PDA

View Full Version : FRAUD!!!

Richardd84
March 13th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I have had it. I paid three weeks ago to download Trainz 2010. Can't downloaded off the website, every file is corrupt. Tried many times. Sent several tickets, unanswered. The FTP site does not contain the specified files from the website. My Trainz 2006 says I have TO WRITE FOR SUPPORT. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I asked for my money back, no response. I get on this forum and everyone ignores you. WHAT THE HELL? I am going to call my bank and report FRAUD! This is ridiculous. I have never dealt with such garbage.

NikkiA
March 13th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I have had it. I paid three weeks ago to download Trainz 2010. Can't downloaded off the website, every file is corrupt. Tried many times. Sent several tickets, unanswered. The FTP site does not contain the specified files from the website. My Trainz 2006 says I have TO WRITE FOR SUPPORT. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I asked for my money back, no response. I get on this forum and everyone ignores you. WHAT THE HELL? I am going to call my bank and report FRAUD! This is ridiculous. I have never dealt with such garbage.

Telling the bank that you've been the victim of fraud when you haven't is a very serious offence in most countries.

The fact is, the downloads work for everyone else, it's likely something you're doing wrong - at a guess, using Internet Explorer, since it has many many many times resulted in corrupted downloads for various people (not specifically trainz downloads either).

Each time you update your ticket, you're pushing yourself to the back of the support queue - as many threads state, Auran's support is backlogged by several days.

Maybe your bank won't check with Auran and find this post - which points out that you have had access to the files, but due to your own failure, not managed to download them correctly - but most likely they will, Fraud is a serious allegation and banks tend to follow it up.

Richardd84
March 13th, 2010, 12:21 PM
When you pay for something, regardless of whether its my browser, and then you ask for your money back and there is no response after THREE WEEKS. That's fraud! Tell me why the FTP site doesn't have the files either? Why does the automated response say that you will be contacted in 48 hrs? I am not the only one. Search the forum, there other people (many) that are having the same problem. No one has an answer other than, "it works for me". this is very frustrating. Tell me where the files are on the FTP for Trainz Engineer 2010? I;m using Filezilla and it works fine, there just isn't any files for that version.

R

Telling the bank that you've been the victim of fraud when you haven't is a very serious offence in most countries.

The fact is, the downloads work for everyone else, it's likely something you're doing wrong - at a guess, using Internet Explorer, since it has many many many times resulted in corrupted downloads for various people (not specifically trainz downloads either).

Each time you update your ticket, you're pushing yourself to the back of the support queue - as many threads state, Auran's support is backlogged by several days.

Maybe your bank won't check with Auran and find this post - which points out that you have had access to the files, but due to your own failure, not managed to download them correctly - but most likely they will, Fraud is a serious allegation and banks tend to follow it up.

NikkiA
March 13th, 2010, 12:25 PM
When you pay for something, regardless of whether its my browser, and then you ask for your money back and there is no response after THREE WEEKS. That's fraud! Tell me why the FTP site doesn't have the files either? Why does the automated response say that you will be contacted in 48 hrs? I am not the only one. Search the forum, there other people (many) that are having the same problem. No one has an answer other than, "it works for me". this is very frustrating. Tell me where the files are on the FTP for Trainz Engineer 2010? I;m using Filezilla and it works fine, there just isn't any files for that version.

R

I'm guessing you didn't read the part of the page where it said that the files WILL NOT SHOW UP, YOU HAVE TO MANUALLY REQUEST THEM, they are hidden and neither the files nor the directories are shown in any ftp client.

In Filezilla, you can do this using the 'Manual transfer' function (Ctrl-M) and entering the file location specified on the page.

It *does* work, I did it myself several weeks ago, using Filezilla as well.

Edit, and no, I won't paste the URL, as I'm honestly not convinced that Auran has the protection in place to ensure that only people with a right to download TS2010 can do so :)

NikkiA
March 13th, 2010, 12:38 PM

Just checked with my (now several weeks old) links/ftp-details from my order history, and it was able to download the files just fine at a nice healthy 300kB/s, using Manual Transfer as I specified in the above post.

leeferr
March 13th, 2010, 01:15 PM
NikkiA is correct about the use of the term 'fraud'. I'd be very careful about tossing that term about as 'fraud' requires 'intent' and you're going to have a very hard time proving that Auran had any intent to take your money and not supply you with a product.
Mike

RRSignal
March 13th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Let me mention - if you get Filezilla, get it from sourceforge.net or the project's homepage, http://filezilla-project.org

BN1970
March 13th, 2010, 01:37 PM
My question here would be, how can you assert fraud if you were provided with the links to download the product in question? I would think all Auran was obligated to, by your payment, is to provide the links to you since you requested a Digital Download. Now, if the files are corrupt, it's not necessarily Auran's fault as others have downloaded digitally w/o any complaints (this tells me that Aurans master files are not corrupt).

