PDA

View Full Version : TRAINZ 2010 will not work on my PC.

okee
March 27th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I have an HP Pavillion a6544f PC
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
Windows Vista Home Premium. I have tried
everything to get TRAINZ 2010 to work.
TRAINZ 2006
Microsoft Train Simulator
Railworks
All of the above work with no problem.
The only thing i can think of is the Graphic card
will not work with TRAINZ 2009 and 2010
Any ideas. All the ideas i have received do not help any.
If you want to get any answer from Auran forget it.
To many people are asking for answers.

UnionPacificRules
March 27th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Stop with the technical stuff. If you have an ancient computer, then your dinosaur is extinct!! If yours is new, then you have a hyperactive antivirus or firewall denying you from playing trs 2010.

..RR..

OBO'S TRAIN CATALOG HAS 1800 ENTRIES!!http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/tr_prr6100.jpg

NSWGR_46Class
March 27th, 2010, 06:16 PM
What does 2010 report when it tests your computer when installing 2010
it would tell you if it can run or not

Tanvaras
March 27th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Integrated GFX are always not a great combo for games. My bet is your on board GFX chip can not cut it. Best finding atleast a mid range PCIE gfx card and using that instead. Integrated gfx chips are great for basic/yesteryear games, but newer games ask to much of the chip.

Cheers

Trent

Stationbeem
March 27th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Integrated GFX are always not a great combo for games. My bet is your on board GFX chip can not cut it. Best finding atleast a mid range PCIE gfx card and using that instead. Integrated gfx chips are great for basic/yesteryear games, but newer games ask to much of the chip.

Cheers

Trent

If i'm not mistaken the HP Pavillion range are laptops.

itareus
March 27th, 2010, 06:36 PM
If i'm not mistaken the HP Pavillion range are laptops.

That model is a desktop - Specs:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01494006&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3757419

Cheers

Trent

Trent is correct, its the integrated graphics that is the problem and TS 2010 uses the graphics "card" more than 2006 (or any of the other sims you mentioned).

You can pick up a graphics card (for about 40GBP) that will run Trainz well enough. But be careful - if the specs are correct your PC only has a 300w power supply unit and any graphics card will want a fair amount of that - you may just overload your power supply.

RRSignal
March 27th, 2010, 06:58 PM
It seems unlikely that TS2010 should not run at all, although everybody here is correct in stating that on-board graphics is a big no-no. I had the same problem right after installing 2010 and the trick was to go into content manager and to an Extended Database Repair three times, followed by a validation of faulty assets. (Click Installed, hit CTRL-A to highlight everything, then right click and select View Errors & Warnings. Exit out.) Don't install any new content before hand. This procedure should fixup the asset database. You should still be able to run TS2010 (kinda) with minimum graphics settings i.e. all sliders to the left. It'll run like crap, but it should run. Running in OpenGL mode is preferred.

Then run out and get a decent graphics card. You can get an XFX GTS 220 for $70 at Tigerdirect. Or try this one if that's more than you want to spend:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4042983&CatId=1558

P.S. itareus is right about the PSU - look at getting a 500w or better supply. They can be had for about $30 or so from Tigerdirect.

NikkiA
March 27th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Actually, I can well believe it not running at all...

The earlier Intel GMA chipsets had very broken OpenGL implementations, only allowing textures at very specific sizes (not just a power-of-2 requirement), and not honouring the entire OpenGL function set. I had to program an embedded system once, with a GMA 3x00 and ran into massive problems with OpenGL...

Running ts2010 in DirectX mode *might* work, but it's not going to be great, that particular Intel GMA chipset is not only old, but it was VERY low performance at the time. Of course, upgrading with an add-in card might not be possible, a lot of the HP machines that had GMAs onboard didn't have AGP or PCIe slots, only normal PCI, but if it does have a AGP or PCIe slot, it would be worthwhile buying even a cheap video card as an upgrade. 30 graphics cards aren't 'top of the line', but they'd be an improvement over a GMA...

zuluking
March 28th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I have the HP slim line dc 7600 .
Trainz 2009 does run and cmp works using XP 32 bit.
Have you visited the HP web site and downloaded the latest graphics driver?
Trainz 2009 does not run smoothly as there is only 1 gb memory and the graphics cards uses most of it.
Email me if you need further help

SuperFudd
March 28th, 2010, 05:43 PM
The NVidea GT(?)220 series work very well and should do well with a 300watt supply. Some 220s probably use less power than others. I think some don't even use a fan. My PC with a 220 (see below) has a 350 watt supply.

HiBaller
March 28th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Superfudd has the best response. I upgraded my Win7 machine from an integrated video chipset to a PCI-E (x16) using a GT220 with 1G of RAM. It cost me $39. I upgraded the power supply from 300W to 460W for an additional $32.

My install of 2010 runs like a Swiss watch - speedtrees and all.

Bill