don't think it is detecting items I already have!

Back to you folks... Thanks much! Bob P.

HiBaller
May 10th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Yes. The DHR is the Darjeeling Himalayan route and it DOES take a lot of downloading. Certainly not suitable for dial-up connections. There are other routes that are not quite as big that also have HTML pop-ups.

You may already HAVE some HTML assets and don't know it. Use CM to do a filter for "Category = HTML Asset". I'm betting you already have some you can take a look at and learn from them -- or, even clone one and get it working with your route.

Creating your own HTML is fairly easy if you first build up the page using a photo editor. I know that sound crazy, but it works. Just create the page and all the HTML you need is just to pop the picture up in the Trainz frame. To do that you use a simple trackside trigger. When the engine hits the trigger, you pop the HTML page up.

Each page is an asset and has it's own KUID.

Good luck,

Bill

AnalogOldguy
May 11th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Ok, I am Back !

I've been a little "distracted" lately, after a little operation last Monday, to "clean out" my left Carotid artery (to my little brain, that is).. went successfully, so far. Not that big a deal, really!

Now, I am working in Trainz 2004 here, SP4 ...

I looked into the World Builder Guide, saw the instructions about the "Display HTML" rule. It tells you to go into the world/Custom/HTML folder and look at the examples of the config.file, yes I saw it, looks fairly simple. (4 lines which I don't fully understand).. And the sample "Image", not sure if I saw the HTML coding in there.. But generally, I'm beginning to see how this works.

You make a folder of your own, and put the image, and the config.txt and probably some simple HTML code in it...

Then you go into the route in Surveyor, pull down "Edit Session" then you click "Add a rule" then you add the HTML Rule. And you point it to that folder and filename you made, where your stuff is, and you click it in...

I'm understanding it a bit more! Just wondering how you tie it together to a trigger that you put onto the track. Also wondering if it always has to be an image, and any way to position it?

Thanks for all your help so far, you've got me working on this!! Bob P.

HiBaller, I tried the Content Manager in 2004, don't really know how to use it. I'll figure it out and find those HTML Assets!

HiBaller
May 11th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Sorry. I didn't realize you were working in 2004. CM is pretty primitive in that version.

\world\custom\html is the right folder to see what one looks like.

The track trigger is tied to the HTML rule by use of a drop down inside the trigger when you click the "?" for it. (I think - it's been a while).

Bill

AnalogOldguy
May 12th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Hello again to All !

I did build a little circular route to test the "Display HTML" rule. So, it seems easy, just hit the edit session pull-down in Surveyor. Hit the "Add" button, to choose and add the rule.

When you click on the location of the folder,it gives you a list of the HTMLs available, so in a way, I don't even have to use the Content Manager to see them. I did get the sample Trainz HTML screen to pop up at the start of my session, (before choosing the Train control method screen).

And I saw the simple HTML code by clicking on "View" in my Firefox, and choosing "page source". (it's only about four lines or so), telling it to display ****.jpg, which is the name of the graphic.

I can see that this is fairly easy! I do have a very good image editing program, PhotoImpact 6 which is great for combining text and graphics, so I can imagine some "pretty" start-up screens for my routes.

I did not manage to tie the graphic in with the green "trigger" I placed on the track. I clicked the ? , onto the trigger but it only gave an opportunity to rename the trigger. Maybe there are other triggers?

If anyone coming across this thread could tell me a little more about this, I would be grateful !! Robert P. :)

AnalogOldguy
May 12th, 2010, 09:28 AM
PS, I just did a more fruitful search of the Forums using "HTML Triggers"

Got a lot of information. They say read the "2006 Rules and Sessions Guide" (I do own 2006 also).

John259 mentions using a Gamescript scenario. Hmmm.

One fellow mentioned "Timed HTML Display" by Pguy, which can put HTML anywhere on the screen, Along with Pguy's Session Parameter rule...

So, the possibilities seem there ! But it would be nice to hear from anyone who has actually accomplished this "Trigger and HTML" stuff!

Best wishes! Bob P.

HiBaller
May 12th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I was mistaken about how to get the HTML to pop up. You do have to have a trigger - and it has to have a unique name. Once placed and named, then you go into the session rules and add the display rule for the named trigger to pop up a named HTML page. These are done in order as the train progresses throughout your route.

When we did the DHR, we made out trigger names very short (2 or 3 character names) so it didn't take up much room (and was easier to type). The HTML was given names that were derivatives of the trigger name. That way, if you had to change anything it made looking for the HTML page much easier.

Happy to see it is becoming clear to you. Have fun.

Bill

AnalogOldguy
May 12th, 2010, 07:57 PM
HiBaller, I would like to thank you very much!

I have not accomplished the pop-up window linked to a trigger yet, but probably will soon. I'm thinking it is due to the way I have the rules listed.

I have used pguy's "Timed HTML Display" with success. I could choose the window position, size, and the time displayed... But not in conjunction with the one and only named trigger I have on my oval track.

I'd like to state that I believe that Trainz is a heavily modded program, and one that also requires patience and skills far beyond the casual game user (in my humble opinion).:o

I am in the world of people who have had to become experts here, so I won't feel so bad, if I can't understand (at this time)! I'll use signs as my direction markers for now!

Best wishes to you! Bob P.

HiBaller
May 12th, 2010, 09:27 PM
You bet, Bob. Happy to be of any help at all.

Bill