PDA

View Full Version : Aerial Mining Tramways

bigboy4010
July 3rd, 2009, 12:03 AM
I know of Bendorsey's mines with the tramways, but I'm in need of something else. is there any kind of spline of a mining aerial tramway, like in these pictures.

http://infobluemountains.net.au/rail/ksr/images/ShaleBucket_2.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/donbrr/3303390998/

http://www.owensvalleyhistory.com/cerro_gordo1/arial_tram_med.jpg

If there isn't any kind of spline for aerial tramways, would anyone be willing to make one? It doesn't even have to be animated. If it's a spline with wires, carts, and supports, that'd be great.

cascaderailroad
July 3rd, 2009, 04:54 AM
I must admit ....those are some pretty interesting photos, and quite an ingenious unique method of transporting ore, sort of like ski lift funiculars or passenger gondolas:cool:I believe workers used to ride them occasionally to quickly get from point A to point B, or by using a zip line in some mining location (Saw it on a movie somewhere).

bigboy4010
July 3rd, 2009, 02:14 PM
It really is a cool creation, but are there any for Trainz besides Bendorsey's mines?

bendorsey
July 4th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I might be able to convert one of mine into a spline. Let me look into it.

Ben

bigboy4010
July 4th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Really?!:eek: Wow, thank you.

bendorsey
July 5th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Your tram line splines have been uploaded. Look for kuid2:210518:5095:1 and kuid2:210518:5096:1 after the next set of DLS approvals (assuming I haven't made one of my usual fumble-fingered typos, lol).

They are not animated (I don't think thats possible). They are roughly the same except the second has taller towers. I may make a few more in the near future. It was a good idea. Thanks.

Ben

Euphod
July 5th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Excellent work Ben, quite kind of you to make these!

bendorsey
July 5th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks but it really wasn't that difficult. I already had the parts so it was just a matter of deleting what I didn't need, changing what was left slightly, and configuring those parts to make a spline.

Ben

bigboy4010
July 5th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks a ton Bendorsey. I really, really appreciate it.

mikeaust
July 5th, 2009, 10:01 PM
It is really great to see this sort of operation between user and creator.
I think it is what makes Trainz such an interesting hobby.
Thanks Bendorsey.
Cheers,
Mike.

Dreadnought1
July 5th, 2009, 11:03 PM
To Bigboy4010 and to Ben,
Thanks yet again...
An idea and its tranformation into 'virtuality'.
Brilliant!
Cheers,
Dreadnought1

bendorsey
July 7th, 2009, 08:29 AM
They are on the DLS this morning. Hope they are what you had in mind.

Ben

bigboy4010
July 7th, 2009, 09:06 PM
They are. Thanks a ton Ben. I really, really like them. Oh, who am I kidding. I love them. :udrool::mop:

bigboy4010
July 7th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I spoke a little too soon. I've run into a visual issue with them.

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss135/bigboy4010/trainz2009-07-0620-19-56-74.jpg

Don't mind the wire between the upper bend. I added that in. But is there any way to have the supports stay vertical and keep the wire from gapping at each point of the spline? My thought would be to make it as four separate pieces: the rotators at either end as a building object, the supports as either a trackside object or a building piece, the buckets also as trackside objects, and the wire as track or spline, but in much smaller segments. Sorry if I'm being overcontrolling, a rivetcounter, and rude. I hope I'm not, but just in case, sorry. Thank you for what you're doing though. I do really appreciate it.

bendorsey
July 8th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Splines are a strange breed of beastie. They must consist of 3 parts only. Initiator, terminator, and repeating part. The initiator and terminator can look different but must be the same length. The repeating part can look different and be a different length from the other two (tho it doesn't have to). The towers have to be a part of the repeating part and to get them 100 ft apart that part must be something longer then 100 ft because of the base of the towers (you wouldn't see all of them otherwise). To get the first and last towers a reasonable distance from the wheel houses initiator and terminator must be at least 75 ft long. To be blunt - you can't really make this particular spline out of short parts.

There is a line in the config file concerning bending called "bendy" If its 0 try 1. If its 1 try 0. I seriously doubt this will help tho because it wasn't designed to be anything other then flat. Curved yes (tho that won't be easy due to the length of the parts). One of the things I don't like about splines is parts of different length bend at diferent rates. You can get some spectacturly weird looking things with too shap a bend.

One way to make one on uneven ground or with part on an upslope or downslope is to make it as a fixed item (not a spline). It would be custom made for the area.

Another possibility is to make a selection of parts as a kit. You assemble it and adjust to fit. Might not be perfect but it certainly will look better then your screenshot, lol.

