PDA

View Full Version : trainz...so much wrong with this software.

hotgrove
September 2nd, 2009, 01:14 AM
So many problems with this.

Screen has gone small......cant get out of night time mode......continual crashes.

Using a new laptop with up to the date features.
All other software runs great apart from this.

Comes as no great surprise that i can't find many trainz products on the shelves these days.....time to uninstall and throw this crap in the bin.

trainzamtrakfan
September 2nd, 2009, 01:46 AM
how about posting your:

A) Trainz Version
B) Trainz Running Number ex: 38017
B) Computer Specs

then maybe we can help you

Andre

Vern
September 2nd, 2009, 02:17 AM
I have been running Trainz (all versions) on laptops and PC's for years with little trouble.

If you are running a laptop with an integrated graphics chip then Trainz probably won't run properly, it needs a dedicated Nvidia or ATI chip.

As regards content, would suggest you check out the DLS... There is a wealth of free content there for the asking, probably more than for MSTS and a drastic improvement over RS/RW where micro-payware has taken over and people are charging £12 for a single loco to run in a borked sim.

BLACKWATCH
September 2nd, 2009, 07:18 PM

Screen has gone small......cant get out of night time mode......continual crashes.

Comes as no great surprise that i can't find many trainz products on the shelves these days.....time to uninstall and throw this crap in the bin.

It must be you & your machine, cos there's literally thousands of us out here running it with no problem, some of us on old machines too. (check my spec's below) :D

ct_krogen
September 2nd, 2009, 09:17 PM

duh, most of the trainz products are bought, online,,,,,,what do you mean sceen gone small???

trainzamtrakfan
September 2nd, 2009, 09:51 PM
It must be you & your machine, cos there's literally thousands of us out here running it with no problem, some of us on old machines too. (check my spec's below) :D

thousands? maybe hundred thousands

JIb228
September 2nd, 2009, 11:24 PM
I picked my copy of TRS06 at a computer store, or was it office max? I dont remember, but I know it was a store as I payed cash.

But back on topic...

If your unhappy with the game, why are you telling us the your getting rid of it?

As fore the "Screen gone small" quote. I think the game has windowed on him, but it made it uber small. My friend had this happen with him with another game, it might be a Vista issue as thats what he was running on his computer.

hotgrove, if thats what OS your computer use's, then you might try running it in compatibility mode for XP. That MIGHT help.

And you could have the most recant up dates for every thing, if you dont have the power under the hood then your going to have some issues. I was having issues with 512mb of RAM, I just bumped up to 1gig and am havering 90% fewer issues. And all my drivers are out of date for I am too lazy to update them.

johnwhelan
September 3rd, 2009, 06:30 AM

First lap tops and Trainz do not play well together. Lap tops are built to keep the power requirements down not for performance. Trainz needs performance.

Try TS2009 if you have a dual core machine. I see on an earlier post you are running a version of TRS2006. Basically this version doesn't use the second core.

Small window, TRS2006 defaults to a screen size you need to change this in your options.txt file your lap top is probably not 1024 by 768 or whatever the default screen size is.

Does your lay top have a graphics card or is it on board? If it's on board buy yourself a separate desk top with a decent graphics card if you wish to run Trainz.

Search for lap tops in the forum for more ways to get the software to run and what is required to run it. Next time before buying a laptop work out what your requirements are before purchase.

Cheerio John

jdenm8
September 3rd, 2009, 06:41 AM
I read your previous posts. In none of them did you post the build number, one of the most pivotal factors for people to give you help, even though you were asked.
Another thing we generally ask for is your system's specs. Having a computer under spec will hinder the usability of Trainz. Sometimes, there are other people on the forums that has a computer of the same spec and had the same problems and fixed it.

With drivers, most computers come from the factory with very out of date drivers for everything (A quick trip to the control panel would have informed you of this)! I recently bought a new laptop and the drivers for the graphics card that were installed at the factory were written by ATI in 2007. Two years before my model laptop was even introduced! All manufacturers are guilty of this and even the drivers you recieve with a brand new piece of hardware are generally out of date by several months, or even up to a year.

