PDA

View Full Version : Bulk Dispensing Rack

stouthm
April 29th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Does anyone know of a bulk type dispensing rack similar to Lotharhake's on his Silo Complex1 (kuid 68787:250819) on the dls? What I need is something like that that I can place under chutes/pipes like those on the Stockman's Grain Elevator. What happens now is the consist pulls up to the pipes and 2 or 3 hoppers load and only one of them is under the pipes. Something similar to the pictures below.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/4803/rackpi.jpg

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1936/rack1u.jpg

Any help would be appreciated. Hey Ben, what do think?

bendorsey
May 1st, 2010, 09:20 AM
Sure - doesn't look difficult. Printed the pics out. Have a few items ahead of you but won't be too long.

Sorry for the delay but its been a computer madhouse around here the last few weeks.

1. I bought a new computer and have been getting it up and running (so I can run 2010). Old one wouldn't even try. Quite a lot to do switching everything over.

2. My printer died and since I got 7-1/2 years or of great service I bought the same brand and model (top of the line HP officejet). New one wouldn't work right out of the box. Kept saying there was no paper in the tray (when there was) and a paper jam (when there wasn't). After (literally) hours on the phone with an HP tech he finally admitted it was defective and offered me a refurbished one in its place. Natch I said WHOA! I paid $500 for a new one - no way will accept a refurbished (ie used) one in it place. He said he wasn't authorised to do that so I said then put me in contact with someone who is. Next day I was contacted and they sent me a new one. It didn't work right out of the box either! Won't complete some kind of initialization routine which should take approx 20 minutes. I let it run for 5 hours and all it did was blank the screen every 10 minutes (screensaver). Took a week but I finally got in touch with the HP person again and they sent me a 3rd one. Just looking at the box I can tell it isn't new (very different and smaller box). So I bit the bullet and opened it up. Parts are missing including the front panel. Dunno what HP is up to but I am getting seriously "P" "O" ed at them. Methinks tis time to get my $$$ back and look at other brands.

3. My UPS fried itself yesterday. Went up in smoke. Manual sez the relay welded itself together. Bought a new one. Can't run in South Florida (the 2nd most lightening prone place in the world) without protection for a $5000(Alienware) computer (some place in Africa is 1st). Dunno why it fried itself. load was only 1/4 its capacity. Not that old either and no lightening around yesterday. o-well.

All in all a nightmare (thank heaven for my Jack Daniels bottle, lol.

Ben

stouthm
May 1st, 2010, 11:54 AM
Wow, that's one hell of a week. Good thing you had Jack handy. I've had a HP all-in-one printer for a number of years and haven't had any problems but I think I remember reading in Consumers Report that Cannon was a best buy. Like I said, if and when you can get to it will be fine. I've got most of your creations, no, not all the bridges, just the ones I need, so I do appreciate your work. Thanks again and let me know where I may download it.

bendorsey
May 1st, 2010, 01:52 PM
Like I said the first HP printer lasted 7-1/2 years. Probably only designed for 3 or 4 so I had no complaints. I use the crud out of a printer. As you can guess I get a lot of info packages on items folks want me to make so I have a lot to print out. Realized what I got yesterday was new - just not the entire thing. I'm supposed to transfer all the missing parts to it. I did and started the sopposedly 20 minute initialization routine (which is approaching 1 hour). Its supposed to print out a printhead alignment sheet when done. So far nada. Methinks I have gotten another dud.

Damn glad I bought an Alienware computer and not an HP, lol.

BTW you only want the part over the tracks with the two tanks on it right?

Ben

stouthm
May 1st, 2010, 06:31 PM
Yes, I only need the part over the track but I'm thinking that if there are those two tanks then that would limit me or anyone else from being able to move the rack where it's needed. I guess I'm thinking of a larger tank/container, more rectangler, over the rack so that it would be able to accommodate more different feed systems. Take for example the Stockman Grain Elevator, I would be limited to just those two feeder pipes lining up with the tanks. Something more universal. Hope I'm not being too vague. Whatever is easier for you will be ok with me. Good luck with the printer and thanks again.

