PDA

View Full Version : Fully automated sessions for the kids.

metalnwood
December 18th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Hi all, I have had a bit of a search around, perhaps I am not using the right terminology?

My four year old like trainz, we have 2009 but I can't always spend time with him to do it. Sometimes I just run something that takes a while like the aussie outback and he watches it. Eventually it runs off the rail at the end.

I am looking for something I can run which will look after itself so he has something to see. I just want to assign a horn to a joystick button so that he can do that.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get something like this going?

Thanks,
Jason

Willem2
December 18th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Hi Jason,

Save the route you want to use (save as) with a new name and

my suggestion is to add a baseboard to either end and lay a return loop.

I have used this method before whilst running Trainz at modelrail shows

(mainly Wadalbavale).

Then it can run all day, and show him the "H" key for the horn and he will

be a happy chappy. :hehe:

Cheers,

Bill.

meatloaf747
December 18th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Welcome to the Trainz forum Jason (& Jason junior).
There is a demo oval layout that was made for TRS2006 (should run in 09 "compatible mode") that has 5 or 6 tracks with 5 or 6 trains circling the layout. (some going in the opposite direction).
I can't remember the name of the layout, but I will try and find out and post back.
You could then download & install it using CMP2.

There is also some "Thomas the Tank Engine" contents your son might like. - http://si3d.jimdo.com/ - http://sodorworkshops.jimdo.com/ - http://dtsttrainz.jimdo.com/- (about 340 megs worth)...
Cheers, Mac...

Lewiscc65
December 19th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Check under gary_evans. He has alot of automated route-senerios on the DL which I think will be just what you need. Carl

AnalogOldguy
December 19th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Hello metalnwood,

You are using 2009, I am using 2004, but you probably could do this. Find a route that has all the industries set up to load and unload with the default Auran industries and rolling stock..

Go into Surveyor and set up up some locos and rolling stock, using the regular Auran coal hopper cars, logging cars, and so on. And then save the route. Now spend an evening yourself getting the trains rolling in Driver...

At the bottom of the Driver screen, where you see the current driver's picture, you can start giving him commands to do.. I think you have to click the little arrows showing up next to his picture for every next command..

So you tell him, drive to the coal mine, track 1,2,3,or 4... load, (then click the next arrow) drive to the power plant, unload, then "Repeat" ... And once you put that "repeat" in there and save the route, That train should do that forever... (of course, somtimes he will be driving in reverse to go back and forth)!!

Then the next time you are in Driver, you will see that train running, then you can click on another driver and train you had put in originally in Surveyor, and set up that train to do other things...

This can also be done for each driver in the Surveyor section without even having the trains running... maybe someone else can tell you how to do that. But in my experience, once you get that "repeat" into the commands, the trains will do it forever... If the industries will run out of commodities, I do not know!!

Best wishes!! Bob P.:wave:

tomurban
December 19th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Check under gary_evans. He has alot of automated route-senerios on the DL which I think will be just what you need. Carl

A word of caution. I recently downloaded a scenario pack by gary_evans and after the install I found 71 assets with missing/broken dependencies. A formidable task to repair for a veteran Trainzer, let alone a newcomer.

tomurban