PDA

View Full Version : Enlarging Grass Spline?

boleyd
August 19th, 2009, 05:37 AM
I would like to enlarge the width of one of JVC's grass splines. In the spline's CFG there is a width value but it does not seem to have any affect. Any hints?

gfisher
August 19th, 2009, 07:14 AM
The value you are looking at only tells trainz the width of the spline as it was created in gmax. It does not change the width, as that is set in gmax. Only the creator, in this case Jankvis, can change the width of the spline.

boleyd
August 19th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Ok, thanks. Would be nice to have some wide grass splines to populate fields.

boleyd
August 19th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Parellel does two things. It gives an FPS hit depending upon the size of the field and the viewing depth. The other thing is that parallel rows are good if it is a planted field but a natural grass arrangement needs splines running about at angles or circles to avoid seeing rows of grass- also an FPS hit. You can make a quite nice fields with a forest background if the FPS hold up. Oh well, Christmas is coming and I worked hard:hehe: so A new PC is warranted.

Ronayne
August 21st, 2009, 06:42 PM
I am having a problem with this grass.
When i look at it from at distace, its not there. I can't see it unless i am very close to it.

Paul_Bert
August 21st, 2009, 10:32 PM
I am having a problem with this grass.
When i look at it from at distace, its not there. I can't see it unless i am very close to it.

I'm not sure which grass you are referring to, however when grass splines seem to stop a bit down the track you can often fix this issue by editing the config.txt file of the asset and delete the Unit_Mesh line.

This will stop the asset using the equivalent of LOD for splines, but the downside is that it will affect your framerates as they draw well into the distance.

angelah
August 22nd, 2009, 03:08 AM
The JVC grass splines that have an @ in the name do not use LOD so do not disappear. I found this business of having assets suddenly pop out of nowhere right in front of your eyes very offputting to be honest and Jankvis kindly made a second set with the @ so they didn't.
As far as laying splines side by side, try not to put the spline points next to each other, that will help break up the grass 'pattern'. Another trick I have used is to use a couple of the wide splines then choose a texture as near the same colour as possible and use that beyond, that 'hides' the area where no splines are used away from tracks.

Angela

boleyd
August 22nd, 2009, 07:30 AM
Is there a document describing the various lines in vegetation's config.txt file?