PDA

View Full Version : 2010 or ?

warrenup
January 1st, 2010, 10:58 AM
Have 2009 installed - unfortunately most of the content on the DLS of interest is 2006 or before. Spent hours last night trying to resolve missing kuid and error problems in the London Midland Class 153 and finally succeeded - but don't know exactly what I did that accomplished the fix. Have read the posts and many tutorials but it is a long road at this pace.
My question is this - am I better off going to 2010 for the graphics improvement or move back to TC3 since I am most interested in UK content and hope the CM process is not quite so picky.
Would appreciate advice from you experienced folks, Thanks.

martinvk
January 1st, 2010, 11:11 AM
Have 2009 installed - unfortunately most of the content on the DLS of interest is 2006 or before. ...
Being labeled 2006 content just means that it was made to function with an older version, even if it was made today. Many objects I make are still labeled for 2004 since that is the minimum version they need to function.
:)

j_maybury
January 1st, 2010, 11:56 AM
Have 2009 installed - unfortunately most of the content on the DLS of interest is 2006 or before. Spent hours last night trying to resolve missing kuid and error problems in the London Midland Class 153 and finally succeeded - but don't know exactly what I did that accomplished the fix. Have read the posts and many tutorials but it is a long road at this pace.
My question is this - am I better off going to 2010 for the graphics improvement or move back to TC3 since I am most interested in UK content and hope the CM process is not quite so picky.
Would appreciate advice from you experienced folks, Thanks.
Well an American that prefers British railways! This must be a first!
The best advice I can give at this stage is go for the TS2010 IF you have a fast computer, I have a Intel Duo Core 2 with Nvidia 9600GT and yet I am now thinking of upgrading to an I7 at some stage, (as soon as the price comes down) at the moment I'm getting 5 to 27 FPS, depending on the terrain. I'm afraid you will always suffer from kuid problems, it goes with the territory, but thatís because hard and fast rules werenít established at the beginning, when creators first started building new items, it was nobodyís fault because nobody thought it would become this big, these day's you need a 500Gig hard drive to store just the kuids you will accumulate.:eek:

pware
January 1st, 2010, 02:32 PM
I recently installed 2010 - using the default install option I discovered that it replaced 2009. Initially I was annoyed but soon discovered that 2010 runs better than 2009 (which I hardly used anyway - I preferred 2006 for route development). Murchison 2 certainly ran better.

I then discovered that my 2006 routes ran better on 2010 than they did on 2009 so now I have switched to 2010 for route development.

I have a Dell XPS 420 quad core 4 GB RAM and an NVIDIA GForce 8800GT

Peter Ware

warrenup
January 2nd, 2010, 08:50 AM
[quote=j_maybury;540544]Well an American that prefers British railways! This must be a first!

Yes, I was hooked on a visit to the UK in 1986 - rode the Torbay Express in a FC compartment from Paddington to Dawlish and thought it great. Since have been over much of the UK network on various trips. I know the British love to complain about their railways, over 18000 trains per day with on time performance in the low 90% range. We have 500 per day in the high 70% OTP. Let's not talk about average train speed comparisons.

Looks like the vote is for Trainz 2010 and tough it out with the CM. Thanks all for the advice.

johnwhelan
January 2nd, 2010, 11:19 AM
[quote=j_maybury;540544]Well an American that prefers British railways! This must be a first!

Yes, I was hooked on a visit to the UK in 1986 - rode the Torbay Express in a FC compartment from Paddington to Dawlish and thought it great. Since have been over much of the UK network on various trips. I know the British love to complain about their railways, over 18000 trains per day with on time performance in the low 90% range. We have 500 per day in the high 70% OTP. Let's not talk about average train speed comparisons.

Looks like the vote is for Trainz 2010 and tough it out with the CM. Thanks all for the advice.

www.settleandcarlisle.co.uk is worth a visit, runs in TS2010 as well as TS2009.

Cheerio John