PDA

View Full Version : Moving My Route

Mick_Berg
July 3rd, 2009, 01:24 AM
I just did a major upgrade to my computer, which was very successful, resulting in a HUGE improvement in TC3 performance. It's discussed in geekish detail in the Parts and Labour section. (thread is called PC Upgrade)
Now, I need to move my route from my old installation of TC3 to the new one on a different hard drive. I'm thinking an easy way to do this would be to replace the "local" folder of my new TC3 with a copy of the old "local" folder which contains the route. Would you all agree?
Thanks,
Mick Berg.

Bill69
July 3rd, 2009, 01:50 AM
Hi Mick,
Yes that's the way to do it, just the same as if you lost everything in trainz you would restore with the backup copy of your local folder. I am not too familiar with TC3, you might have to either delete an asetts file or get CMP to do a database rebuild.

Cheers,
Bill69

Mick_Berg
July 3rd, 2009, 02:09 AM
Hi Mick,
Yes that's the way to do it, just the same as if you lost everything in trainz you would restore with the backup copy of your local folder. I am not too familiar with TC3, you might have to either delete an asetts file or get CMP to do a database rebuild.

Cheers,
Bill69
Well, I copied the local folder, and deleted the assets.tdx, but CMP doesn't want to rebuild the database. Any ideas how to get it to do that?
I must admit I'm a little nervous, I don't want to lose my 3-year-work-in-progress!:eek:
Thanks,
Mick Berg.

Rusty1955
July 3rd, 2009, 02:37 AM
Mick,
When I recently changed from one hard drive to another, I copied the local folder to my desktop. After the reinstall, I deleted the assets.tdx file and copied my old local folder to my new install. It took a LOOOOOOONNNNNGGGG time for it to rebuild. If yopu have a large local folder, it can take a while to rebuild. Order a pizza, drink a cool one and come back to it,

One other thing I forgot to include in the above, I did all the deletions and copying BEFORE i started Trainz up the first time.

Later,
Rusty1955

stagecoach
July 3rd, 2009, 02:40 AM
Have you launched it to see if all the routes work? It might not need a rebuild.

Mick_Berg
July 3rd, 2009, 05:00 PM
Well, I copied the local folder, and deleted the assets.tdx, but CMP doesn't want to rebuild the database. Any ideas how to get it to do that?
I must admit I'm a little nervous, I don't want to lose my 3-year-work-in-progress!:eek:
Thanks,
Mick Berg.
All is well, I should have known better, I just substituted a "cup of tea" for the "cold one" and "Wimbledon" for the "pizza" and it's all there, with a few exceptions, and for some reason I lost a driver and his list of commands.
Just one thing, locomotives are still taking a long time to appear when I change from one to another in Driver. Any ideas on that? Everything else comes up almost immediately.
Mick Berg.

Rusty1955
July 3rd, 2009, 05:42 PM
All is well, I should have known better, I just substituted a "cup of tea" for the "cold one" and "Wimbledon" for the "pizza" and it's all there, with a few exceptions, and for some reason I lost a driver and his list of commands.
Just one thing, locomotives are still taking a long time to appear when I change from one to another in Driver. Any ideas on that? Everything else comes up almost immediately.
Mick Berg.

Glad you had your spot of tea and got to see that the sisters will be in the final again. Wanna make a bet that a Williams will win it?

As for the problem with the locos taking a long time to load, I don't know what could be happening. Maybe someone else can assist you on that one.
Have a good day my friend. I'm going to go get busy fixing supper now!!

Grilled Porterhouse Steak, baked potato and salad. All washed down with iced tea.

Bill69
July 3rd, 2009, 09:13 PM
snip{Just one thing, locomotives are still taking a long time to appear when I change from one to another in Driver. Any ideas on that? Everything else comes up almost immediately.}
Mick Berg.

Hi Mick,

I don't think you can do any thing about that, it happens because the loco is the highest poly item on screen. I have also noticed that a stationary loco will appear quicker that one that is moving.

Cheers,
Bill69

Mick_Berg
July 4th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Hi Mick,

I don't think you can do any thing about that, it happens because the loco is the highest poly item on screen. I have also noticed that a stationary loco will appear quicker that one that is moving.

Cheers,
Bill69
Bill69, What do you suppose is the culprit here, slow hard drive? CPU? Graphics card? (I'm tempted to try Crossfire:udrool: )

Rusty1955, The Williamz Sisterz come from Compton, about 20 miles down the road. So I'm extra proud of them. Not many things can drag me away from Trainz but they can!
Mick Berg.

Rusty1955
July 4th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I know what you mean about the Williams Sisterz. They make quite a pair on and off the courts.

As for the slow loading locos, I have run this program on 2 different computers, I have one that is built with rather high-end internals and even on that one, the locos are the last to load. There's really nothing you can do about it that I have found out. Maybe someone else can steer you in a different direction, then we'll both learn something new!

Thanx,
Rusty1955

Bill69
July 4th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Hi Mick,

If you have lots & lots of memory you could try '-KeepAllResources=1' in trainzoptions.txt but you might run out of memory no matter how much you have because there is a limit of how much memory can be addressed.

Cheers,
Bill,

Mick_Berg
July 4th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Hi Mick,

If you have lots & lots of memory you could try '-KeepAllResources=1' in trainzoptions.txt but you might run out of memory no matter how much you have because there is a limit of how much memory can be addressed.

Cheers,
Bill,
I have 4 gigs of DDR2 but still running XP-32 so only 3 gigs are available. I guess that isn't "lots and lots of memory"!
Mick Berg.

Bill69
July 5th, 2009, 06:39 AM
I have 4 gigs of DDR2 but still running XP-32 so only 3 gigs are available. I guess that isn't "lots and lots of memory"!
Mick Berg.

Hi Mick,

It might be worth a try, if it gives trouble just change the =1 to =0.
Guess it will be 4th July there now, Happy thanksgiving.

Cheers,
Bill69

nzld
July 5th, 2009, 04:58 PM
You could try changing your cache amount in settings.

I had a problem with boggies missing when my loco went out on to the main line.

My system is win7 rc1 64bit 4GB ddr2 pc2-8000, i changed the cache from 1024 down to 748 no more problems.

Everything takes a little time to come up when i first open the route but after that all good, with the lower cache the system has to refresh faster.

I hope this can help.

nzld

Mick_Berg
July 7th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Hi Mick,

It might be worth a try, if it gives trouble just change the =1 to =0.
Guess it will be 4th July there now, Happy thanksgiving.

Cheers,
Bill69
Referring to the "-KeepAll Resources" tag, I tried it, and it didn't make much difference, except that it messed up some other programs, specifically AOL. Maybe with "lots and lots" of memory it might work.
BTW, it's Independence Day, not Thanksgiving, but it doesn't bother me, being a Brit!;)
Mick Berg.

Rusty1955
July 7th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Mick Berg.

Mick:

I am running 4 gigs of DDR2 on the machine that I run Trainz 2006 and 2009 on. I set the memory to default and haven't had a problem. The scenery comes up first, then the cars, then the loco. I can live with it.

Another thought, if you'll stop the train then save it like that when you exit out, everything has time to come up. Then hit the throttle and go for what you know....

Have a good day!