PDA

View Full Version : Missing thread

December 16th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Hi,
I posted a thread 'Future' which had a number of responses. Two days ago I went to view the thread and noticed it had been moved. Being of a patient disposition I have given it time but still cannot find where said thread has been moved to. One can understand moving threads where they have been posted in the wrong area of the Forum.........
Being frank, it troubles me not, but if a thread 'is' moved, wouldn't be logical to indicate to where.....and also, if there was a dubious reason that I'm unaware of, that required it's removal, that the original poster at least be advised.
I visit the Forum daily and only had a natural interest in viewing the thread.
'Where's it gone??' All answers welcome.

Ian

jimisham
December 16th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I don't know if it still happens, but there was a problem at one time with threads disappearing when they got to the bottom of the page and couldn't be found.
Then a few days later they would show up again at the top of the next page.

clam1952
December 16th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Hi,
I posted a thread 'Future' which had a number of responses. Two days ago I went to view the thread and noticed it had been moved. Being of a patient disposition I have given it time but still cannot find where said thread has been moved to. One can understand moving threads where they have been posted in the wrong area of the Forum.........
Being frank, it troubles me not, but if a thread 'is' moved, wouldn't be logical to indicate to where.....and also, if there was a dubious reason that I'm unaware of, that required it's removal, that the original poster at least be advised.
I visit the Forum daily and only had a natural interest in viewing the thread.
'Where's it gone??' All answers welcome.

Ian

I was reading it last night I think, so it may still around here somewhere? Unless it got out of hand and got moderated!
The forum does have occasional glitches though, when I logged on it said there were no new posts, however today's posts had a few pages of ones I hadn't read.

narrowgauge
December 16th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I think you will find that the thread was deleted, it seemed to appear that some of the later posts were deemed to be personal attacks and against the rules of the CoC.

Peter

Johnk
December 16th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I remember the thread, but can't remember what it was about. if a thread starts off harmlessly, surely the moderators don't delete the entire thread if it gets taken over by trolls and flamers. That doesn't seem fair on the person who started the thread. I find it difficult to believe the Moderators have that level of authority, so maybe your thread was a bit off-topic also? I'm only guessing because I've seen some strange things happen on these forums, but none as strange as that.

JCitron
December 16th, 2009, 10:20 PM
The last time I saw the thread was on Tuesday, and it had a -Moved- in the posting area. When I tried to click on the topic, I received a permission denied so apparently the thread was moved because it became too nasty in the end.

John

December 17th, 2009, 03:50 AM
The last time I saw the thread was on Tuesday, and it had a -Moved- in the posting area. When I tried to click on the topic, I received a permission denied so apparently the thread was moved because it became too nasty in the end.

John
HI all,
Thanks for the responses. If you are correct, I'm am amazed that such a simple and harmless thread can spiral out of control. It was all pleasant and cheery when I last looked.
Anyway, as I said, it's not that important an issue to get all worked up about.
What I will say is - despite the fact that I was unaware of the nasty development to the thread.....it would be good to give posting members a clue as to what course of action has been taken. I found myself totally unaware of the circumstances and looking for it to reappear later. An explanitory note or personal e-mail by the 'mover' would have helped.

All the Best,

Ian

Johnk
December 17th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Ian, I'm probably sticking my neck on the chopping block, but the moderators do have an option and the right to remove disruptive posts and so they should. I also believe that if the thread "owner" is offended by a post and complains, or someone deletes the contents of a post that hasn't already been answered, the Moderators should delete it. There are many instances where people empty, or accidentally duplicate a post, but they seem to remain in the thread. I for example, asked the Mods to delete a duplicate post of mine over a month ago, but it's still there. Either the Mods have missed my request, or they don't have the authority from up above to do so.

What worries me about all of this is that a Troll can effectively force an entire thread to be removed. Once they wake up to this, they can bring the Forum to its knees.

As I said, I may be walking on very thin ice here because I can't remember how the thread started out. If it was controversial in the beginning, so be it. There are rules we must all follow.

There are many brilliant threads and some not so brilliant but nether-the-less important, such as my 2010 Route Building Competition thread. I now wonder what would happen if it were to be attacked by trolls? Would all my hard work be removed just because a couple of idiots attacked the thread? I sincerely hope not, but the "Future" thread is just one of a few I've seen vaporise this year alone and it does make you wonder.