Calling Trainz "crap" (which it isn't. I should know, I have all bar the latest version and prefer it over MSTS) is kind of an insult. It's like getting support from anywhere, you need to give all of the required information before anyone can help you.

I do not mean to insult you, just to convey the messages stated above. Give the community a chance. Maybe try Helpdesk if you want a prompt response.

As for reccomendations, try running Trainz in OpenGL or DirextX. Whichever one you aren't using at the moment. Changing this can make your Trainz experience more enjoyable and even prevent engine crashes. Also, check if there is an improved build or Service Pack for your version. Generally these have most of the problems fixed.

hotgrove
September 3rd, 2009, 10:06 AM
Ok....sorry for saying trainz was crap.

My frustration boiled over.

I see open GL written at the bottom of the window.....window still dosen't fill the screen though.

Sourdough
September 3rd, 2009, 10:34 AM
.....time to uninstall and throw this crap in the bin.
Which 'crap' are you referring to....the software or your laptop?...:cool:

johnwhelan
September 3rd, 2009, 10:38 AM
Ok....sorry for saying trainz was crap.

My frustration boiled over.

I see open GL written at the bottom of the window.....window still dosen't fill the screen though.

OK what's your screen resolution on your lap top? Is your lap top dual core? How much memory do you have, what is the graphic card?

Thanks John

hminky
September 3rd, 2009, 11:00 AM
There is so much right with it as well.

Give Railworks a try and then come back and tell me Trainz is "crap".

cheers,
Mike.

So very true, at least 2006 works so there is Trainz until they get the bugs out of 2009.

Harold

klambert
September 3rd, 2009, 01:30 PM

erm whats new. Just glad Its been alright for me touch wood

tomurban
September 3rd, 2009, 06:45 PM

Please read my post (the last one in the 1st 2006 thread by Tony. I suspect that either your GPU or CPU or both lack the horse power to run Trainz. You seem reluctant to post your computer specs. I doubt that the program itself is at fault here.

Vern
September 4th, 2009, 02:45 AM
There is so much right with it as well.

Give Railworks a try and then come back and tell me Trainz is "crap".

cheers,
Mike.

Amen. The one constant, even with all the other sims...is that I keep coming back to Trainz.

hotgrove
September 4th, 2009, 06:53 AM
OK what's your screen resolution on your lap top? Is your lap top dual core? How much memory do you have, what is the graphic card?

Thanks John

Memory 3GB

Virtual memory 6.12GB

processor Pentium (r) Dual Core CPU.

cant see anything about graphics card or screen resolution.

johnwhelan
September 4th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Memory 3GB

Virtual memory 6.12GB

processor Pentium (r) Dual Core CPU.

cant see anything about graphics card or screen resolution.

Google your make and model number of lap top, some of the newer slim line ones have very limited graphics options. There should be a way to display your graphics card, I suspect it's an on board one that uses main memory so that isn't really going to work to well with Trainz. TS2009 will at least make use of both cores and that might well be the cheapest option that might make a difference. Try running with the power cord pulled in sometimes that can make a difference.

The cpu model is important some have more cache than others have a browse over at tomshardware.com for background information.

Cheerio John

john259
September 4th, 2009, 08:37 AM
If you still can't find the details of graphics, you might like try Belarc Advisor (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html). It's a free, very simple and totally safe program which tells you a lot of information about your computer.

John

hotgrove
September 4th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Having looked at other posts there is obviously a lot of positives regarding trainz,but unfortunately not for me.

After spending 2 hrs of track laying and landscaping i got a fatal error message and the whole lot was wiped out in the blink of an eye.

This is only one of many problems i've experienced with this software and i reluctantly had to uninstall.....a former user told me trainz almost ruined his computer.....dont ask me how.
Must be just a coincidence because all other software runs as smooth as silk.

It's a great pity as it looks enjoyable but far too many negatives:(

Napalm
September 4th, 2009, 02:01 PM
.....a former user told me trainz almost ruined his computer.....dont ask me how.
Must be just a coincidence because all other software runs as smooth as silk.

So Trainz 'almost ruined' your computer?

Taking the advice of one 'former' user and not asking for help from the community is a big problem. A majotiry if problems and faults that occur with Trainz is down to User error or System problems, i.e. out of date drivers, in-compatible hardware etc.

