PDA

View Full Version : 2006 to 2009 transfer

jspsss
May 1st, 2010, 03:12 AM
HI
I got a new computer and it's got windows 7 on it...so can not get 2004 or 2006 trainz progs to run...any one KNOW HOW...I have asked support who were not very supportive.
If not and or in any case is there any way of taking "routes" and "locos" from 2004 2006 and transfering them to 2009 version.
I much prefer the 2006 version routes.
Thank in anticipation of help
Peter

tlowthion1
May 1st, 2010, 10:37 AM
I have Trs 2006 running fine on windows 7; runs better than on Vista for sure. Firstly, i know it may be obvious, but i suggest you use the 'troubleshoot compatability' tool in windows 7; If the program has installed and you have a shortcut on your desktop, right-click; it should be just under 'open'. It may be that you have to set things up to run windows 7 like XP or something else.

I've also found that the 'autoplay' function (ie the menu that pops up when you put the disk in) tends to not work; run from the shortcut or 'my computer'.

Hope that helps

Tomas

yukonzoom
May 1st, 2010, 11:27 AM
TRS2006 runs on my computer with windows 7, however it is as stable as it never was since leaving XP. I only have it installed so I can create content and test it in 2006. It is plagued with problems (crashes, freezes, overflows the toilet, etc.), due to incompatibility with Vista and Windows 7. It also sometimes leaves residual programs running after you exit out of Trainz that bog down your system, I found I have to go into Task manager and kill them manually. You won't get any help from N3V Games (Auran) about it because from what I understand they will be halting all support for it by Sept 2010. In my opinion, I think they stopped supporting it years ago though. There is little you can do to make it run stable, beleive me, I spent months trying to figure it out, but in the end I just said to hell with it and upgraded to TS2009, which has CMP problems in Vista, and finally TS2010 which I have very few problems with.

As for your routes, You can use CMP in 2009 to import them from 2006. Your installed content will be in 'TRS2006/local'. I am not really sure how to transfer the built in content aside from cloning the asset and them importing it from TRS2006/local. This could be pretty tedious though if it is a route with many built in assets, you would have to clone each individual supporting asset too.

yukonzoom
May 1st, 2010, 11:34 AM
I have Trs 2006 running fine on windows 7; runs better than on Vista for sure. Firstly, i know it may be obvious, but i suggest you use the 'troubleshoot compatability' tool in windows 7; If the program has installed and you have a shortcut on your desktop, right-click; it should be just under 'open'. It may be that you have to set things up to run windows 7 like XP or something else.

I've also found that the 'autoplay' function (ie the menu that pops up when you put the disk in) tends to not work; run from the shortcut or 'my computer'.

Hope that helps

Tomas

I have found most of the tools in Windows 7 like 'troubleshoot compatability' are almost worthless and give the user a false sense of security. They usually don't find the problem, and in my case have actually created more problems than they solve. It is like carrying a gun while walking through a rough neighborhood and finding when you need to use it, you have no bullets.
I am still happier with Windows 7 than I ever was with Vista though.

whyfly2
May 1st, 2010, 02:12 PM
Hi jspsss,

Here's something I just posted in another inquiry in Surveyors...: "I don't want to discourage anyone, but I tried to import CDP files of TRS2006 locos into TRS2009, and they didn't work because the 06 mesh was not compatible with 09."

As to running under Windows 7, you might try installing your Trainz system in a folder other than C:\Program Files. You might name a folder C:\Trainz, and install it there. This is something I learned from the Flight Simulator forums. There are fewer problems when the program is not subject to Windows User Control. Both TRS2009 and FltSim 2004 run very well on their own.

Hope this helps.

Art

JCitron
May 1st, 2010, 08:47 PM
Also run and install the program as an administrator.
John