American_Connections
December 17th, 2009, 04:39 AM
19. Interfering with, criticising and / or publicly commenting about moderation decisions. Messages commenting on or criticizing forum administrative actions will be removed without warning. Any complaints or disagreements regarding forum or chat room moderation should be made by contacting Helpdesk.

I can already predict the future for this topic.Totalitarianism?

AJ_Fox
December 17th, 2009, 04:45 AM
LOL all : )

Happy Holidays!

Cheers

AJ

December 17th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the replies....makes it a little easier to understand.
If it jogs any memories-Thread started out about me not managing to keep up with the increasing number of editions of Trainz etc. One response humerously suggested the world was spinning too fast for me and I had to agree.
The last time I viewed the thread the banter was all about some members preferring to stick with one edition for longer and others quite happy to move on with technology.
Anyway, thanks once again for the replies.

Enjoyable Holidays to all,

Ian

Johnk
December 17th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Then maybe I posted this link:

A Brief History Of Trainz (http://railsimpro.com/charlie/trainzchron/)

If I didn't, you may enjoy it.

December 17th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Hi Johnk,
Thanks for posting that - very intersting, one or two versions eh!
I came in at the Trainz v1.1 which I found in a computer software catalogue and along with an Auran logo also had a French company 'Arxel tribe' logo.
Perhaps they distibuted in Europe.
Thank for the posting.

Ian

gus1911
December 17th, 2009, 08:18 AM
The thread was deleted I'm sure because the name of an arrogant troll came up in the thread. It was followed by a few rude comments about him, so the thread was no doubt deleted for that reason. The troll only shows up to cause trouble, and the best thing to do is just ignore his demeaning and condescending barbs and let him have fun playing with himself. I know it's hard to ignore him, but it can be done.:cool:

Johnk
December 17th, 2009, 09:08 AM
The thread was deleted I'm sure because the name of an arrogant troll came up in the thread. It was followed by a few rude comments about him, so the thread was no doubt deleted for that reason. The troll only shows up to cause trouble, and the best thing to do is just ignore his demeaning and condescending barbs and let him have fun playing with himself. I know it's hard to ignore him, but it can be done.:cool:

On the other hand, an astute Moderator could just delete his post instead of saying:

LOL all : )

Happy Holidays!

Cheers

AJ

gus1911
December 17th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Unfortunately, when a troll does little else but demean and belittle people, his posts remain. But if someone "calls the troll out" that's not allowed. But the moderators (monitors) are the bosses here and they can do as they wish.

As I said, it's best to ignore the troll and let him have fun doodling with himself.:cool:

amigacooke
December 17th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I know it's hard to ignore him, but it can be done.:cool:It's very easy, there is a forum function made to measure.

amigacooke
December 17th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Unfortunately, when a troll does little else but demean and belittle people, his posts remain. Report the post if you think it is trolling.

Johnk
December 17th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Unfortunately Moderators are not at all infallible. A Troll may answer a post with a bucket load of garbage, but it may well be the person who wrote the initial post who gets slain. I have been permanently banned from the Surf Music Forums for Tolling, but am I the real Troll or not? You be the judge:

Surf Music is my passion. (Okay I know I'm demented, and hey, it does show my age. But please hear me out on this one.)

People constantly post to the Surf Music Forum asking for guitar TAB for a particular song. I'm sure you all know what guitar TAB is. Like myself, a lot of people are half tone deaf, and using TAB makes learning a song a whole lot easier.

If you go on the Surf Music Forum and ask for any TAB, you will receive a barrage of comments (insults if you wish) like Learn it yourself". "Don't be lazy" "Stop wasting our time!" Most of these comments actually come from the Moderators themselves, who unlike the Trainz Moderators, can become actively involved in controversial discussion.

I became offended by this constant barrage of criticism or "tones of inadequacy" by the "chosen few" and stood up for the beheaded. I pointed out that not all people were equal, and requests for TAB should be treated with respect. Naturally I also mentioned that the opposes were a pack of w****ers. That probably didn't help.

I was immediately banned forever for having the audacity to challenge the person who started the site. (One of the leading Trolls) Whoops, or was I the Troll?

In all fairness, I think the noticeable Moderators on the Trainz Forums (A.J and Zec) do a fine (wonderful) job, but the rest are a pack of whimps who should start off by reading the by-laws, especially when it comes to the size of signatures and Trolling comments etc. (Sorry Section 19)

Okay, this is no doubt my departure date, but for God's sake guys, just delete offensive posts, deal with Trolls, and let the rest of us enjoy these forums for what they're meant to be. We love them, we love you, but don't chop off the head of someone who started a thread just because some idiot didn't like it.