If there is a major problem ask here and also ask the Helpdesk, a link for which can be found above.

Nathan

PerRock
September 4th, 2009, 02:47 PM
hotgrove, a couple questions that still needs answering:

-What version of trainz are you running? currently there are 7 different versions out there.

-What OS are you running? (Vista? XP? OSX?)

-Graphics information.

~Graphics Card: Here is how to get the info:
Go to the start menu; in the search bar at the bottom (XP click "Run" first) type in: "dxdiag" this will run a windows program that will provide all the system info we need (plus a bunch we don't need) It will also tell you if there are any errors in your graphics card or sound card (this is useful if you built your own system, which you didn't)
My guess is that your downfall is in your graphics card; probably an Intel Extreme chipset.

~Screen Resolution: Right click on your desktop; go to "Properties"(XP) or "Personalize"(Vista) then click on "Display Settings" (tab in XP, link in Vista) There is a 'Snap bar' labled "Resolution" underneath the bar it will say something like: "800 by 600 pixels" (the numbers will probably be different).

Report back when you have that info. and we'll move on tot he next steps. I'll posts my dxdag as an example when I'm on my windows computer.

peter

mjolnir
September 4th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Having looked at other posts there is obviously a lot of positives regarding trainz,but unfortunately not for me.

After spending 2 hrs of track laying and landscaping i got a fatal error message and the whole lot was wiped out in the blink of an eye.

Well, here's a hint that has nothing to do with your computer specifications: If I'd spent two hours on track and landscaping, I'd have at least 4, and perhaps as many as 10 different routes, because I'm conditioned when working on a large project to save regularly. If I save every 10 minutes (making a dozen backups in 2 hours), I can go back after the 9th save and get rid of the first six, but if I get a fatal error, I lose, at most, 10 minutes worth of work.

ns

hotgrove
September 4th, 2009, 03:45 PM
hotgrove, a couple questions that still needs answering:

-What version of trainz are you running? currently there are 7 different versions out there.

-What OS are you running? (Vista? XP? OSX?)

-Graphics information.

~Graphics Card: Here is how to get the info:
Go to the start menu; in the search bar at the bottom (XP click "Run" first) type in: "dxdiag" this will run a windows program that will provide all the system info we need (plus a bunch we don't need) It will also tell you if there are any errors in your graphics card or sound card (this is useful if you built your own system, which you didn't)
My guess is that your downfall is in your graphics card; probably an Intel Extreme chipset.

~Screen Resolution: Right click on your desktop; go to "Properties"(XP) or "Personalize"(Vista) then click on "Display Settings" (tab in XP, link in Vista) There is a 'Snap bar' labled "Resolution" underneath the bar it will say something like: "800 by 600 pixels" (the numbers will probably be different).

Report back when you have that info. and we'll move on tot he next steps. I'll posts my dxdag as an example when I'm on my windows computer.

peter

It just says trainz railway simulator....ultimate collection (2 discs)

I'm using vista and thinking ive made a mistake switching from xp.

Still no further forward with graphics card or screen resolution info ?

PerRock
September 4th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Whats your make and model of computer?

It should say (usually below or above the screen) the make (like: Sony, HP, Dell, etc) then usually somewhere off to the side above or below the screen it'll say the model. this is usually a combinations of letters and numbers. for instance my Sony's is "VGN-FZ320E"

peter

hotgrove
September 4th, 2009, 04:36 PM
It's a Dell Inspiron 1545

chefbyte
September 4th, 2009, 04:50 PM

So you either have a Intel Integrated GMA 4500MHD card or a 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD4330

which one is it?

Try running DXDiag tool?

Click on Start > type dxdiag in the search files box and click the DxDiag.exe file, run the test and then save the report and post it on here so others can see what your running

Mike10
September 4th, 2009, 04:50 PM

Dell's website says: "Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD "

Here's where it ranks in the list of laptop graphics solutions:

http://optimitza.cat/news/2008/09/03/laptop-graphic-card-performance-geforce-9200m-9300m-9500m-9600m-mobility-radeon-3450-3470-3650/

(Look way down the bottom of the chart)

Mike.

hotgrove
September 4th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Dell's website says: "Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD "

Here's where it ranks in the list of laptop graphics solutions:

http://optimitza.cat/news/2008/09/03/laptop-graphic-card-performance-geforce-9200m-9300m-9500m-9600m-mobility-radeon-3450-3470-3650/

(Look way down the bottom of the chart)

Mike.

