PDA

View Full Version : Baseboard Limits

SignalmanWSR
July 9th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Just like me to attempt the impossible!

Does anyone know if TS2009 has a limit to the number of baseboards I can use? I need 81 to create my favourite line and am using scanned OS 1km maps to help with construction.

I see thatI can use A to Z then 0 to 9. Can I continue with AA onto 99, AAA and so on?

Thanks,

Sig

Euphod
July 9th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I'm sure if there is a baseboard limit, it is well over 81!

john259
July 9th, 2009, 02:32 PM
TRS2004 and TRS2006 can handle many more baseboards than that, so I guess TS2009WBE can as well.

AFAIK baseboards aren't named in TRS2004 but you're saying they are in TS2009WBE. Interesting, I wonder what the benefit of that is.

John

SignalmanWSR
July 9th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks guys,

I'm following this tutorial

http://www.g0akh.f2s.com/Trainz/Basemap_tutorial.html

hence the need for the alphanumerics. I'm very new to this but I'm keen to learn. I guess I need to get straight into the deep end. I figure that, like most things in life, planning can save a lot of time later on.

As you can see from the tutorial, I have 36 boards ready made, I hope it's not going to take all weekend to create the other 45! I'd like to catch some Ashes action.

Sig

barn700
July 9th, 2009, 03:36 PM
If there is a limit (I doubt) its well into the hundreds. I have a route thats over 300 basebioards.

Remember the boards you are producing are 1KM, whereas the baseboards in Trainz is less, some 720m square I believe (count the 10M grid lines)

I would suggest finishing off a smaller route, as 70 is a lot to work with, plenty to do, and will take you months !!!

SignalmanWSR
July 9th, 2009, 04:04 PM
You're absolutely right. I have set myself a monumental task.

I really appreciate you advice about the scaling. Could you please tell me if I've understood this correctly?

The baseboards are 720m square. If I use 1km maps, my layout will be incorrectly scaled.

Right now, I have just the first baseboard with a map overlay. Using a bit of math, I could probably arrange to chop up my maps to 720m pieces. The only problem then will be that I'll have even more baseboards to work with! I'm trying to re-create 23 miles of single track.

Thanks.

Sig

barn700
July 9th, 2009, 04:15 PM
hi Sig

Yes you are correct, Trainz is 720M and your MapBoards are 1KM, so you will have to scale accordingly.

The Maps you are using (and that method) is good for groundwork, getting tracks laid, roads made, and buildings placed as well as wooded areas.

Give all a try on say 5 miles

The method most use is to go the DEM HOG route, that gives you the heights too, hills, valleys etc. It also gives you an indication of track and rivers.

Probably a combination of these, and an overlay of Google Sat Images for more accurate ground texturing.

Have a bash at what you are doing, then do some research into the others (in these forums)

Dermmy
July 9th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Hi S'man and welcome aboard,

If I were you I would browse through the payware forum and find the threads on a payware utility called TransDem. For a very small monetary outlay it will do all the scaling, ground contouring etc AND overlay the entire route with either a map or satelite image....

Andy :)

stagecoach
July 9th, 2009, 06:06 PM
1K basemap are correct scale, they take on 1k square of OS map image. They overlap the trainz baseboard so you may need extra baseboards in order to fit the basemaps on. I did this on a 200 baseboard route, it needed about 250 baseboards to start with. Place all what you need then delete the basemaps and delete unwanted baseboards after you have created the route. I named each basemap according to the OS grid square ie 099087 = Lat 099 Lon 087. Basemaps are objects so can be raised or lowered while you are creating. Start with your first basemap at the bottom then add baseboards so the next basemap can be placed in position, add more baseboards then the next basemap etc until you have completed the laying of your basemap route.

A 1k image on a 1k basemap is correct scale. 1k basemap on trainz baseboard is correct scale. Basemaps are = to 1000m.

cascaderailroad
July 10th, 2009, 04:04 PM
If we are talking about the asset called "basemap A" (A-Z & 0-9) the 1km x 1km image requires @ a 4 Trainz baseboards square area to handle each basemap (as they are a little bit larger than one 720m x 720m baseboard).

When I make a basemap from a Maptech topo map, I enlarge the screen to 400%, and snip a square image, then convert it to the correct size that basemaps use. It seems to work out be the @ size of 1km x 1km area.

The Google Earth "Tool/Path/Meters" line drawing tool can help you outline a square image that is 1 km on each side (4 meters total).

I cloned many, many copies of "Basemap A" and now have 202 cloned basemaps with topo images saved, of the Huntingdon, Phillipsburg to Johnstown PA area to overlay on baseboards.

As for Trainz2006 it handles my 10,000 baseboard route, but takes @ 1 minute to build (generate) the route. As my route is excessively (rediculously) large, I am forced to break it up into @ 7 or more individual, separate routes (to prevent lag, possible lockup, loss of a route, or possible video card, hd & pc failure).

SignalmanWSR
July 12th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Thanks to everyone taking part here.

I'm going to get TransDEM. However, I'm going to avoid using it except as a last resort in this case since if I don't do the work "manually", I won't learn the subject.

The message I get is that the 1km maps I have do not have to be restricted to a single baseboard.

If I understand this correctly, I should simply add baseboards sufficient to accomodate each map then gradually add more adjoining baseboards/maps until my route is complete.

Is there a preferred direction of flow? Should I work Northwest to Southeast for instance? If it doesn't matter, I'd prefer to work Southeast to Northwest.

Do I also understand that the basemap names are user's discretion?

Thanks for the welcome and advice.

