PDA

View Full Version : Locomotive testing facility?

transitguard
May 29th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Is it possible/has anyone ever thought of making an "industry" type thing that when a steam locomotive rolled onto it the running animations would be activated somehow? I mean the "rolling roads" used to test steam locomotives in the shop rather than on the road.

Sourdough
May 29th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Haven't seen or heard of one, but it would be something I'd like to use...:cool:

grumplstink
May 30th, 2009, 06:52 AM
:)Good idea, I'd have one. I'm sure someone could script it?

transitguard
May 30th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Now if only some kind soul would volunteer to script and model it...:D (if it's possible, of course)

Vitaliy616
May 30th, 2009, 07:22 AM
:D:D Smile

whistlehead
May 30th, 2009, 08:10 AM
http://frtim.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/puppy-dog-eyes.jpg
(not my image)

barn700
May 30th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Just put a buffer stop acrss the track, run the loco up to it slow, and hey presto, you can test the loco

Seen it, done it a long time ago !!!

transitguard
May 30th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Great, just the effect I'm looking for, but is there a way to make the buffer stop not derail me when I get above a certain speed? Let me check.

Edit: Now I am only limited by friction. I can wind the loco up to 34 MPH until the friction neutralizes acceleration. I just had to raise the "buffer speed" of the buffer. Now my testing and maintenance facility has a locomotive performance testing lab! Thanks Paul!

llebrez
May 30th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Let's get practical here: Good that you see the loco being tested. What about if when you have it at the industry, you can make adjustments? I mean acceleration and braking among other things. You don't like that way it runs? Take it to the "shop" and fix it!

transitguard
May 30th, 2009, 01:24 PM
The only thing is, I don't think config files can be edited in game. Mostly I just wanted the effect of a loco being tested. If it were possible, though, I think that being able to edit would be great

barn700
May 30th, 2009, 01:24 PM
OK its easy once done LOL

Now for others to use, tell them the KUID of the buffer, and the changes you made.

I used one of my invisible buffers to do the trick.

This way you can play around with the specs, and see the effect on accelleration vs friction, friction vs weight (look at the clock and see how long it takes to get to 30MPH etc)

I have given you the tools, now come up with the 'tricks' !!!

transitguard
May 30th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I used the timber sleeper buffer built-in to TRS2006. I cloned it and then edited the "buffer-speed" to 1000. A warning, though. When testing locomotives don't let them go too fast or else they derail no matter how high you set the buffer-speed. The UP Big Boy overpowers this tester easily when given too much throttle!:eek:

That is a good idea for editing engine specs, though. I would assume a person could calculate horsepower by roughly calculating the friction between the rail and the wheels (using mass and stuff) and using the speed at which it stops accelerating.

Edit: if you detach the tender, the loco won't derail at higher speeds. Some sort of error occurs when the tender is attached that causes it to bump into the locomotive hard enough to derail it. I have tried leaving the brakes on to steady the tender, but then the loco won't drive because the brakes are too strong on the driving axles. Anyone know a solution?

EDIT (again): I have found that if you pull up to the buffer, then set the brakes and uncouple the tender. Then release the brakes on the locomotive. You can test the locomotive to any speed without having the tender problem. As long as you don't pull away from the tender you can still get fuel and water.

cascaderailroad
May 30th, 2009, 03:21 PM
The PRR had a huge scientific test facility in Altoona Pa where they crushed and twisted railcars and locomotives frames, and they had a stationary rolling test bed to put locos through the all their notches.:cool:

barn700
May 30th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Most (if not all) loco testing facilities were stationary, single ended, with HUGE buffers at the end to hold a loose loco (should it happen)

transit: Yes you have to run slowly to the buffer, as the loco and tender will tend to buck and sway with the powers involved.

I see you are finding out all about the facility, its advantages and limitations, and being able to inspect the running loco is good (that is what I was using the facility for, checking animations of my steamers)

I have a similar testing facility for diesels too, and it can be used as an inspection area (with a pit), where the side inspection doors are opened !!

transitguard
May 30th, 2009, 06:01 PM
barn700: I mean when you are running AT the buffer during a test. The tender has to be uncoupled or else problems occur.

Cascade: that's what gave me the idea.