PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions 2010

mistermoet
December 6th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I installed 2010 - looks good - my system got all green ticks in the setup I then decided to have a look around at any new features - also looked at the new routes and sessions - I selected the "Avery-Drexel" route to see how the trains ran and any new features - liked the "Trees" feature - I then decided to edit the route - just as an exercise to see what I could add or delete to the layout - seems that there just too many splines in the layout - my computer was forever lagging or freezing completely - ctrl+alt+delete showed that the program was not responding on numerous occasions - when I finally got some editing done and replaced some lines with my selctions and placed a train on the line and went into "Quick Drive" the train ran ok but what is with the lines? they constantly keep redrawing in front of the moving train - very annoying - that is far as i have got
would like some other first impressions

regards to all :)

Sourdough
December 6th, 2009, 08:49 PM
would like some other first impressions

regards to all :)
One only needs to read elsewhere for many first impressions of 2010....:cool:

Sek_Hakuna
December 6th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Here ya go:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=48810

Randy

rss0900
December 7th, 2009, 06:22 PM
In regards to your request for opinions. I came from Ultimate Trainz, never tried 2009, so I thought 2010 would be a huge improvement. Well, I'm disappointed to be honest, it felt like I was still playing Trainz from years ago. I admit I'm a amature at trainz and compared to most of you I have no idea what I'm doing but based on just loading up a train and route in DCC mode and hooking and unhooking cars just to run industry routes, well again very disappointed. As I was downloading TRS2010 I read about Railworks and called a friend who had it and after watching it on his PC, now I'm really sad I bought this one. Maybe the seasonsed Trainz lovers have great things to say about this version, but from again from an ameture, I'm wondering what I just paid 50 bucks for over the prior version I had. Maybe it will grow on me?

The new speed trees are an improvement and some of the engines look nice but the rest is just plain-BLA boring to look at.

airtime
December 7th, 2009, 06:35 PM
In regards to your request for opinions. I came from Ultimate Trainz, never tried 2009, so I thought 2010 would be a huge improvement. Well, I'm disappointed to be honest, it felt like I was still playing Trainz from years ago. I admit I'm a amature at trainz and compared to most of you I have no idea what I'm doing but based on just loading up a train and route in DCC mode and hooking and unhooking cars just to run industry routes, well again very disappointed. As I was downloading TRS2010 I read about Railworks and called a friend who had it and after watching it on his PC, now I'm really sad I bought this one. Maybe the seasonsed Trainz lovers have great things to say about this version, but from again from an ameture, I'm wondering what I just paid 50 bucks for over the prior version I had. Maybe it will grow on me?

The new speed trees are an improvement and some of the engines look nice but the rest is just plain-BLA boring to look at.

I understand your point, especially comparing Trainz to Railworks, Railworks does look better in places, but then again trainz is better in other places...

What I'm trying to say is, you can drive trains, you can build routes and you can make your own trains instantly in Trainz 2010, what more can you ask for...

As for Railworks, you can drive trains in Railworks, you'll struggle to build routes and get even more frustrated when the whole thing goes pair shaped, all the time, and as for making your own consists, well good luck on that, I couldn't get them to click into place on the track, you can place them anywhere, they can't find the track, but I'm sure when you get Railworks, you'll realise Trainz was much easier to use...

If you want realism and realistic trains - go with Railworks

If you want to build routes, build consists and drive trains without fuss - go with Trainz

If your unsure, then try both out, that's what most of us have done, I use Railworks for driving, and Trainz for route building and driving...

Joe Airtime

rss0900
December 7th, 2009, 06:40 PM
thanks Joe for the explanation. As I mentioned I'm just an ameture and honestly my idea of which is better really does not apply to 99% of you guys. You and the other forum members are the experts on the product and know much better then do I what each can do. I was just simply saying from my amerture perspetive, loading up a train in DCC mode, and driving around to do industry looks pretty much the same in 2010 as it did in 2006 or Ultimate Trainz, whichever I had (trees being the exception of course). I'm sure each product has it's pros and cons. I'm hoping as I continue to explore trainz 2010, my idea of the product will change with time.

StorkNest
December 7th, 2009, 06:44 PM
rss0900,
You mention going from UTC to TS2010, that's a huge jump in computer needs. You may have gotten comfortable with a computer that can run UTC but cannot run TS2010 well.

airtime
December 7th, 2009, 06:52 PM
thanks Joe for the explanation. As I mentioned I'm just an ameture and honestly my idea of which is better really does not apply to 99% of you guys. You and the other forum members are the experts on the product and know much better then do I what each can do. I was just simply saying from my amerture perspetive, loading up a train in DCC mode, and driving around to do industry looks pretty much the same in 2010 as it did in 2006 or Ultimate Trainz, whichever I had (trees being the exception of course). I'm sure each product has it's pros and cons. I'm hoping as I continue to explore trainz 2010, my idea of the product will change with time.