Tanvaras
May 1st, 2010, 06:51 PM
2. My printer died and since I got 7-1/2 years or of great service I bought the same brand and model (top of the line HP officejet). New one wouldn't work right out of the box. Kept saying there was no paper in the tray (when there was) and a paper jam (when there wasn't). After (literally) hours on the phone with an HP tech he finally admitted it was defective and offered me a refurbished one in its place. Natch I said WHOA! I paid $500 for a new one - no way will accept a refurbished (ie used) one in it place. He said he wasn't authorised to do that so I said then put me in contact with someone who is. Next day I was contacted and they sent me a new one. It didn't work right out of the box either! Won't complete some kind of initialization routine which should take approx 20 minutes. I let it run for 5 hours and all it did was blank the screen every 10 minutes (screensaver). Took a week but I finally got in touch with the HP person again and they sent me a 3rd one. Just looking at the box I can tell it isn't new (very different and smaller box). So I bit the bullet and opened it up. Parts are missing including the front panel. Dunno what HP is up to but I am getting seriously "P" "O" ed at them. Methinks tis time to get my $$$ back and look at other brands.

All in all a nightmare (thank heaven for my Jack Daniels bottle, lol.

Ben

Mate, I run an IT business and I refuse to sell/work on/etc for anything HP. I have seen this type of issue so many times with their product, and customer service is a joke. I feel for you mate. Cannon, never failed me ever.

Hope you get it sorted out Ben, cause there is nothing worse then a bun fight over getting a refund.

Back on topic , that grain loader would be very handy indeed :) Your models are awesome Ben, I think I got everything you have loaded up on the DLS :)

Cheers

Trent.

bendorsey
May 2nd, 2010, 12:35 PM
Hi Trent:

Beginning to definately agree with you about HP products. I let the cursed thing run all night. No printhead alignment sheet to be found. Unplugged it for an hour and tried again. Been 5 hours now and silence is all I get. Going to be an interesting conversation with the HP rep. Problem is she doesnt get to work until 2:30 PM and I have to be somewhere at that same time so probably talk to her Tuesday. Not looking foreward to that conversation at all.

Ya know - I can make a series of these things. Start small and make each one a little longer (more sections and possibly more tanks on top). Give ya'll some variety.

EDIT (a few minutes later):
I was looking at the screenshots and got to thinking there might be a better way to make them. Make the tank separate from the racks (part that has the track). That way folks could select whichever length rack they want and add tanks to it (from 1 to however many would fit). Tank would be interactive for grain (corn and wheat I assume).

Ben

stouthm
May 3rd, 2010, 10:35 AM
Sounds like a winner. I knew you would understand. Thanks again.

davesnow
May 3rd, 2010, 10:53 AM
I was looking at the screenshots and got to thinking there might be a better way to make them. Make the tank separate from the racks (part that has the track). That way folks could select whichever length rack they want and add tanks to it (from 1 to however many would fit).

YES! This would be very handy indeed.

Tank would be interactive for grain (corn and wheat I assume).

Yes, and around my neck of the woods, Soybeans and Rice!

Thanks, Ben. Your creations are so useful.

Dave Snow

bendorsey
May 3rd, 2010, 12:05 PM
I've started on the first of the racks (not much to it really) on my new computer but I'm working on getting a series of stockyards approved (on the old one). With up to 768 attachment points typos are the rule - not the exception, lol.

Ben

JCitron
May 3rd, 2010, 02:26 PM
Ben,

These racks and tanks would be perfect for many of us non-model makers. I saw plenty of them across Kansas, Oklahoma, and the Texas Panhandle.

Regarding your printer problem. HP used to make really great products in the past. I used to have an HP4si, which I picked up from work. It had about 150,000 pages on it and it was about 10 years old then. I got 8 years out of it personally before it finally died. I probably could have gotten it fixed, but the parts are hard to come by now. This beast of a laser printer used to print out duplex so I used it for documents and music. My old company used it for invoices and brochures. My new HP, which I thought would be just as good is a piece of crap. The plastic panels are thin and wobbly, and there's no control panel to speak of. The unit jams galore and have been on the phone with HP numerous times.

I forgot to mention... If HP continues to give you a hassle with this printer, contact the BBB and they will resolve your issue for you. My brother had an issue with them with another HP product. If you don't do this, they'll continue to jerk you around about it.

Good luck with the printer woes.

John