Ben

bigboy4010
July 8th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I was thinking a kit. It would make a lot of sense to do it that way, like what I explicated before. That was what I meant by four parts, as a four part kit.

Shortline2
July 9th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Hi,

I'm away from home so I can't check it out for you, but there should be a tag called upright or something that should tell Trainz that the towers (or anything else standing in a splice) should point up, no matter how uneven the ground is.

And, it is possible to make a spline with no start (Initiator)/end (terminator) parts - but as Ben (Hi back Ben :)) stated, as a spline is really only a mesh repeating it self for ever - you either have to have the towers as separate items to hook unto the wire (as kind trackside items) or built it into the wire mesh and making the spline a long one in order to have the towers repeat the needed distance.

One way is to have the tower then the wires go down in gmax the needed length - this would make the spline always start with the tower in Trainz and end without the tower.
Or, use the start/end pieces as Ben did, and model the tower in the center with the wires pointing out in each direction about half the lenght needed between the towers.

Either way, this is one model I want to check out, as even a non working one is better then none at all. :-)

I wanted one for a long time, but have not found any good drawign of a tower or the "wagon" traveling the wires.
And, I'm not that good at doing it from pictures only in terms of sizes anymore.

Take care and best wishes from west coast of Norway (my parents house...)

Linda

bendorsey
July 9th, 2009, 07:34 AM
Hi Linda:

Good to hear from you.

If you would like the original mesh I'll be glad to send it to you to play with. I'm sure you can come up with something far better then I could. Splines are not my strong point (making typos is, lol). Let me know when you get back home, please.

Ben

Shortline2
July 9th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Hi Ben,

Thanks!

I will be home sometime next week. :)

And, sure, I would love to check out and refit the mesh if I can into a spline the way I make splines. LOL

Best wishes

Linda

bendorsey
July 10th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Hi Linda:

Give me a shout when you get home and I'll send them.

Ben

Shortline2
July 10th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Hi Ben,

Actually, I did download from the DLS today, had to look at it right away. LOL

I tried my own advice above here, did not work.. :(

Then I cloned it (I tried this on TS2009 as that is the one I have) and made it in the config into a regular spline.
No ends shows up, but the towers where straight up as they should be.
But, the mesh need a rework, as the wires/cables and the "cars" where floating.

If you want, you can try to email me this now already, on my linda at cripplecreekrailroads dot com address - but I will most likely be better suited to play around with it next week (or maybe the week after as my parents seem to want to come with us over the mountains back to our cabin. :)).
But, I would love a chance to see if I can get a better spline out of them, even if I loose out on the ends in the spline it self and have to put them in as scenery objects with the spline connecting to them or something.

You had a nice looking basic model and it did look nice in my test map there Ben. :)

Thanks Ben, and should you not hear from me it is just because my parents keeps me occupied. LOL
Or, I sneak away some time on a computer. LOL

Either way, thank you

Linda

Pencil42
July 10th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Maybe make the ends and towers as KIND SceneryWithTrack, and the wire as track? That way, the wire would snap to the towers and the ends. The buckets could be type trackside, perhaps, or just built into the track.

Shortline2
July 11th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Hi Curtis,

I had an idea along those lines, and for a future plan I have in mind (unless some other brilliant creator comes to my rescue LOL) the need is to have the towers and ends as KIND SceneryWithTrack with the wires/cables as KIND Track and the buckets as railcars.

For this spline model, the idea was to keep the tower as part of the spline, set up the ends as KIND SceneryWithTrack and keep the two buckets along the wires as Ben already done it, just breaking the wire up some more as the way it is now it will not bend/flex with an uneven ground.

I have Cyberstorm (I think that was his username - Terry something if I'm not to mistaken) ski-lift system in mind often, and the plan been to convert this to mining purposes.
Lost contact with him though, and my plans never came out of my head - one day they will though, unless I'm relived by someone else. LOL

Best wishes all

Linda

Ronayne
July 11th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Sorry to change the subject, but what does "lol" mean???

Euphod
July 11th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Sorry to change the subject, but what does "lol" mean???

"Laugh out loud"

Pencil42
July 16th, 2009, 10:49 AM
For a non-animated version, the buckets could be simple trackside objects that would snap to the track. For an animated version, what about making the ends portals that generate and 'eat' the buckets, which would be locomotives that run under their own power? I'd like to expand my V-flume in that direction someday, but haven't worked up the courage to try it yet :)

bendorsey
July 17th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Yo Linda:

I sent you all the files the other day. Didja get it?