The thing is my friend, if your stuck with any part of Trainz, we'll help you... and if your stuck with any part of Railworks, we'll still help you.

This is the most freindliest forum I've ever come across, and we are always willing to help each other out, and yes from time to time, we have disagreements, but doesn't everyone, but in the end we are all still friends on here, and our duty is to help as many as we can, with any problems they are having with trainz...

So remember, your not on your own, you do have freinds on here, and we are always willing to help...

Try Railworks, you'll like the driving bit, I did, I didn't like the surveyor bit, but you might be more luckier than me and actually get a train to sit on the track, I never quite mastered that...

Anyway, good luck in whatever you decide...

Joe Airtime

rss0900
December 7th, 2009, 06:54 PM
rss0900,
You mention going from UTC to TS2010, that's a huge jump in computer needs. You may have gotten comfortable with a computer that can run UTC but cannot run TS2010 well.

No performance issues, I'm lucky to have plenty of engine in the current beast. I've got everything maxed out without issue.

martinvk
December 7th, 2009, 09:55 PM
An interesting thread and educational too. rss0900 is able to do what I have not been able to for a long time, that is, see Trainz and other train sims through the eyes of beginner. And from his candid observations I gather that if you're into pretty pictures or just want to hop in and drive around, RailWorks will do but if you actually want to build and create, Trainz is the place to be. Although, from my biased perspective, I never had much trouble just going for a drive in Trainz or create objects and routes but that's just me. :eek:

Actually I've had this impression for some time now. Whenever enthusiasts mention RailWorks, they inevitably tout how realistic it looks. Nice if you like dioramas but ask about signals or actually creating and see how fast they change the topic. And then there is their new delivery system, ouch. Plus, say what you will about Auran's DLS, warts and all, it sure is nice to have so much content in one place. :)

Baelthazar
December 8th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Hey all,

I've been seeing people say that their performance is much better, but I would really like to get a clear view of this. My laptop had terrible problems running Trainz 2009, and it stuttered to the point that I literally couldn't ever enjoy the game. Has anyone who had this problem tried Trainz 2010 to see if this has improved considerably?

My specs are:
Windows 7 32-bit
Intel Dual Core 2.0Ghz
nVidia 8600M GT 256MB
4GB RAM

I play at 1440x900 (my monitors resolution). I never understood the problem - I can run Dragon Age, and other graphically intense games, but not the far less demanding Trainz 2009. I've been tempted by Railworks (which I hear has pretty modest requirements), but I was always more attracted to the simplicity in the Trainz system (and people say Railworks is complicated and I'm not into their DLC system (i.e. pay through the nose for every tiny new route or train).

Baelthazar

martinvk
December 8th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Hey all,

I've been seeing people say that their performance is much better, but I would really like to get a clear view of this. My laptop had terrible problems running Trainz 2009, and it stuttered to the point that I literally couldn't ever enjoy the game. Has anyone who had this problem tried Trainz 2010 to see if this has improved considerably?

My specs are:
Windows 7 32-bit
Intel Dual Core 2.0Ghz
nVidia 8600M GT 256MB
4GB RAM

I play at 1440x900 (my monitors resolution). I never understood the problem - I can run Dragon Age, and other graphically intense games, but not the far less demanding Trainz 2009. ...route or train).

Baelthazar
Do you have the latest video drivers? And is that a built-in video card?

I think you'll find that Trainz is actually more graphic intense. Remember it has to generate a 360 degree virtual world on the fly as it were. Most other games have prerendered points of view, much easier on the graphics engine.

StorkNest
December 8th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Baelthazar,

I believe it is more of a laptop vs. desktop issue for you and some others.
Even though your video card is the right type, with only 256MB dedicated to it, once that fills up Trainz will look for some of the 4GB of RAM for more video, the same 4GB it will look for to run non-video items, the same 4GB Windows wants for whatever it does even when Trainz is running. Also check whether that 256 video memory is really seperate or part of the 4GB.
Also the resolution adds to memory needed. Back when I started with UTC and TRS2004, even tough I could run the highest reolution, I had no choice but to run the lower 800x600 just to get decent FPS.
Finally, while it may look like Trainz alone doesn't work on laptops, this is not always true. Laptops are just not good at running some games and simulators. I had a friend who had a laptop, the specs lined up perfectly for running a game called Neverwinter Nights 2. But no matter how hard he tried, it never ran on the laptop. It is simply that laptops are designed a bit diferently than desktops. Part of my friend's problem is that the way the laptop was advertised, it looks like the video memory is seperate but in reality it is part of the whole computer RAM. Your 256MB video may actually be part of the 4GB meaning you really have about 3,744MB RAM left over.