PDA

View Full Version : "Native" vs "Compatibilty" mode (etc.) ???

CurlSnout
January 6th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Two questions from a (almost complete) novice:

1) Where can I find the switch that allows me to change between "Native" and "Compatibility" modes? I see constant reference here in the forums to changing back-and-forth, depending on which content is running in which version of the sim. But I (so far) haven't encountered anything in the sim that accomplishes this.

2) What does it mean to "commit" something? I have (successfully, I thought) captured non-default content off the DLS, imported the associated *.cdp files, and run the stuff in the sim. But I have (again, so far) not seen any need to "commit" anything.

Can someone who knows more about this stuff than me offer explanations of these two points for the novice?

Thanks in advance,

cs

paulzmay
January 6th, 2010, 06:53 PM
1. It's in surveyor options in the surveyor menu.

2. It usually happens automatically in TS2010. When an item is committed Content Manager converts the textures and configuration (config.txt) file into what the game actually need to function. This is also the point at which error checking is done. You will normally only need to do it manually if you have opened an item for editing (any items you have open will show in the 'open for edit' tab).

Hope this helps...

Paul

crman123
January 6th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I guess this might be an appropriate place to ask about this Native vs. Compatability mode.

What are the advantages of both and what do they do that's different?

Thanks

johnwhelan
January 6th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I guess this might be an appropriate place to ask about this Native vs. Compatability mode.

What are the advantages of both and what do they do that's different?

Thanks

TS2009 uses the graphics card a lot more and Alpha blending doesn't work as well. Errors in content can be coped with at the cost of performance and that is what compatibility mode basically does.

Native mode is faster and TS2010 seems to handle trees fairly well which was a problem when TS2009 was released.

Cheerio John

crman123
January 6th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Well the reason why I ask is because I've got tons of legacy (06 and down) content and I'm debating on which version to get. Right now I'm leaning toward just getting TC3 and living with that, however 2010 looks pretty decent on the graphics front.

Would it be safe to assume that with a reasonably high-end computer that running compatibility mode wouldn't necessarily make a difference compared to native mode?

(Specs: AMD Phenom II x3 2.6GHz per core 64 bit, 4GB DDR3 RAM, Win 7 64bit verison, ATI Radeon 4850 (4800 series) 1GB)

I would just install TRS06 again, BUT my disk 4 has a disk read error or decompression error (I can't remember the specifics) so thus the reason why I am looking into a new version...

johnwhelan
January 7th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Well the reason why I ask is because I've got tons of legacy (06 and down) content and I'm debating on which version to get. Right now I'm leaning toward just getting TC3 and living with that, however 2010 looks pretty decent on the graphics front.

Would it be safe to assume that with a reasonably high-end computer that running compatibility mode wouldn't necessarily make a difference compared to native mode?

(Specs: AMD Phenom II x3 2.6GHz per core 64 bit, 4GB DDR3 RAM, Win 7 64bit verison, ATI Radeon 4850 (4800 series) 1GB)

I would just install TRS06 again, BUT my disk 4 has a disk read error or decompression error (I can't remember the specifics) so thus the reason why I am looking into a new version...

Should be fine for TS2010 in compatibility mode remember native mode is the default on this version. I'd try a couple of layouts in native mode TS2010 and see what happens quite a few work out of the box.

Cheerio John

Paul_Bert
January 7th, 2010, 10:59 AM

I can tell you from my experience that there is a big difference, for me at least, in running in compatibility mode versus native mode. On my fairly high end computer with a pretty good graphics card my frame rates are almost double in native mode in some of the congested parts of my routes. I have made an effort to weed out any assets with errors or warnings that I run in native mode.

I would go with TS2010. That is where I believe the future is.