PDA

View Full Version : Trainz 2004 - need ingame help please

Starblaze
August 17th, 2009, 02:14 PM
hello
So basically i have this issue, i managed to start and run a train (as an engineer)
I learned how to use the W,X and S key and how to maintain speed
but I have one major issue, it seems that i cant figure how to deal with and no in
game tutorial covering it, those are THE BRAKES! :confused:
yeah i know its weird that the game wont tech you how to stop lol
sure they told me about the pressure thingy and all that but for some odd
reason it takes AGEs for me to stop, I am practically forced to use emergency brakes
if I want to stop in time at the station

Plus i cant figure out how to play in any other mode then just a driver?

and if you guys have a minute
can any of you please tell me if its possible to run this game in a windowed mode?

Cheers :p

gary6204
August 17th, 2009, 02:22 PM
yes it is possible to run in a windowed mode (but you probaly won't be able to leave that window). for brakes, try pressing A and E. as A is regular brakes and E is independent brake.
also, on the main screen, it should say surveyer, railyard, driver, and quit. you should be able to click on one of those 4 and will bring you into a different mode.

Starblaze
August 17th, 2009, 02:27 PM
yes it is possible to run in a windowed mode (but you probaly won't be able to leave that window). for brakes, try pressing A and E. as A is regular brakes and E is independent brake.
also, on the main screen, it should say surveyer, railyard, driver, and quit. you should be able to click on one of those 4 and will bring you into a different mode.

what is the differance of regular and independant brakes?
and how do i run it in a window mode? =\

gary6204
August 17th, 2009, 02:30 PM
i really don't know.

also to release the brakes, press Q for regular and either E again or D.

for window mode, when you launch the game, it should say something like start, options, ect. go to options, display settings, and then uncheck fullscreen.

hope this helps!

Starblaze
August 17th, 2009, 02:39 PM
i really don't know.

also to release the brakes, press Q for regular and either E again or D.

for window mode, when you launch the game, it should say something like start, options, ect. go to options, display settings, and then uncheck fullscreen.

hope this helps!

thanks but there is no such option in the options window.... (at all)
only DirectX\OpenGL and 16\32bit color, thats all.

gary6204
August 17th, 2009, 02:42 PM
then when your in game, if you click the windows key, it should drop to show the desktop where you can do anything and still have the game where you left it.

Starblaze
August 17th, 2009, 02:55 PM
then when your in game, if you click the windows key, it should drop to show the desktop where you can do anything and still have the game where you left it.
yeah but i want to play in a windowed mode
(got widescreen LCD and it looks poop with TRS2004 top native resolution)

And i just checked, i have no other option then to play as a Driver...
I have 1 option to design levels
then the Driver option
then Scenarios
and the Quit
that is all

john259
August 17th, 2009, 02:57 PM
There are two driving modes, DCC and CAB.

DCC mode is easiest. You press > to go faster, < to go slower (and into reverse), and / to stop. There are no brakes but trains slow down quickly except on steep slopes.

CAB mode is more realistic and more difficult. The details vary between steam locos and diesels and electrics. You'll need to study the manual and probably also look up some terms on Wikipedia to see how things such as Westinghouse brakes work in real trains. In CAB mode diesel-electrics and electrics can use dynamic braking where the electric motor acts as a generator to cause braking.

You can also create instructions to make trains run under program control. There are three ways of doing this. In the game itself, create a Driver session with Driver Commands and other Rules. Or download Trainz Pro Routes' SCS2004 (Scenario Creation System) in which you can make interactive activities. Or you can write scenarios in the GameScript programming language which is based on "C" with Trainz and some object-oriented extensions.

The Options menu leads to an option to run windowed.

This program is complex and multi-faceted. You will need to read the manual and explore its various aspects. If you do that, it will reward you enormously.

Keep asking questions!

John

Starblaze
August 17th, 2009, 03:23 PM
lol i know about the driving modes....
the boring mode and the confusing mode :D
i am intersted in the confusing mode
that is why i have issues with brakes...

And the game options DONT HAVE window option!
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/823/76205903.jpg

ct_krogen
August 17th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Plus i cant figure out how to play in any other mode then just a driver?

why play in a window mode,, i don't think 04 has a window mode,, only full screen mode,,,

Twodorgs
August 18th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Hi Starblaze,
Sorry you are looking at the wrong options.

Using Windows navigate to your TRS folder and open
trainzoptions.txt
in a text editor.
you should find an entry
-fullscreen
Try removing that or replacing it with the windowed command
How ever it should not be necessary, add these commands to trainzoptions.txt
-width=1680
-height=1050
( change numbers to suit your monitor )
That should fix your display problem. On some monitors you still need to enter another option to fix the aspect ratio but can't remember them, do a forum search.

Other handy trainzoption.txt commands;
-Intro=disable
-FreeIntCam ( lets you move your in cab camera while driving )
-showkuids ( shows current selected objects kuid No in Surveyor )

Hope this helps.
Lindsay

mikeaust
August 18th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Hi,
To get the train to stop quicker, I put the brakes on and go to reverse to slow down. Helps with switching too. Not realistic but who cares.
Some locos are worse than others to answer the brakes.
The difference in the bakes is that the train brakes are applied by pressing the Z then pressing the A a number of times to apply full braking.
The E button applies the engine brakes only.
Cheers,
Mike

Starblaze
August 18th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Hi,
To get the train to stop quicker, I put the brakes on and go to reverse to slow down. Helps with switching too. Not realistic but who cares.
Some locos are worse than others to answer the brakes.
The difference in the bakes is that the train brakes are applied by pressing the Z then pressing the A a number of times to apply full braking.
The E button applies the engine brakes only.
Cheers,
Mike

the Z key is used for Lap actualy... which im yet to figure what its used for
as when i press A the air flows into the cylinders and i slowly stop...
both after Lap and After Release the effect is the same...

john259
August 18th, 2009, 09:56 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_braking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_air_brake