My question to you is, are you downloading from a broadband (cable) modem or are you using dial-up? Auran has already stated that, due to the size of 2010, that dial-up is not recommended. The slow download speed of dial-up might be causing your corruption. If you are using dial-up or possibly the slower DSL, you might want to consider some sort of download manager that splits the download into smaller pieces then reassembles them when finished.

Just a thought.

johnwhelan
March 13th, 2010, 02:18 PM

I suggest you pick up Firefox go to your profile and make another attempt at downloading. Firefox has a download manager built into the program.

The downloads are very large, the Internet isn't very good at passing through large files without some corruption on route. The download managers basically check each block as it arrives and ask for a repeat of any that are suspect so the files arrive intact.

Helpdesk does reply by email but often your mail spam filters will filter out any messages from helpdesk. Check your spam filter to see if any have arrived.

When dealing with helpdesk open one ticket and go back to that ticket to see if they have replied.

Often if the issue is technical which it seems to be here this forum can assist.

I note you have posted three times on this thread and your posts have had a reply.

Computers and Trainz need a bit of patience sometimes.

Cheerio John

Richardd84
March 13th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Yes I read that. I did Manually request them. Then I entered the /Secure/trainz/TDD026/setup.exe in the "remote path" space. The error reads "the local drive is directory". What I;m I doing wrong please?

R

I'm guessing you didn't read the part of the page where it said that the files WILL NOT SHOW UP, YOU HAVE TO MANUALLY REQUEST THEM, they are hidden and neither the files nor the directories are shown in any ftp client.

In Filezilla, you can do this using the 'Manual transfer' function (Ctrl-M) and entering the file location specified on the page.

Edit, and no, I won't paste the URL, as I'm honestly not convinced that Auran has the protection in place to ensure that only people with a right to download TS2010 can do so :)

angelah
March 13th, 2010, 03:41 PM
To be honest I am unable to work out why folk have this urge to download the latest version of Trainz? Are they THAT impatient? Can't they wait a week?
I ordered the discs and that's how long it took, one week, actually I think 6 days, and that's not bad at all Oz to England. Now, if anything goes wrong with the installation I can easily reinstall without any worries, I have the discs here, no losing files either on my PC or in the ether.... So no troubles and no need to scream anything at anybody.

Angela

valishara
March 13th, 2010, 03:48 PM
To be honest I am unable to work out why folk have this urge to download the latest version of Trainz? Are they THAT impatient? Can't they wait a week?
I ordered the discs and that's how long it took, one week, actually I think 6 days, and that's not bad at all Oz to England. Now, if anything goes wrong with the installation I can easily reinstall without any worries, I have the discs here, no losing files either on my PC or in the ether.... So no troubles and no need to scream anything at anybody.

Angela

Perhaps because the first batch of discs sent by Auran were broken?

NikkiA
March 13th, 2010, 04:36 PM

Angela

When I ordered, the forums were full of stories of people not having received discs after weeks, and the whole business with the faulty discs.

So no, I wasn't going to risk waiting for a month or more when I knew I could download it in under an hour - it actually took longer for the install and database rebuild than it did to download.

NikkiA
March 13th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Yes I read that. I did Manually request them. Then I entered the [REDACTED]/setup.exe in the "remote path" space. The error reads "the local drive is directory". What I;m I doing wrong please?

R

Remote path wants the directory that is the part before the last /

Under that box, there is a box for the filename, that would be 'setup.exe' in this case.

You can throw the last '/' away or keep it just in case, it's a spare :D

Btw, I removed the full path, because as I suspected, the path is the same for everyone - I'm still not convinced that Auran have actually secured that 'hidden directory', and I suspect anyone with a valid planet auran account could grab it. The whole deal with the directory being 'hidden' and un-listable makes me suspect they're relying on security via obscurity, a bad bad move.

steve123
March 13th, 2010, 07:54 PM
FRAUD yes its pretty much the same as advertising something will be avalable on a date and taking peoples money in good faith then saying it isnt ready yet ,i believe that could be a crime as well in most countries ,maybe we shouldnt throw stones

johnwhelan
March 13th, 2010, 08:23 PM
FRAUD yes its pretty much the same as advertising something will be avalable on a date and taking peoples money in good faith then saying it isnt ready yet ,i believe that could be a crime as well in most countries ,maybe we shouldnt throw stones

Slow down. Auran posted a warning about the file size and that using a download manager was recommended.

