PDA

View Full Version : layout help required

ljstott
August 14th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Hello Everyone,
I am having a few problem with layouts. Each time I have to restart a layout I never start the same way each time. Is there a golden rule to doing layouts?
I am tying to put track together but some times they do not connect properly. When this happens I restart the layout.
Should I just keeping hitting undo until I get to the point that need to be redone? Because I find out after I test it.
If any one can give me some advice would be well recieved.:confused:

gary6204
August 15th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Hello Everyone,
I am having a few problem with layouts. Each time I have to restart a layout I never start the same way each time. Is there a golden rule to doing layouts?
I am tying to put track together but some times they do not connect properly. When this happens I restart the layout.
Should I just keeping hitting undo until I get to the point that need to be redone? Because I find out after I test it.
If any one can give me some advice would be well recieved.:confused:

no, there is no golden rule to make layouts, if its the way you want, then keep it. as for the track not connecting properly, this could be because of many problems. i usaully just delete it, replace it, then move on, i mean there no need to start a new layout just because theres a bump in your way, is there?

Ian_Coleman
August 15th, 2009, 03:23 AM
When your track doesn't connect poperly, zoom in close and ensure that the spline points are exactly lined up. If you still cannot connect when moving the spline point, then try leaving the end of the track fairly close to the end of the track that you wish to connect to, and then moving the other spine point into position.

Also, it is worth checking that the spline points at the end of each track is at the same height - if not, then adjust it until they are both at the same height.

Ian

itareus
August 15th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Hi ljstott,

One thing that's important to know when laying track is that holding down the <Shift> key when releasing the mouse button will stop the track joining (it's meant to be this way to stop unwanted joins).

Also if you move the new track close to, but not right up to, the already laid track you will see them "snap" together which should confirm to you that the join has worked.

There is a setting somewhere in Surveyor Options (I'm not on my Trainz machine at the moment so can't tell you exactly where) for "Automatic Junction Placement" this might affect what you are doing.

Regarding "Undo", some people avoid using this when tracklaying and in certain other circumstances, although I have never had any problems. As Gary6204 said just delete the unwanted track and lay a new bit.

If you are using any fixed track components (e.g. Andi06's Junction Kit) then you have to follow the "Rules" for those components.

Finally, it's worth reading the (2006) Manual, Surveyor section, and doing the simple tutorials in there . It can be downloaded for free in pdf from the Auran website.

Hope this help a little. Good luck and enjoy!

Chris

nicky9499
August 15th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Hi ljsott,

if you're using TRS2006 I would recommend you delete the incorrect piece of track instead of undoing. I have had splitting headaches because of it in the past. If you've deleted a turnout, remember to delete the spline point as well (hit the X key when in Trackwork tab) and straighten the track (B key) if required.

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

ljstott
August 15th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Hello All,
Let me start by saying this, I do not have trs 2006 manual as yet. I waiting on shipment. The way I found out I had track problem was after I had gone too far. Then testing found the problem. I would derail trains. I'm running trs 2009.
Gary 6204 you mean I should of saved all the one's that end up in the bin. And reworked them at a later date.
I have recieved a lot of good advice here.
Thank you.

nicky9499
August 15th, 2009, 08:01 AM
09 has not presented me any issues with the undo button; I guess you're good to go then. My personal preference would be to work on a single freelanced route a little at a time, and model the places according to inspirations or spur-of-the-moments. By concentrating all your efforts in one route, your results will be of better quality and on the overall you can drive for longer distances. My Coal County for example, has an arid desert environment up north while I'm planning an eastern US-esque portion down south.

My two cents on freelancing routes. :)

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

ljstott
August 16th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Nicky9499, Thank you for your input.

Twodorgs
August 18th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Hi ljstott,

We really need a bit more detail as to what track will not connect. Some bridges will only connect to normal track, if you try to connect two different bridges they will refuse to connect. The only cure is to put a VERY short length of normal track between them, which can be a pain to line up correctly.
Another thing that may cause trouble ( so I am told ) is certain animated points, track will not connect to them and you need to use invisible track through them for trains to run on.
I assume from your post that you are deleting your map and starting a new one when you strike trouble? There should be no need to do that.

Another known problem is when you merge two maps together, tracks on one end of industries will disconnect and you have to find them and connect them again.

To find out the kuid No of the track or item giving you trouble use Windows to find your TRS folder. Then use a text editor to open
trainzoptions.txt
Add the following to the file,
-showkuids
and save the file, now the kuid No of your currently selected object will be displayed in Surveyor.

Hope this helps,
Lindsay

ljstott
August 18th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Thank you Lindsay,
I have a problem now with diesel refilling depot? the question is this. I have put one on a lay out but it is not being picked up by drive to or navigate to.
How can I get this to happen? Trainz need to be refuel and I was hoping to be able to use drive to or navigate to. The track so far is not given me any headache as yet.These pick up everything else but drive to and navigate to.I did go to the manuals and found nothing on this.

itareus
August 19th, 2009, 02:31 AM
lJ

For the Drive To / Navigate To commands to pick up an item such as the Depot the item needs to be of kind "industry". Try a different Fuelling Depot and see if that works.

Chris

ljstott
August 19th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Thank you itareus,
I have tried 3 different depot and none of them were picked up. I will keep trying.

Tokkyu40
August 19th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Click on the depot with the question mark tool in Surveyor. A window will open. If it doesn't show any products or other sign of function, then it's a non-functioning scenic item. Also, functional assets will have track attached. if there's no track, it's non-functioning. Some non-functioning assets also have track attached, so the opposite isn't necessarily true.

:cool:Claude

ljstott
August 20th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Thank you tokkyu40,
I have been doing that and this is how I found that I been having a problem with. I'll keep trying and see what happens.

captainpugwash
September 5th, 2009, 05:56 PM
The diesel refuel depots you have are scenery items. Why not use "multiple industry new" and program it to fuel yor engines? then use your depot as scenery.