PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

nuni7270
January 8th, 2010, 09:45 PM
What do all the brake do? I usually use the train brake but what does the independent and dynamic brakes do?

mitch456yui
January 8th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Hi,
Thanks for asking:p
The train brakes apply brakes on all the wagons and locos in the train.
The independant brakes just apply the brakes on the locomotive you are in.
And the dynamic brakes are a lot like retarders (or engine brakes) in trucks, you drop the throttle to 0, then apply the dynamic brake, then increase the throttle again. It uses the power of the loco to slow down. Great for going down hills.
I use the train brake all the time aswell, but use the dynamic when going down grades.
Hope This Helps
Mitch

nuni7270
January 8th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the help! This new information will help me when going down my new loop.

norfolksouthern37
January 8th, 2010, 10:12 PM
except in real life, in the US at least, the dynamic brake does not work like it does in Trainz. its got its own lever that slides (not notches - Trainz makes it seem like a toggle switch) and turns the magnetic field resistance in the traction motors on the wheel axles into a braking power. this of course generates excess electric power which is either returned to batteries or electric supply or is given off as heat through a resistor grid. this does not involve the prime engine (Trainz makes it seem this way).

mitch456yui
January 8th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I was just stating how they work in trucks, i thought it was the same, obviously im wrong:p
Oh, just out of curiousity
nuni7270
awesome route builder

may i see just how awesome?:hehe:
Any of your routes on the DLS?
Maybe give us some screenies in the screenshots forum?:hehe: :p

Mitch

nuni7270
January 9th, 2010, 02:31 PM
working on my new route which is an extension of Tidwater point rail. I added about 20-50 miles of trackage. will be on the dls soon