The download was available and has been downloaded by many people successfully including myself.

The links are available and will still work with a download manager.

I don't see where the connection between this and your statement of saying something wasn't ready. Perhaps you could enlighten me.

Cheerio John

Alco_P-A
March 13th, 2010, 08:35 PM
To buy a hard copy of any PC Game. I pre-ordered my 2010 hard copy way back when first announced and my discs were good when I got them. In between this time I also ordered the digital download and had nothing but problems so I contacted the helpdesk and they gave me a credit/refund and sent me another hard copy of 2010. It's all in how you ask people for help which will determine how you will be helped in return. Try asking for a refund and a hard copy. Nothing like having the real thing in your hands.
:) Alco_P-A

EdrickV
March 13th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Get this program:
http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/
And use that to download the files using the regular links you tried before.

Downloading files as large as Trainz files without a download manager is not something I would ever do, because as you've seen it is far too easy to get a corrupt file.

norfolksouthern37
March 13th, 2010, 11:06 PM
i downloaded the setup files again just 2 days ago, everything went smooth just as it did the first time.

Driver_Col
March 14th, 2010, 07:04 AM

Angela
Way to go Angela! I agree with you 110%. I can only conclude that "our impatient friend" is considerably younger than you or I! He will hopefully learn in due course that the "latest and greatest" is not necessarily the best, and having it "now" rather than waiting a week is really not worth the inherent risks of data corruption and (as you correctly state), what could be better than having one's very own disk for a re-install!

Regards. Colin.

NikkiA
March 14th, 2010, 08:17 AM
They are all saved on DVDR, in the same format that you received yours in the post. :)
IKB.

Indeed, mine is even on 1 disc, rather than having to worry about losing 2 discs :)

JCitron
March 14th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Indeed, mine is even on 1 disc, rather than having to worry about losing 2 discs :)

I did the same thing with my downloaded copy. I also purchased the DVD copy. The reason this happened is I originally had a bad disc, but rather than wait the very long time until after Christmas to receive my new copy, I went and downloaded the files off the Internet. I didn't have the time to wait for the new copy to come in because I am at school 99% of the time, and rarely have a chance to do anything else but my studies and piano practice. I wanted to use the new version while I was on school winter break.

No problems at all with either purchase. I have a very fast broadband service, and didn't need a download manager. However it is recommended for slower speeds and especially for DSL.

Also if you are suffering from corruption, check your firewall settings for your FTP software. There is an issue with the files being cut off during the transfer. This has always been a problem, and most FTP programs have a setting to help correct this. Look for something called allow pass-through for firewalls, or something to this effect. This is very helpful particularly when the files are huge.

John

Richardd84
March 14th, 2010, 11:53 AM
First off thanks for your help. I have downloaded the files through manual transfer. Now when I start the installation it doesn't see anything except the "setup" file. It will not see the other four setup files in folder.any ideas

Under that box, there is a box for the filename, that would be 'setup.exe' in this case.

Btw, I removed the full path, because as I suspected, the path is the same for everyone - I'm still not convinced that Auran have actually secured that 'hidden directory', and I suspect anyone with a valid planet auran account could grab it. The whole deal with the directory being 'hidden' and un-listable makes me suspect they're relying on security via obscurity, a bad bad move.

meridious
March 14th, 2010, 12:26 PM
When I got 2009, I used the free download manager that was posted above. I have had no issues with corruption. I backed mine up to disk as well, but I went a step farther. I added an autorun file and an icon to it. That way, it's like any other game and automatically starts setup when I insert the disk.

yukonzoom
March 14th, 2010, 12:48 PM

Personally, If I have an option of getting a CD or DVD (boxed version) over a download, I always take that option, even if I have to pay an axtra few dollars. I have to wait for the CD to arrive in the mail, but it's more reliable than download with a program as large as TRS 2010, and I have a hardcopy to reinstall it with. I ordered mine in a box, and it arrived 5 days later. It also came bundled with TRS 2004... not that I needed it, but now I have 2 copies of it.

magickmaker
March 14th, 2010, 01:26 PM
First off thanks for your help. I have downloaded the files through manual transfer. Now when I start the installation it doesn't see anything except the "setup" file. It will not see the other four setup files in folder.any ideas

I made that mistake myself when I first got the download version. More than likely you got the setup file, but your download manager or system has stuck the other files in some odd place. For me, it was my second HD drive of all things.