Ben

Shortline2
July 17th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Hi Ben,

I see I got them last night, an email is sent of this afternoon thanking you, and letting you know I got the mail.
I also had a quick look and try around in gmax - but I need to reinstall gmax as I no longer can do texturing.

I have v1.1 installed, I downloaded version 2 of gmax a while ago - as I understand that will not have the problem with the flash player having to be version 5 to work...
Version 1.1 of gmax needs that...

An update/rework of the files will hopefully be ready next week.

Thanks Ben for sharing this, you do nice work!

Best wishes

Linda

Shortline2
July 18th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Hello gang,

While having an argument/fight with my husband, I had to do something useful of other variation then trying to help Tore to figure out how he can find him self again (yes, I am strange... :p), so I decided to crank open gmax and work a little more with Ben's lovely models.

On flat ground:
http://www.cripplecreekrailroads.com/trainz/screenshots/aerial_tram_spline1-flat_tbn.jpg (http://www.cripplecreekrailroads.com/trainz/screenshots/aerial_tram_spline1-flat.jpg)
Click for larger image (1280 x 395)

On hilly ground:
http://www.cripplecreekrailroads.com/trainz/screenshots/aerial_tram_spline1-hill_tbn.jpg (http://www.cripplecreekrailroads.com/trainz/screenshots/aerial_tram_spline1-hill.jpg)
click for larger image (1280x1024)

This is about the best I can do setting this up as a normal spline model.
It has some flaws, I had to put the tower near the end, as having it in the middle made it very hard to put in on a sloped ground like the lowest image above.
This makes the wire on the tower end only stick out 2,5 meter from the center of the wheels on top of the tower - will make a little problem when using in connection with end models.
This model has no end models anymore, they need to be separate scenery items - as I don't think I can have starts and ends on a normal spline (non bridge spline).

I need to clean up the model a little, it stands now with over 15500 polygons for a 60 meter long spline - and I need to set up both the full and empty bucket with the same texture, on the above pictures they uses the textures Ben had on the files I got, making them look different from each other.

I would love to try to use this models as a start point for a system where the tower are separate, the wire are separate and the buckets are separate (yes, it will in time makes it possible to use portals as ends...:wave:)
This will make the system slight harder to put in, but more flexible...

I'm not sure I get time to work on this tomorrow, or Sunday, but I will fix it up as fast as I can (I'm not as fast as Ben though. :p).
My parents are here till Sunday, so... :hehe:

Take care all

Linda

Shortline2
July 21st, 2009, 11:47 AM
Hi,

It is now Monday evening here in Norway, and those few who are interested might have noticed I've updated the picture in my post above here.

I've cleaned up the mesh as good as I can, all buckets have the same color/texture now, I changed the foundation texture and is in process of doing a test look of this inside of TRS2004 as until now all my test been in TS2009 native mode. also where the screenshots are taken.

Unless I have a crash in TRS2004, I consider my rework done, will send of an email to Ben with the files - and from there on figure out if I or he should post this to the DLS.

I like his meshes, I been a little polygon hunting but not as much as I should I guess, but it is now down to 14948 polygons per 60 meter... :wave:

The end piece would need to be a standard scenery item - not sure if it is needed for this spline?
Please advice, as this don't include any ends.

Might post an update later tonight, Ben is fast to reply, I'm very slow so... :eek:

Best wishes all

Linda

bigboy4010
July 22nd, 2009, 01:44 PM
I can't close my mouth!:udrool: That is so incredible that my jaw won't stay up and the drool keeps flowing! What a great thing to see coming back from vacation. Thank you so much you two! You are incredible creators, and I am humbled to see you making such incredible pieces of scenery. Thank you so much. I will definitely expand my railroad just to showcase these a bit more. Thank you.:mop:

Shortline2
July 22nd, 2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks Bigboy4010. :)

I've talked with Ben, I've uploaded and approved through the DLS preview the spline, and I've sent it to the TPR Download Depot.
Now, the wait till either TPR or DLS get it through it's system, wonder who will be the first this time. LOL

I like the look of it my self, I sort of grown in love with it - but that is only because Ben made such a lovely mesh in the first place.

I found no error using it in TRS2004, but when it will be out there I'm sure if there has crept in some, I will hear about it. ;)

Till it will be available, drool over the images, just like I do whenever I look at it. LOL

Anything else while I'm here...?

