PDA

View Full Version : How to search in surveyor? - noob question

davidgr1200
July 4th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I have recently bought Trainz 2006 and am trying to get to grips with Surveyor. A major problem I am having is to find things, so I wonder if there is a search function? For example, if I want to see all level crossings, or perhaps all farmhouses
The categories are confusing. I searched roads for a long time before I discovered that most of them are under "spline" rather than objects. Is there any way to recategorise so that I can move things into my own categories? (e.g. have a category for level crossings or farmhouses)?

Hope someone can help

davesnow
July 4th, 2009, 08:07 AM
There's no way to "catagorize" items (at least that I know of). The other option is to use the search icon in the upper left, the little "Goblet" shaped icon.

Click on it and a menu will pop up. Type what you are looking for in the box. All objects, splines, tracks, buildings, etc. etc. that start with or contain the term will be displayed in the menu to the right. But only EXACTLY what you typed. In other words, if you type "roads" only items spelled "roads" will appear (not ROAD, singular).

Hope this helps.

Dave

R701Rusty
July 4th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Someone with more knowledge of the TRS06 system will correct me if I am wrong but I think you can "categorize" your assets by editing the config. file and changing the "kind" entry to show the category you want. It would be a long task though as it probably means each item would have to be done singulary. I have done this in TRS04 by using Trainzobject but it doesn't work for 06.

Cheers
Russell.

cascaderailroad
July 5th, 2009, 07:38 AM
A handwitten log book:
sometime when you are bored, on a blank baseboard, test out all the assets by placing them. If they look promising...jot the name down in your log book.

To find: dig hole 1x1, PRR Track Guide, or FT 15 Degree 200m Radius...I type in the (blue) search pane "dig", "PRR T", "FT 15"...etc..etc
:cool: