PDA

View Full Version : Place a marker in Driver, find it in Surveyor?

Approach_Medium
April 15th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Hi;
I'm looking for a method to place a marker while in driver and find it in Surveyor.
Often, when I am driving my routes, I find something that needs to be fixed, but when I get back to Surveyor, I have trouble locating the point. This happens especially during the early stages of development, before signals or other landmarks are placed.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

FW

Bill69
April 15th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Hi;
I'm looking for a method to place a marker while in driver and find it in Surveyor.
Often, when I am driving my routes, I find something that needs to be fixed, but when I get back to Surveyor, I have trouble locating the point. This happens especially during the early stages of development, before signals or other landmarks are placed.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

FW

Hi fwassner,

That would be a very handy feature if it were possible. I have thought of suggesting it for future SPs but thought it would not be supported by many users. So far as I know it is not possible ATM.

Cheers,
Bill69

narrowgauge
April 15th, 2010, 09:19 PM
There is already a way in TS2010, I don't know about previous versions.

Add '-LOC' to the trainzoptions.txt, this will give you the co-ordinates of the screen centre, displayed in the bottom left hand corner. It may need the addition of the World Origin Marker. That same display, in much smaller characters is also shown in Driver.

This may be just what you are looking for.

Peter

davesnow
April 15th, 2010, 11:39 PM
What I do is draw a number out to the side of my layout, every five boards or so. That way, when I'm in driver and see something wrong, I can quickly go to "Map View", note the approximate location, and jot it down on a note pad. Just my method. There may be others.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/Davesnow/TrainzMap.jpg

Edit: I use TRS2006

nbrettoner
April 16th, 2010, 02:28 AM
What I do is draw a number out to the side of my layout, every five boards or so. That way, when I'm in driver and see something wrong, I can quickly go to "Map View", note the approximate location, and jot it down on a note pad. Just my method. There may be others.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/Davesnow/TrainzMap.jpg

Edit: I use TRS2006

As this is a fairly small graphic, I'll leave it in my reply Dave,
Another possibility would be to go to map view, centred on the location in question, & take a screen-grab?:)

rweber95
April 16th, 2010, 03:08 AM
You could open the map, zoom in to max magnification and press PrtScr. If there a any markings in the area of interest such as track marker, switch, etc. it should help you find the position.

Bob

angelah
April 16th, 2010, 03:38 AM
On the DEMs made for me by a person who shall remain anon, they had the forethought to place mile markers all along the track in the shape of a platelayers hut, or a hut of some description anyway, and number them.

So if I am running and find a problem I can look into Map and find out where it is more or less. This has proved very usefull.

Angela

Approach_Medium
April 16th, 2010, 07:19 AM
On the DEMs made for me by a person who shall remain anon, they had the forethought to place mile markers all along the track in the shape of a platelayers hut, or a hut of some description anyway, and number them.

So if I am running and find a problem I can look into Map and find out where it is more or less. This has proved very usefull.

Angela
I had been using mile markers on my track, but found they interfered with my signaling system! I don't know why that happened, but using scenery objects, and not track objects as you suggest will work fine.

Thanks

FW

Approach_Medium
April 16th, 2010, 07:21 AM
There is already a way in TS2010, I don't know about previous versions.

Add '-LOC' to the trainzoptions.txt, this will give you the co-ordinates of the screen centre, displayed in the bottom left hand corner. It may need the addition of the World Origin Marker. That same display, in much smaller characters is also shown in Driver.

This may be just what you are looking for.

Peter
I'll try the -LOC line and see what happens. I am playing TS2010 SP1.
I had also thought of drawing numbers, letters, or other markers in the ground texture, but I always end up painting over them without realizing.

FW

bnsf50
April 16th, 2010, 09:46 AM
To everybody, FYI the -LOC works in 06 too.

Approach_Medium
April 17th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I'm going to post in suggestion boxcar on this.

FW