PDA

View Full Version : In a distance...

Mordachai
May 9th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Maybe it's a stupid or simple question but I'm curious about how far ahead the AI "looks" along the track. I guess there's at least two parameters; how far it looks for turnouts and how far it looks for signals.

I believe that when it comes to signals it checks the next signal no matter how far ahead it is, if it's at danger or caution the train will go to 50% of the line speed limit.

The issue arised when I had a train that reduced it's speed even if the next signal was clear(the one after that was at caution). The train started to reduce it's speed even before it reached the green signal and the block wich was at caution.
The distance between the signals was rather short approx. 400-500m, is it possible that the train reduced it speed because of the secons signal beeing at caution?

I hope you understand what I mean, the Trainz AI tend to be a bit rebellious at times. Are there any good guides or tutorials about how to handle the AI and it's lack of cooperation? :)

Cheers!

/Fredrik

Dermmy
May 9th, 2009, 05:28 AM
The AI generally looks two signals (or junctions) ahead. If there is a large physical distance (many miles) between the AI driver and the next junction/signal the AI can become confused and act as if there were no signal beyond the present location.

The default distance for an AI Driver to react to a signal is 500 meters, so with 400m between signals the driver could well react to a second signal even if the first sig was green. The distance can be edited by inserting the line

-autopilotsignaldistance=???

in trainzoptions where ??? or ???? is the required distance in meters.

Andy :)