PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the forums yesterday?

gisa
August 2nd, 2009, 05:16 AM
Hi All,

I'm sure that some of you noticed that the forums weren't working at all yesterday. Could the folks at Auran let us know what happened? It's great to be kept in the loop!

FWIW, I've noticed that the forums have been a bit slow lately as well. Any coincidence?

:wave:

Gisa ^^

Napalm
August 2nd, 2009, 05:21 AM
Hi All,

I'm sure that some of you noticed that the forums weren't working at all yesterday. Could the folks at Auran let us know what happened? It's great to be kept in the loop!

FWIW, I've noticed that the forums have been a bit slow lately as well. Any coincidence?

Gisa ^^
Hmm, could be that the poor overworked Hamsters fell off their wheel and as it is the weekend there was no one in the Auran office to scoop the poor fellows up, give them a quick cuddle, re-fill their food and water bowls and put them back to work.

Might be time to invest in some younger, agile Hamsters and retire the older ones.

:p:o:hehe:

Nathan

ZecMurphy
August 2nd, 2009, 05:28 AM
Hi all
Unfortunately we had the server with the forums, helpdesk, and iTrainz (chat and iPortal) go offline at around 4pm AU EST. As it was the middle of the weekend, there was no one around to reset it. They have now been reset, and everything should be back to normal.

We apologise for the outage.

gisa
August 2nd, 2009, 05:37 AM
No worries and thanks for the explanation Zec. Usually you guys mention that in the announcements forum but I didn't see it there and thought I'd ask.

Glad to hear it's back up and running normally.

Gisa ^^

angelah
August 2nd, 2009, 05:44 AM
Nice to have you back....

Bless you,

Angela

ex-railwayman
August 2nd, 2009, 05:49 AM
We apologise for the outage.

Yes, the outage caused an outrage Zec, thanks for the explanation......:hehe:

Cheerz. ex. :wave:

Johnk
August 2nd, 2009, 07:23 AM
Zec, the Forum seemed to be the only site affected. It was just on 24 hours and I won't tell you that I made a special trip to town and got slugged $2 by the Internet Cafe only to find the forum was offline. As Trainz Dev was still online, maybe a short message there would have helped. Hmmm Maybe!

aardvark1
August 2nd, 2009, 11:31 AM
Zec, the Forum seemed to be the only site affected. It was just on 24 hours and I won't tell you that I made a special trip to town and got slugged $2 by the Internet Cafe only to find the forum was offline. As Trainz Dev was still online, maybe a short message there would have helped. Hmmm Maybe!

Zec informed the IRC Trainz Chat Room about the the outage of the Forum Server.

So, he did his job.

Hope the visit at the internet cafe was a nice.

Have fun,

illinoiscentral
August 2nd, 2009, 12:50 PM
I tried to get on around 11:18pm Central Time, and it kept telling me that the server was full.
Good to see it working again.

Euphod
August 2nd, 2009, 01:05 PM
Practice run for the "Purge of '09".
Overall, it was a success, but the chat room proved to be our undoing. We will be debriefing all involved and will schedule another practice session shortly. We apologize for any lack of inconvenience this may have caused you.:D

mbv67
August 2nd, 2009, 01:05 PM
I was trying all day yesterday to get on the forums and I was a little angry but I'm calm and happy to see the forums working.

bigboy4010
August 2nd, 2009, 01:44 PM
It happens. Who ever said computers were perfect? And seeing as trainz isn't everyone's lifeline (as there are other outlets for trains and I highly doubt anyone sees Trainz as a life or death deal) were unaffected, no harm done. Glad they're back, though, don't get me wrong.:)

Sourdough
August 2nd, 2009, 02:49 PM
.... As Trainz Dev was still online, maybe a short message there would have helped. Hmmm Maybe!
Hmmm maybe since there was nobody there to know that the server went off line, there wouldn't be anyone to post a short note on Trainz Dev....maybe a light will come on....hmmm Maybe!....:p

Gandalf0444
August 2nd, 2009, 03:16 PM
Hmmm maybe since there was nobody there to know that the server went off line, there wouldn't be anyone to post a short note on Trainz Dev....maybe a light will come on....hmmm Maybe!....:p
But you would think they would visit the forums form there own house once in awhile... Then when it doesn't work go oh dear maybe the server went kaput... Then if they don't want to make a trip down to Auran HQ just go to trainzdev and post... But that's just me...:o

leeferr
August 2nd, 2009, 04:27 PM
After about 2 hours of trying, I just gave up and went to the lake for a little fishing, relaxation and a few adult beverages.

cascaderailroad
August 2nd, 2009, 04:37 PM
It was a scary thought...so many places go belly up, and out of existance...how lost we would all be without Auran, the forum, and DLS.