OK, none, then I go away again, I'm busy with some carpentry on an orebin (http://www.cripplecreekrailroads.com/trainz/screenshots/ibm3-orebin-framework21-07-2009.jpg)... :wave:

Take care all, I will post again when the aerial spline is available - or other needs force me too. :eek:

Linda

Shortline2
July 23rd, 2009, 03:41 AM
Hello,

Much to my surprise, Auran was the fastest this time and the spline is now ready to be downloaded from the DLS. :)

The model is TRS2004 onward:

KUID2:77573:37210:1 (trainz://install/<KUID2:77573:37210:1>)
Aerial Tram Spline 1 (Not working)

Hopefully clicking on the kuid number will open Download (Helper) and install the model.

Have fun, will post again when TPR has it available too.

Best wishes all

Linda

Shortline2
July 27th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Howdy folks,

I was near the end of last week a little bored, and in a need of a higher tower for this basic model...

http://www.cripplecreekrailroads.com/trainz/screenshots/aerial_tram_spline2-hill_tbn.jpg (http://www.cripplecreekrailroads.com/trainz/screenshots/aerial_tram_spline2-hill.jpg)
So, I decided to make one... :p

Also, here seen on the flat ground:
http://www.cripplecreekrailroads.com/trainz/screenshots/aerial_tram_spline2-flat_tbn.jpg (http://www.cripplecreekrailroads.com/trainz/screenshots/aerial_tram_spline2-flat.jpg)

I hope this might be of some use too, as I know retreat to my self a little again. :wave:

It was for those who can't wait, uploaded to the DLS on Friday, but only now for about 1 hour ago I got the email from Auran saying it should be available within 6 hours...

From TPR, I have heard nothing, but they will come around when time is ready I guess. :)

The model is TRS2004 onward:

KUID2:77573:37211:1 (trainz://install/KUID2:77573:37211:1)
Aerial Tram Spline 2-high (Non working)

Hopefully clicking on the kuid number will open Download (Helper) and install the model.

Have fun, might post again when TPR has them available too.

Best wishes all

Linda

Shortline2
July 30th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Hello,

As I think I promised a while back, I've now got the word from TPR Download Depot that both the aerial splines are available there too.

In case it might be helpful to somebody. :p

Judging from the interest, I see no need to add any extra wire spline or the end houses, so until the day come that I may need anything else my self, I will not add to this setup above.

I hope it has been of help, and I leave the stage in honor of Ben and his great creations. :)

Me, I'm getting back to my mines, and some track work

Linda

bigboy4010
July 30th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Once more, thanks a ton to both of you. Excellent work, and I look forward to all your future creations.

cam123456789
January 26th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Were do you get these?

Hello gang,

While having an argument/fight with my husband, I had to do something useful of other variation then trying to help Tore to figure out how he can find him self again (yes, I am strange... :p), so I decided to crank open gmax and work a little more with Ben's lovely models.

On flat ground:
http://www.cripplecreekrailroads.com/trainz/screenshots/aerial_tram_spline1-flat_tbn.jpg (http://www.cripplecreekrailroads.com/trainz/screenshots/aerial_tram_spline1-flat.jpg)
Click for larger image (1280 x 395)

On hilly ground:
http://www.cripplecreekrailroads.com/trainz/screenshots/aerial_tram_spline1-hill_tbn.jpg (http://www.cripplecreekrailroads.com/trainz/screenshots/aerial_tram_spline1-hill.jpg)
click for larger image (1280x1024)

This is about the best I can do setting this up as a normal spline model.
It has some flaws, I had to put the tower near the end, as having it in the middle made it very hard to put in on a sloped ground like the lowest image above.
This makes the wire on the tower end only stick out 2,5 meter from the center of the wheels on top of the tower - will make a little problem when using in connection with end models.
This model has no end models anymore, they need to be separate scenery items - as I don't think I can have starts and ends on a normal spline (non bridge spline).

I need to clean up the model a little, it stands now with over 15500 polygons for a 60 meter long spline - and I need to set up both the full and empty bucket with the same texture, on the above pictures they uses the textures Ben had on the files I got, making them look different from each other.

I would love to try to use this models as a start point for a system where the tower are separate, the wire are separate and the buckets are separate (yes, it will in time makes it possible to use portals as ends...:wave:)
This will make the system slight harder to put in, but more flexible...

I'm not sure I get time to work on this tomorrow, or Sunday, but I will fix it up as fast as I can (I'm not as fast as Ben though. :p).
My parents are here till Sunday, so... :hehe:

Take care all

Linda

Shortline2
January 26th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Hi cam123456789,

Links to version on the DLS is in the posts above yours, search the DLS for "Aerial Tram Spline" in the title field, or check the above posts.

Or, go to the TPR Depot (http://www.trainzproroutes.com/downloads/) (http://www.trainzproroutes.com/downloads/) and search for it there.

Hope it helps?

Linda

cam123456789
January 27th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Thanks!