Sig

seeseeme
July 12th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Hope this can help. Currently another person and I are working on a layout and he is taking screenshots from Google Earth for the basemaps. When I get them they are 1024 x 1024 in size and he gives each a number, for example 200, then 201 etc. I have a number of basemaps files, the original 9 I start with and change a few details. I change the kuid number to my own (not really required) and then use his number in the kuid number for the "folder" and Config file, such as 72076:200/72076:201 and etc. I also change one particular line shown below;

kuid "<kuid2:72076:200:2>"
region Basemaps
type Noel
trainz-build 2
category-region-0 "UK"
category-era-0 "1800s 1810s 1820s 1830s 1840s 1850s 1860s 1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s 2010s"
category-class "YM "
website
asset-filename "1km Basemap G"
username "1km Basemap 200"
author "Kevin Hale"
organisation ""
contact-email
contact-website

At the moment I am up to 342 basemaps and slowly adding them to our baseboards/layout. As said the size of the basemap will overlap a baseboard but this is OK. I place a basemap anywhere I want but I have to remember that the basemap loads in the top left hand corner. So this is the corner where I can rotate and move the basemap. It does not matter if I am working from south to north or any other way (east, west, etc), as long as I remember to use the top left hand corner. If I do not the basemap can move around in a rather funny way. A little practice with this helps to get started. You can lay the basemap scenery item anywhere, it does not really need to be in the top left hand corner of a baseboard, it can be in the center or any other part of the board/layout.

As I said I am up to 342 basemaps, by changing some of the details in the Config file including the line in bold above. In each folder there is a screenshot with a name of "1km square a" (or b, c, d etc), so replace the original image with my renamed image of the same name. You may think "how can I have heaps of images with the same name in all these basemaps?", well it does not matter. What matters is the name of the basemap folder - 72076:200 and changing the lines I have in bold above.

If you are using 2009 though as you mention (and for others), there is an error in the Config file that 2009 does not like. I have marked the line in italics above, you need to change it to something like;

category-era-0 "1800s"

and the error will no longer show. I made this change in the original 9 Basemap folders/files before I started.

If you need any other help with this, just post again.

Hope this helps,

Craig
:):):)

Gandalf0444
July 12th, 2009, 02:23 AM

I'm going to get TransDEM. However, I'm going to avoid using it except as a last resort in this case since if I don't do the work "manually", I won't learn the subject.

The message I get is that the 1km maps I have do not have to be restricted to a single baseboard.

If I understand this correctly, I should simply add baseboards sufficient to accomodate each map then gradually add more adjoining baseboards/maps until my route is complete.

Is there a preferred direction of flow? Should I work Northwest to Southeast for instance? If it doesn't matter, I'd prefer to work Southeast to Northwest.

Thanks for the welcome and advice.

Sig
Hello Sig,
You are correct in your understanding. The 1km basemap is an object(a flat plane that happens to have a google earth picture placed on it) Now a 1km basemap will be roughly 4 trainz baseboards. Of course the 4 trainz baseboards will over hang the 1km basemap a little bit,however that is not a problem. The way to counter act that is to make the next 1km basemap overlay the previous one just slighty(easier to align that way) Then continue in the fashion until you have the enitre route complete. The way I tend to work with the 1km basemaps is that I sink them into the ground slightly, then I work on 1km basemap(4 traiz baseboards) at a time to cut down on the mass confusion of working on a large route.
For example of overlaping the 1km basemaps:
I-----I
l l
I-----I
I-----I
l l
I-----I
The area in the middle where you have to colums of I-----I is the overlap area where you will match the 1km basemaps together so the well give the visual effect of 1 larger basemap. Hope this helps, and good luck with your project/route:wave:
Mike

SignalmanWSR
July 12th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Guys,

I'm very grateful for the tips and advice.
Using the accumulated knowledge from this thread, I've produced what I hope will be the first building block of the layout I hope to create.
http://www.elcojones.btinternet.co.uk/basemap.jpg
You can see the "sunken" map below the grid and, in the distance, the remaining blank area of baseboards where the 1km basemap does not fill what is now four baseboards arranged in a square.

I had already discovered that there were incompatibilities regarding the era parameters from earlier versions of Trainz. Fortunately, CCP solves this for you and prompts to repair the parameter.

I'm guessing that my layout shouldn't run to much more than a hundred or so basemaps. I couldn't possibly conceive how much work 342 must be!

I'm still studying the use of DEM data and don't yet have a good understanding of that. But I will definitely only be tackling one basemap at a time when that time comes.

I have been converting a lot of items to TS2009 and still have some issues with aliased meshes (what...?) and textures which are called multiple times within an indexed mesh file. I think I'd really like to talk to Peter from PEVsoft about the latter.
Of course, I'm having to split my time between this, Call of Juarez (which has just been delivered), the German Grand Prix and ironing my shirts for next week.
So much track, so little time...

Sig

cascaderailroad
July 12th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Baseboards/Basemaps/Topo Maps/Google Earth Images

Basemaps are a little larger than a single baseboard...it takes @ 4 baseboards in a square to handle a single basemap.

Make sure your minimap shows North, in the north dirrection...oce you create a route upsidedown or 90 degrees off...you'll always check the compass first. Keep adding 4 baseboards in a square for each basemap.

In your Trainzoptions file I added the line: -surveyorfov=185 as this gives a wide angle fish eye view for manipulating basemaps from far away, for perfect allignment. You can at anytime re-change the 185 to 90, or any numeral you wish... and if you don't like the feature you can delete that line completely. In a hand written log book, write down your Trainzoptions file lines, just in case you ever mess up and delete an important line that you didn't want deleted.

Another neat line to enter in the Trainzoptions file is: -freeintcam for roaming about the cab and walking (riding) outside the cab view.

In the basemap config file you can rename "Basemap A" for example...to any name you like. The CMP can also rename any asset, or clone it as a new asset name.

Sig