Glad to see things back to normal...I think I'll buy 2009 just to say I did my part to help keep Auran afloat.

sethmcs
August 2nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
I guess I picked a good day to take a break. Didn't even attempt to log in. Spent the day with a on a boat with a well oiled bikini clad babe ten years my junior.:udrool:

Euphod
August 2nd, 2009, 05:29 PM
Spent the day with a on a boat with a well oiled bikini clad babe ten years my junior.:udrool:

Sisters don't count....:p

falcon500
August 2nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
Guess there were a few guys getting hysterical until they could get on the forums again!!
;):hehe:

bernhart_lossiemouth
August 2nd, 2009, 06:10 PM

Hey, they do!

JimDep
August 2nd, 2009, 07:14 PM
Didn't even attempt to log in. Spent the day with a on a boat with a well oiled bikini clad babe ten years my junior.:udrool: sethmcs[/quote]

But you're only 18, aren't you? ....... not that it's any of my business......

Either way, that must have been hell. Bet you couldn't wait to get back to the forums.

Originally Posted by Euphod http://forums.auran.com/trainz/images/ts2009/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?p=476471#post476471)
Hey, they do!

Maybe in Louisiana but here in Colorado we frown on that sort of thing.

illinoiscentral
August 2nd, 2009, 07:26 PM
Here we go on this again...:o

Must we talk about this?

Sourdough
August 2nd, 2009, 08:30 PM
But you would think they would visit the forums form there own house once in awhile...
I probably wouldn't....who wants to think about work stuff on their time off?

I guess I picked a good day to take a break. Didn't even attempt to log in. Spent the day with a on a boat with a well oiled bikini clad babe ten years my junior.:udrool:
Babes 10 years my junior generally have passed the bikini wearing days...:cool:

Here we go on this again...:o

Must we talk about this?
Which "this" are you talking about....?

ZecMurphy
August 2nd, 2009, 08:56 PM
Guys, please keep it on the original topic.

Any further off topic posts in this thread will see warnings given.

As for keeping people updated. The forums do go down from time to time for short periods, hence I didn't worry too much when they first went down. As they had not come back online the next morning, I did attempt to contact the admins. However, as it was the weekend, they did not get my messages till the Sunday night. As such, it took a little while for the forums to come back online.

ianwoodmore
August 3rd, 2009, 02:07 PM
Zec,

Seems three things missing from this scenario:

1. The server gives the admin guys an alert directly.
2. They are then able to reboot remotely.
3. ET then advises Zec and puts up a "The server went off-line due to a technical hitch. Service has been resumed" message.

Gandalf0444
August 3rd, 2009, 02:16 PM
I probably wouldn't....who wants to think about work stuff on their time off?

Well if they supposedly share the same passion as us they most certainly should/would. But apparently they don't...

colhad
August 3rd, 2009, 04:28 PM
Yes, an astronomical disaster of the highest proportion happened on Sunday. I could hear the anguished cries of Trainzers floating through the silent breeze.

Then Auran said let there be light and the forums returned, so peace and tranquility was once again restored.

ZecMurphy
August 3rd, 2009, 06:32 PM
Hi All
We are currently investigating ways to improve communications both with the community and the admins.
We thank you for your input with ideas on how to prevent this happening again.

Johnk
August 3rd, 2009, 09:08 PM
Zec, Most ISP's have a simple announcement page on their web sites, often connected to a different server for things like this. They just run a script that allows one or more admin staff (moderators) to log on to the page and type in a very quick message. No need to FTP or anything, and several people can have rights to place a message. In all seriousness, the whole thing would take 30 minutes to set up starting from now.

Us Trainzers will quickly learn to look there. As for IRC, I've never used it and never will.

Electro
August 3rd, 2009, 10:29 PM
The forums go out they come back who cares the end is nigh :hehe:

applegathc
August 3rd, 2009, 10:52 PM
Meh, when Aurans down, theres always other sities, Youtube, Facebook, etc. And theres always the great outdoors? Maybe?:o :hehe:

cam

ZecMurphy
August 3rd, 2009, 11:31 PM
Zec, Most ISP's have a simple announcement page on their web sites, often connected to a different server for things like this. They just run a script that allows one or more admin staff (moderators) to log on to the page and type in a very quick message. No need to FTP or anything, and several people can have rights to place a message. In all seriousness, the whole thing would take 30 minutes to set up starting from now.

Us Trainzers will quickly learn to look there. As for IRC, I've never used it and never will.

Hi John
We are currently investigating a setup similar to this. I'm not sure of the details at this stage, but we are investigating it and working on it. I will let you know more when I know it.

PerRock
August 3rd, 2009, 11:36 PM
Meh, when Aurans down, theres always other sities, Youtube, Facebook, etc. And theres always the great outdoors? Maybe?:o :hehe:

cam

Whats that (in bold)?:p

peter

illinoiscentral
August 3rd, 2009, 11:48 PM
Just climbed the mountain the other day.
The outdoors are wonderful here in Tennessee.
Shoot, I can even run around with the cattle!:p

Code_Red_Hanel
August 8th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Whats the ETA on the fix of the Iportal Server?

ct_krogen
August 8th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Whats the ETA on the fix of the Iportal Server?

next week :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(