First do a quick search on your computer using the search command. If you don't turn them up there, then it's possible the download manager didn't get them. (which also happens if your speed is slow or you have an interrupt in the connection.)

Try downloading again using Firefox. That way you can close out the browser, but it will still download. You should be able to install straight from there.

NikkiA
March 14th, 2010, 01:52 PM

If you've tried the other advice, and are certain the files are in the same directory as setup.exe, you might also want to turn off the option in explorer that is called 'hide extensions of known file types', sometimes this can cause a bug in programs where they can't see files that they should be able to see, if you have a program that has associated those files with something.

steve123
March 14th, 2010, 05:04 PM
sure when 2010 was advertised to be released people including myself paid money on line to download it on a advertised date ,we paid our hard earn't money believing it was going to be available [and it was not available on the date stated ,mind you this was at a time when people were tight for money as christmas was fast approaching, then when it was said it was'nt ready they still advertised that it was available ,no wonder people get the ****s

johnwhelan
March 14th, 2010, 05:21 PM
sure when 2010 was advertised to be released people including myself paid money on line to download it on a advertised date ,we paid our hard earn't money believing it was going to be available [and it was not available on the date stated ,mind you this was at a time when people were tight for money as christmas was fast approaching, then when it was said it was'nt ready they still advertised that it was available ,no wonder people get the ****s

Very few software products ship on the projected date. If you want a ship date guaranteed date you use special techniques such as padding the project programming time slots by 100% or cutting features out which is what ATI has been doing recently. Either way its more expensive.

I don't recall Auran guaranteeing a date. I do recall them giving a discount for preorders.

Cheerio John

steve123
March 14th, 2010, 05:22 PM
but i should state that when it was available i had no problem to download it and it is a great game ,always credit where credit is dew.however i have since had problems reinstalling from the files i did download,but all is good now,i am 50 years old and have seen a very big fast food chain advertise something that was not right ,and they got there butts kicked major big time by the laws of Australia

johnwhelan
March 14th, 2010, 05:35 PM
but i should state that when it was available i had no problem to download it and it is a great game ,always credit where credit is dew.however i have since had problems reinstalling from the files i did download,but all is good now,i am 50 years old and have seen a very big fast food chain advertise something that was not right ,and they got there butts kicked major big time by the laws of Australia

Different countries have different rules. I like the UK one that says if the advert says something then it must deliver unfortunately I think its only money back. Trades descriptions act I think it was called. Also the goods must be fit for use, some other act. Since both you and Auran are in the same country you at least have the benefit of having the transaction under the same set of rules. You could use timemachine and see exactly what was stated but my impression was it was it will ship when its ready but we'll try to get it out by....

We could do with a few of those here in Canada. From what I recall Auran said something like the projected ship date not it will definitely ship by.

Cheerio John

steve123
March 14th, 2010, 05:37 PM
they advertised a release date ,,dont even try to give me that crap

steve123
March 14th, 2010, 05:44 PM
i did'nt say anything about shipping i was talking about digital download

Richardd84
March 14th, 2010, 06:52 PM
No matter what I do when I hit setup.exe and it looks for the other files, it doesn't see them. They're all in the same folder. I tried to burn them to DVD, but the burniner doesn't see the files, but they are there and complete.

johnwhelan
March 14th, 2010, 07:53 PM
No matter what I do when I hit setup.exe and it looks for the other files, it doesn't see them. They're all in the same folder. I tried to burn them to DVD, but the burniner doesn't see the files, but they are there and complete.

What I see is

setup-1a.bin 1,528,921 kb

setup-1b.bin 1,529,297 kb

setup-1c.bin 1,529,297 kb

setup-2a.bin 893,581 kb

setup.exe 376 kb

Are you seeing the same with the same extension? You'll also need the TS2010 serial number. Click on the setup.exe and it should find the others.

Let us know.

Thanks John

devandavis
March 14th, 2010, 08:37 PM
If I recall correctly, my setup executable was not actually named setup.exe- I don't remember precisely what it was called, but I had trouble with it finding the other files before I renamed it.

steve123
March 14th, 2010, 10:05 PM
that file you have called [setup.exe 376 kb] is only called [setup] on mine,
right size

EdrickV
March 14th, 2010, 10:40 PM
that file you have called [setup.exe 376 kb] is only called [setup] on mine,
right size

Windows is probably hiding the extension on you. (If double clicking the file runs the install program, then the .exe is there.) By default Windows comes with the setting "hide extensions for known file types" turned on. Windows knows what a .exe file is, but likely will not know what a .bin file is.