To cut a long story short.....my specs are rank :D

Well....no point in spending ££££££ just to run a railway sim.

Disappointed but that's life.

Mike10
September 4th, 2009, 05:04 PM
To be fair, it is the best of the integrated graphics solutions out there at the moment and to be honest I was surprised to see it ranked where it was in this chart;

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

It is on a par with what would have been top end cards from a couple of years ago.

But there's a lot of difference between an on-board chip and a dedicated card even from a couple of years back.

Laptops can be a minefield and if you want one for games it won't be one of the budget ones and some careful research is required.

Mike.

hotgrove
September 4th, 2009, 05:17 PM
To be fair, it is the best of the integrated graphics solutions out there at the moment and to be honest I was surprised to see it ranked where it was in this chart;

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

It is on a par with what would have been top end cards from a couple of years ago.

But there's a lot of difference between an on-board chip and a dedicated card even from a couple of years back.

Laptops can be a minefield and if you want one for games it won't be one of the budget ones and some careful research is required.

Mike.

Thanks for that.....trainz seems to have infinite possibilities and looks good when working properly.....however not good enough to splash out on an expensive upgrade so im gonna have to let it go.

I've given up on it but thanks to all for the feedback.

johnwhelan
September 4th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks for that.....trainz seems to have infinite possibilities and looks good when working properly.....however not good enough to splash out on an expensive upgrade so im gonna have to let it go.

I've given up on it but thanks to all for the feedback.

Run the Belarc Advisor software and let's see which cpu you have.

The options seem to be

Intel® Celeron® Dual-Core
Intel® Core™2 Duo
Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core

If it's Celeron then give, up if its the more powerful one TS2009 might work if you put the performance settings back to min.

Vista doesn't help in this case, you take about a 10% performance hit with vista over XP.

Cheerio John

hotgrove
September 4th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Run the Belarc Advisor software and let's see which cpu you have.

The options seem to be

Intel® Celeron® Dual-Core
Intel® Core™2 Duo
Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core

If it's Celeron then give, up if its the more powerful one TS2009 might work if you put the performance settings back to min.

Vista doesn't help in this case, you take about a 10% performance hit with vista over XP.

Cheerio John

For what it's worth.....i have the pentium (r) dual core.

ct_krogen
September 4th, 2009, 07:22 PM
how much ram do you have

johnwhelan
September 4th, 2009, 07:53 PM
how much ram do you have

3 mbs.

Cheerio John

johnwhelan
September 4th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I think you should be able to upgrade the graphics to a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/dell-inspiron-15/4505-3121_7-33542151.html

I get the impression that it should cost about $100 or so. The 4330 is respectable enough for Trainz. Even without putting TS2009 WBE on should get you more performance since it can wring more out of your dual core cpu especially in native mode. Amazon have it for 9 quid apparently, or there is download from Auran if you want to be nice to Auran $29 US.

I'd try it.

Also search around and see if there are any later drivers available for your on board graphics card etc. New drivers may well make a difference.

Cheerio John

john259
September 5th, 2009, 12:39 AM
In the Trainz options, try sliding all the quality settings down to the extreme left. It won't look good but it will run a bit quicker. Also select a lower resolution in Trainz. Apologies if you've already done this.

The main other affect on performance is having numerous different types of objects visible at the same time. For example, fifteen identical wagons have far less effect than fifteen different wagons. The same is true for trees, buildings, etc.

You may still be able to have fun doing some relatively simple and small things in Trainz, for example a freight yard on one baseboard.

John

StorkNest
September 5th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Vista and a non-2009 Trainz.
Only one thing I don't see mentioned.
Was it set for Run as Administrator? Because no non-2009 Trainz works in Vista without that except a newly purchased TRS2006 with SP1 builtin that came in my Railwayz set. All else needed Run as Administrator.