PDA

View Full Version : 2006 trees were better than 2009

Approach_Medium
June 1st, 2009, 07:05 PM
I am very disappointed with the way trees look in TS2009 compared to 2006.
Maybe the poly count in 2006 was lower, but at least we didn't have to deal with these ugly postcard like trees which look like cardboard posters standing on the ground.

Someone told me that it has to do with the alpha-channel.
I'm wondering whether, if I just import the old trees from 2006 into 2009 they will look better than native 2009 trees?

FW

Euphod
June 1st, 2009, 07:18 PM
In a word, no.
The only way to use 2009 right now is in compatibilty mode. 2006 trees will look the same then.

Approach_Medium
June 1st, 2009, 09:47 PM
In a word, no.
The only way to use 2009 right now is in compatibilty mode. 2006 trees will look the same then.
Actually, 2009 trees are much higher poly count, or resolution, and look a lot better if only they didn't have such large alpha channel that blocks what is behind the tree.
I guess I have to live with them. I'm not going back to 2006.

FW

ZecMurphy
June 2nd, 2009, 07:43 AM
fwassner
I think you've confused things a little here.

Trees in TS2009 are, except for the small number on the DLS that are build 2.9 and the one in game (plus some new ones from Lots_Trains), all 'TRS06' style games. If you run TS2009 in native mode with these pre TS2009 trees you will end up with a see through area that WILL block out objects behind it.

The current set of trees for TS2009 (by jankvis) use a lot of polygon modelling for the tree, have extremely heavy LOD, and don't have the alpha channel errors. Although not perfect, they are still very nice models. But, they do show that something can be made to work in 09 native.

At this stage though. Your best bet is to turn TS2009 into compatibility mode, and run that way. You won't have the problem of alpha blending blocking out objects behind (you may have trees and wires appearing in the wrong order like previous versions though), and items with a 'faulty' marking in CM2 will function.

Have fun
Zec

Approach_Medium
June 2nd, 2009, 08:52 AM
I have tried running in compatability mode, and this does not change the way the trees look. Do I have to shut down the game and restart after selecting compatability mode?
I'll give it another try, exiting the route after changing the mode, then going back into it.
I'll also give those trees by jankvis.

Thanks

FW

Euphod
June 2nd, 2009, 08:56 AM
Do I have to shut down the game and restart after selecting compatability mode?

Yes, yes you do.

Approach_Medium
June 2nd, 2009, 10:59 AM
Yes, yes you do.
Now I've got it working. I love those JVC trees. Actually, I had download some before, but forgot about them. They're gorgeous! Must have taken hours, if not days of work to create them.
I also like the JVC grass. That, along with the TS09 textures, is creating a nice looking landscape.

Thanks

FW