"Guilty your Worship". Bye!

December 17th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Hi,
Are all posts approved before they appear in the Forum?. I know some other Forums of which I am a member have to be individually approved before they appear. Seems like a good control system to me and would eliminate trolling.

Cheers,

Ian

clam1952
December 17th, 2009, 06:02 PM
As someone who has moderated on a few forums and communities, one of which had a couple of thousand message boards and nearly as many trolls, you are mostly damned if you do and damned if you don't, what ever decision you make you always end up putting someone's nose out of joint.
Oversize signature should be fixable with a line of code, simple solution, if it's too big it gets shrunk or doesn't appear.;)

To be honest this forum is like a breath of fresh air compared to some places.

Comment on Tab............ they probably couldn't read it, may well have got the same response if you'd asked for the sheet music. ;)

narrowgauge
December 17th, 2009, 06:04 PM
We do have the means to allow us to ignore the trolls. Go to your UserCP (menu bar above) and enter the troll's name in the 'Ignore' list. If enough people did this, the lack of response to his comments may convince that person how unpopular he is.

Peter

meatloaf747
December 17th, 2009, 06:57 PM
And on a brighter note, it's 33 degrees outside, with a light north westerly. Temperatures should "max out" at around 35 degrees by mid afternoon. The next high tide is at 10.22pm tonight. Outlook for tomorrow, unfortunately "shower" but hey, "keep a smile on the dial"...

Wrong forum again. (Obviously forgot to take my medication this morning)... :hehe:
Lets try & keep it light hearted guys & gals.
Cheers, Mac...

7121239 - Ian, it's great that a Kiwi & a Scotsman can have a bit of lighthearted humorous banter in the forum. (Should be more of it) !!!

ZecMurphy
December 17th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Hi All
As per section 19 of the COC:

Interfering with, criticising and / or publicly commenting about moderation decisions. Messages commenting on or criticizing forum administrative actions will be removed without warning. Any complaints or disagreements regarding forum or chat room moderation should be made by contacting Helpdesk (http://www.auran.com/helpdesk).

In regards to removing/moving threads, this isn't always directed at the OP, but simply that the topic will go off-topic even if the OP didn't intend for it to do so. As such, the whole thread will be removed.

We are here to ensure that the Trainz forums stay a safe and friendly place for younger members. And, as above, if you feel that you need to comment on the moderation of a thread/post, please contact us on the helpdesk.
Thank you

December 17th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Hi Zec,
My final post on this matter.
I totally agree and support everything you say.
I simply made a post and couldn't find it - it appeared as though I had made a post that had to be removed. I have never or ever intend to make any post that will require to be removed. Wouldn't it be easier to simply advise an OP, me, that an administrative action had to be taken.
What shouldn't be overlooked, in any case, is the difference between criticism and constructive comment. The continual reference to the COC at various points during this thread seems to me to be 'out of proportion' to what is being discussed.
Nowhere, in my opinion, has there been, even slightly, an attack on anyones integrity or any direct complaint of moderation proceedures.
Bearing in mind that I am the originator of this thread, all I ask is, that if you choose to moderate the thread, that you reassure me that it wasn't me that posted a nasty thread. That doesn't contravene the COC, surely..........

All the Best,

Ian

Sourdough
December 17th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Report the post if you think it is trolling.

I'm sure many do...however, it far less therapeutic than actually venting their displeasure on open forum....leave him be....he needs to get it out of his system so this mystery troll...:o...doesn't have such a death grip on his soul...:cool:

StorkNest
December 17th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Ian,
Try contacting a moderator through either PM or chat about the thread or send to HelpDesk. Recently I know of one topic that was closed but was reopened after "cleansing" when the thread starter contacted a moderator privately.

amigacooke
December 18th, 2009, 02:18 AM
I'm sure many do...however, it far less therapeutic than actually venting their displeasure on open forum....I don't find it therapeutic. :)

gus1911
December 19th, 2009, 11:04 AM
....he needs to get it out of his system so this mystery troll...:o...

Mystery Troll? You're not serious! Its name was mentioned at least three times (perhaps even more as the thread picked up some momentum) before the thread was deleted. It really matters little. Almost everyone on the forum knows who it is anyway.

Sourdough
December 19th, 2009, 07:00 PM
It really matters little.
My mistake....I got the impression from the posts that it did...:cool: