PDA

View Full Version : Professional GMAX Texturer Needed

Sampug394
September 8th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Apply Within. :hehe:

Anyway, I REALLY need help. Those who are Reading this may have seen my Thread about the 'Razor Trains', and with that, simulatortrain and I have run into an Issue with the Prototypical model: It simply Refuses to be Textured!

I would like for Somebody who knows how to do Textures well to Assist with the Model. I will E-Mail the GMAX File to whoever takes this on...

Please Help,

Sampug394 :(

norfolksouthern37
September 8th, 2009, 07:31 PM
it refused?

Sampug394
September 8th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Yes. Flat out Refusal. PM simulatortrain if you want more details about the Issue, as he's the one who's done Multiple attempts.

Sampug394
September 9th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I could've sworn there's More than one person on these forums that could be of Potential Help... :o

Dinorius_Redundicus
September 9th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Can you get Simulatortrain on here to explain in more detail what the problem is?

I'd be willing to have a look if all you want is to know what happens on another computer. However I have never textured a loco or any rolling stock before so I am not saying I'm an expert. I think my e-mail address is in my profile if you want to send files. If not, tell me via this thread or a PM.

~ Deane

p.s. you might have got more responses by posting in the Content Creation Support section.

johnwhelan
September 10th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Are you asking for some one to do this for free or are you throwing a few hundred $ at this?

GMAX texturing is the most complex bit of GMAX, if the poly count is fairly low you might do better to export an .md3 file and import it to Blender and texture in Blender or even start again in Blender. Do you have a texture file prepared?

Thanks

Cheerio John

Sampug394
September 10th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Are you asking for some one to do this for free or are you throwing a few hundred $ at this?

GMAX texturing is the most complex bit of GMAX, if the poly count is fairly low you might do better to export an .md3 file and import it to Blender and texture in Blender or even start again in Blender. Do you have a texture file prepared?

Thanks

Cheerio John

Nono, this is Free. I've continually talked back and forth to simulatortrain, as he's the one who's Attempted to do the Texturing Many times, and the Model does not Display said Changes.

*The Locomotive is Roughly 50,000 Polys as well...

johnwhelan
September 10th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Nono, this is Free. I've continually talked back and forth to simulatortrain, as he's the one who's Attempted to do the Texturing Many times, and the Model does not Display said Changes.

*The Locomotive is Roughly 50,000 Polys as well...

At 50k polys I'd start again, it doesn't look that complicated a shape, have a read of the TC3 CCG first for design guidelines.

GMAX can be used for content creation but it has a steep learning curve.

Cheerio John

Sampug394
September 10th, 2009, 08:32 AM
At 50k polys I'd start again, it doesn't look that complicated a shape, have a read of the TC3 CCG first for design guidelines.

GMAX can be used for content creation but it has a steep learning curve.

Cheerio John

Actually, the Locomotive had a Measly Poly Count of a Few Thousand before the Side Pipes were Added, which Have 25K each. :confused:

bnsf50
September 10th, 2009, 09:22 AM
25000 is a bit high for pipeing. If you're using the line and loft method to make the pipes, check the skin parameters shape and step value's. They default to 5@ which will take a 32 poly pipe up to 900+ polys. Those values need to be knocked down to 0.
Likewise if you're using the tube method, that defaults to 5 sections which will multiply your poly count by 5, which needs to be only 1 usually.

You can also check the sides being used for the pipeing. The smaller the pipe the less sides it will need to still look round.

norfolksouthern37
September 10th, 2009, 09:22 AM
is this related to the razor locomotive? i don't have gmax around anymore, but there is a manual with it. i know some of you guys don't want to hear that kind of help but it does make it easier if you know what you are doing in the modeler. i don't see any reason a model would not be able to be textured unless you somehow did not apply the modifier correctly or somehow mapped it on the wrong channel while viewing another channel and expect to see the results, but if you haven't learned to use the program you wont know what i am saying anyhow.

line and loft is a pain in the butt btw, and is more trouble than it is worth, use line and render instead.

bnsf50
September 10th, 2009, 09:38 AM
What is line and render? I use line and loft all of the time without any problem.

norfolksouthern37
September 10th, 2009, 10:49 AM
its where you draw the line and rather than loft some object onto it , you just tell it to be render-able and how many sides you want. this leaves a dyanmic object that you can change if you want, unlike a loft which would have to be done again if it needed any changes.

bnsf50
September 10th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Ok thanks I'll have to try that one.

norfolksouthern37
September 10th, 2009, 01:13 PM
yea i think i posted this as a response to simulatortrain a while back http://www.jointedrail.com/tutorial/hrme.htm

bnsf50
September 10th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks, just tried it and it works great.

A small note to this is that the window that is called "rendering" in 3ds is called "mesh settings" in Gmax.