PDA

View Full Version : Cool Idea - Anyone know if?

novastorm2000
December 9th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I was thinking that it would be really cool if as one of the builder role possibilities would be for people to create and host their own rail yard or aka destination.

This would create a virtual online railroad network with a auran hosted server and service that would allow you to build and host a train stop or station with them. There would be a virtual world map that would allow you to place your station/rail yard, stop, ect and people could visit it and others and build a virtual trip and scenario.

The map would have geographic cliamte and landscape attributes that your stop would have to adhere to, IE, desert, mountains ect. A generic route would link them together, but people could build the segments as well so in theory if there were enough interest there would be a world virtual rail road. Ship yards could connect them as well.

The service offering would cover hosting space and download costs and allow real time networking. CDP.s would be downloaded as used and the service subscription would dictate whether you could continue to access them and the hosted scenarios and segments. You could also allow users to pick segements and stops by authors so that you could use stuff from your favorite designer. There could also be a service discount based on the how much your content was accessed (Aka Royality system) whereby the coolest designers could actually even make money. Designers could also offer themselves out to design and or build for those people needing designer help.

Ok, you get the back drop for this, of course the possibilities are so vast that I can not describe them all here.

Is this already in the works?

E

Ronayne
December 9th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I am liking this idea! :D

aardvark1
December 9th, 2009, 03:19 PM
You may want to read this thread:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=12467

Jeff0809
December 9th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Im pretty much a noob to the whole online interaction thing with Trainz but im not new to the game itself i think this is a great idea.

Johnk
December 10th, 2009, 08:12 AM
The thread aardvark1 has pointed us to looks like another eleven pages of people wanting, but nobody doing. Just like the hundreds of similar threads we've all seen before.

Even Auran had an on-line game project lined up, but I'm inclined to think they found a more lucrative and less complex market selling rights to the DLS by way of First Class Tickets.

The concept which many wanted, seemed to keel over around the same time Fury fell over and the FCT was launched.

Online gaming can be worth a fortune, but most people out there prefer fantasy or shoot 'em up games. The dollars to be made are astonishing, but after the demise of Fury I think Auran may well of had enough with that kind of thing.

The concept of people building modules that link together to create a massive route has been tossed around before. here's once such thread:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=47549&highlight=module

The only way anything like these projects will ever work, is for the person behind the idea to bite the bullet and run with it. Having tried to inspire community members several dozen times in the past nine years and I know just how hard That is.

The Trainz Resources Directory (click signature below) has a mountain of storage space and more than enough bandwidth to handle a few dozen blogs, web sites or whatever where people can try these things out. I just recently cancelled a brilliant free server with PHP, MySQL, heaps of bandwidth and no advertising due to an absolute total lack of interest. I'm always happy to start it up again, but only if people get serious. I flogged it to death on these forums for a year, but got one single taker. That wasn't enough for me to keep it going.
I wish you luck on this one, but it may take you, and you alone to pull it off.
John

novastorm2000
December 10th, 2009, 10:42 AM
and I do not expect this idea to go anywhere fast, I suspected that if I read every post in the thread offered originally to me that it would amount to lots of wishes and wants and no real delivery of anything. I had actually read some of it before making my post and made my post because I saw nothing tangible in that thread after having read about 3 pages worth.

I agree that at this point with such awesome ideas on the table and no action or announcements that we'll see nothing.

I think I saw somehwere something on a free train package, the equivelant of an open source rail roading environment? Maybe thats the avenue and to make it compatible with other commercial package assets?

I know it won't be me to do anything more than toss out ideas and advice for any doers out there, got me a full plate already! :)

John, here is what I suggest if you have server space. Setup a Moodle instance and recruit a few people to start pulling together training materials covering all aspects of trains and make it a public resource. People might even entertain a $2 annual usage fee to help cover server costs, ect or you could even take donations.

You can then use TRD as a portal to link to the Moodle content, Wiki content, ect. Wiki content is fantastic for quick hit info, moodle would be great for deeper dives and actual documentation. There are other resources (names allude me) that can augment the DL station and allow people to create a more static world virtual train route. A project page dedicated to such and effort might be facintating to play around with, maybe someone can volunteer for that and a Wordpress Blog can be setup for such ideas.

Hope this helps and its all menat as friendly thoughts from a new person who obviously has a lot to still learn about the world of trains.

I am going to go back to focusing on trying to enjoy trains. :D

E

amigacooke
December 10th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Even Auran had an on-line game project lined up, but I'm inclined to think they found a more lucrative and less complex market selling rights to the DLS by way of First Class Tickets.

The concept which many wanted, seemed to keel over around the same time Fury fell over and the FCT was launched.

I bought my first 'First Class Ticket' on 14 February 2003 and Fury closed down in 2008 so the facts do not support the conclusion drawn.

Johnk
December 10th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Snippet:
I am going to go back to focusing on trying to enjoy trains.:D

Hey................ Who said that you can do that?

Right at this very point of time, I'm trying to get my Guitar site running and hopefully make a dollar, update my ageing PC Tutorials site which did make me a dollar and get another project much closer to my heart than Trainz off the ground.

Having said that, I can have a moodle site up and running within the hour, but it won't be me who runs it. Reason? I just do not have the time!

If you want me to set it up novastorm2000, I'll do it overnight as promised, but I'm afraid you, or someone else will have to run it. Please don't think I don't support the idea, I just don't have time to see it to it's conclusion. If anyone puts their hand up, I'll support them all the way and help them as much as I can. Any money you manage to make from the project is yours, no questions asked and no hosting fees to pay.

Good luck

John.

Johnk
December 10th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Snippet: I bought my first 'First Class Ticket' on 14 February 2003 and Fury closed down in 2008 so the facts do not support the conclusion drawn.

Is that right? I was well and truly amongst it in 2003 and I don't recall a First Class Ticket way back then. If I did, I think I would have been as vocal about it then as I am now. Even if you're right and you may well be, correlation has nothing to do with it. There's more money to be made in slowing down servers and dishing out First Class Tickets than there ever would be trying to control a thousand madmen/women trying to play an on-line game.

amigacooke
December 10th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Even if you're right and you may well be, correlation has nothing to do with it. There's more money to be made in slowing down servers and dishing out First Class Tickets than there ever would be trying to control a thousand madmen/women trying to play an on-line game.
I don't really see the point of this particular speculation. It costs money to run servers that supply content, so like uktrainsim.com, Auran offer an enhanced service to mitigate the cost.

Johnk
December 10th, 2009, 12:32 PM
amigacooke after reading your signature, I make no further comment!:eek:

StorkNest
December 10th, 2009, 10:51 PM
You don't even need a login to read. Been over a year but I guess this has taken up some TPR members' time, I'm not in the Yahoo group to tell.
http://www.trainzproroutes.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6597
And the post with the Yahoo group link.
http://www.trainzproroutes.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6609
From the latest messages there, looks like interest dropped. If this is REALLY something you want, you would have to see if you could get involved and get enough folks together spending time to develop it.