PDA

View Full Version : TIGER Data for Canada

Rougespear7mm
April 25th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Hey there all,

I've built and imported into TRS2009 Surveyor a DEM map of the area I'm going to model (small at this point). When I was doing the tutorials for the TIGER data, it appeared to me there was no data available to use for Canadian maps, just for the United States. Am I missing a source for this TIGER information that I can convert and overlay my DEM map with for use in Surveyor?

Another thought... I have a jpeg map of the switching yard that I'm going to model. Is there a way that I can overlay this jpeg on top of the DEM to use for track laying? This is preferably what I'd like to do! Any thoughts I welcome!

Cheers, Brent

rick1958
April 25th, 2009, 06:20 AM
As far as I know the US has the only Tiger data.

I wish I had an answer to your second question. I also had the same idea. I have a 1915 map of the Reading yards (Reading, Pa) but the map is over 3 ft long. I paid to have it scanned, but by the time it's blown up full size to put on a plane in Gmax, it's worthless. If your map is small enough, the Gmax / plane idea does work. I used it on an East Broad Top route I was working on.

Rougespear7mm
April 25th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Would you care to elaborate on your thoughts there? My map is indeed small, only maybe 1000 yards square as it lays out a very small switching yard in downtown. If it's small enough, do you think I could do what you're suggesting?

Thanks, Brent

rick1958
April 25th, 2009, 05:27 PM
It really very simple if you know the basics of Gmax. Just make a plane the same size as your map is in full scale, then apply your map as the texture.

If you're on level terrain, it's very easy. Just set the plane several inches above the baseboards. If not, you'll need to keep raising and lowering the plane to expose the area you're working on.

If you aren't familar with Gmax, I'd be happy to give it a try if you'd like to email me your map. I'm not the sharpest knife in the kitchen, so maybe someone knows a better way?

Jerker
April 26th, 2009, 02:41 AM
G'day Guys,

Instead of doing it the hard way, why not make use of the especially already created objects called "Baseboards" (a search from the Download Station will find them)?...

Jerker {:)}

rick1958
April 26th, 2009, 04:10 AM
objects called "Baseboards"

Actually I never heard of "baseboards" but after checking, I think you meant "basemaps"? I've never heard of them either, but it does seem like a great idea. I'll have to give it a try with the large map I was referring to earlier in the thread. Thanks for the tip.

Jerker
April 26th, 2009, 10:39 AM
G'day rick1958,

Ooops, caught out in moment of thoughtlessness. You are indeed, correct I was referring to "Basemaps"...

Jerker {:)}

cascaderailroad
April 26th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Anyone wanting help importing Google Earth or Topo Map images into Basemaps... IM me, or contact me here...It is really easy...and sometimes is better than a DEM.

Although my 5280 baseboard (688 Mb) route would be a complete nightmare without a DEM.

Give me an specific area...and I will create a 1kmX1km image for you, for importing into (basemap a image) using MS Paint/Edit/Paste
Example: Spruce Creek Tunnels:
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/cascaderailroad/B.jpg

---------------------------------------http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/cascaderailroad/A.jpg

http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/cascaderailroad/1kmx1kmColorBigSandy.jpg

Rougespear7mm
April 28th, 2009, 12:22 AM
cascaderailroad,

Okay mate, you have my attention... How would I go about using these "basemaps"? I checked the DLS, and there are quite a few varients on the file - which one shold I use?

Once I have a "basemaps", how do I overlay a jpeg image or Microsoft Live Local image/screenshot overtop to use as a tracing guide for track laying? The area I'm working on is in fact smaller than 1Km x 1Km, so I'm hoping this process will work; I'm hopeful! let me know please!

Cheers, Brent

cascaderailroad
April 28th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I too place GE and Topo images on basemaps, and lay them over top of DEM's, but mountains get in the way and are frustrating, as Basemaps do not bend and do not conform to the terrain. They can be raised up and down (to a certain extent), and manipulatng them is made easier if you edit and add the line in the Trainzoptions file to read: -surveyorfov=185.

First of all there are Basemaps A-Z and basemaps Zero-10 made by "Halfdan" ...and too you can make an unlimited number of your own Basemaps by "Cloneing" "Basemap A" and rename them by a new numeral in the config file. I have 1-50 custom made (and can show you how to do it).

Secondly of all if you take a basemap and Open for Edit in Explorer, and click on the: "square basemap A" file and press "EDIT" in "MS Paint" you can "Paste From" any jpg image in your MS Photos file. Making a 1024 x 1024 jpg image in Irfanview is easy, once you get the hang of it.

Actually getting a 1km x 1km image from GE is made easy using the GE Ruler/Metric/Path/ line tool, and physically drawing a 1km square box over top of the desired GE image, and use "MS Snip" to copy just the 1km x 1km image.

Generally I slightly overlap basemap images, so I get a reference point as to exactly where to place the second basemap on top of the first basemap.

As to sniping 1km x 1km images of Topo maps, on Maptech I enlarge the topo to 400 % then put a piece of masking tape on my PC screens EDGE at the same proportion to the PC screens height (so I can "Snip" a "SQUARE" image), (not a rectangular entire PC screen image). This gives you appproximatly a 1 Km square image.

Using MS Paint I have enhanced my "Basemap A" image...This baseboard has been expanded to 4 baseboards, as a basemap is larger than a single baseboard.

You can lay track on the track lines, and apply track gradients...and by laying 105" Road Spline on the Topo terrain elevation lines, then applying different ever increasing heights to each line, you can carve rivers beds, and raise mountains by hitting the smooth spline tool.
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/cascaderailroad/Screen_001-4.jpg

-----> See: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showpost.php?p=399491&postcount=378

IM me if anything is a bit fuzzy and is unclear.

But by making a DEM all of this can be eliminated...it's up to you...DEM's make laying track gradients a nightmare...and basemaps take forever to create a very large route.

DarthAge
April 30th, 2009, 11:32 PM
thanks for posting this other way of laying track, i just followed your advice and found that it would be a great way for me to do my layout (if i can ever find the time to do it :( ). I tried to the dem method but found that hard and i didnt get the result i was after (my error most likely).

Thanks

thomas724
January 7th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Rougespear try this

http://www.geogratis.gc.ca/geogratis/en/download/dem.html

Hope this helps
Thomas