PDA

View Full Version : Textures not available in all Routes

Vulcan40
July 26th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Why are all my textures available in a new rout but not all are available in an existing rout
Trs 2006

Euphod
July 26th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Time to order another "E" key, me thinks!:D

When you say "my textures" are you referring to textures you have made?
Are you referring to ground textures?
And specifically; are you trying to convey that your choice of ground textures is unlimited when building a new route, and pared down when editing a route that someone else has made?

Just trying to get a clear idea of the problem.:)

Vulcan40
July 26th, 2009, 02:32 PM
When I state My Textures meaning any that I have gotten from DLS. The Route in question is one that I started about 2 years ago. I have limited textures available in that route. I see the texture in the menu but when I try to use it it does not work.The new route will accept all of the textures that I select.

whyfly
July 26th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Someone asked that question some time ago, and if I remember someone else's answer, there is an upper limit to how many textures you can have in any route.

I found the same thing as you did in the route I use most often. If I try to add an additional texture, nothing happens. But if I use the "Get Texture" function in Paint Menu to select an existing texture, I can add more of that one to my route.

Hope this helps.

Art
(whyfly)

stagecoach
July 26th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Only a set number of textures can be used in a route. When two routes merge some textures may go missing because it exceeds this limit. You could try and replace some similar textures with a single one to try to reduce the number but as trainz may have textures beneath the one you see in surveyor this may still not work. Only removing the texture kuid from trainz and using the delete missing kuid will you be able to reduce some of them.

Vulcan40
July 26th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Thank you very much I probably do have the max number of textures. It does make sense.

Euphod
July 26th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I believe the limit was around 256 or something.

Approach_Medium
July 26th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Right. In TS2006, the limit is 256 (makes sense, since it's 8 bits).
Now, in TS2009 it appears that either that limit has increased drastically, or is unlimited.
A while ago, I did a test board to have a look at the textures available, and put each and every one on the board.
It was over 400 textures, so either the number has been increased by one bit to 512, or it's a lot higher than that (perhaps 65536, or 16 bits).

You can use a 3rd party app called Erazor, which is a two step process.
First, you paint over the area of the board you want to erase, then you run the Erazor program separately (after opening the route for edit), and it removes all of the ground textures from the painted area.
You will find all the info you need on Erazor here:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=1471

Then, you need to DL the Erazor mesh from DLS: http://www.auran.com/TRS2004/DLS_viewasset.php?AssetID=82855

Problem here is that you may still have the same unwanted textures elsewhere, and you may not remove as many as you think you are, so may still be close to the limit.

I guess I could just suggest you upgrade to TS2009. In 09 you can replace textures (as well as any other assets). It can take a long time, and mine has crashed a couple of times while trying to replace textures over the entire route.
If you do a section at a time, you're OK.
And if it turns out that you're already running 09, then I'm baffled.

FW