PDA

View Full Version : WHAT!!!???

ozzie34231
April 21st, 2009, 03:46 PM
1. The mildly interesting part.
I recently recovered some HO scale trains that I built over 50 years ago. This has rekindled my interest in trains and in searching I came across Trainz.
The price is very reasonable; I bought it.
2. The ugly, at least so far.
First the download was absolutely ridiculous; almost 3 hours! This is the 21st century. I'm accustomed to downloading this size file in a couple minutes.
Secondly, the program runs the same way, ponderously slow. When I click on something there is no indication that it recognized the click and any reaction comes about like honey in sub-zero weather.
This is not a horrible machine, 2.8 processor, 1 gig RAM, more hard disk space than I can quickly count, thousands of Gigs.
I read the manual once quickly, and the capabilities sound awesome, but who can wait. I'm 71 in a few days, I don't think I have time.
What!!!???
Ozzie

deeelare
April 21st, 2009, 03:54 PM
Ozzie,

Welcome to the forum , which version of Trainz did you download ?
And 1 Gig of Ram is a probable cause for the slow actions .

--- ,dave

Sourdough
April 21st, 2009, 03:59 PM
Oooo...HO...my favorite...:D Your slow download may be due to the fact you don't have a First Class Ticket.....or if you do, it hasn't kicked in yet....:cool:

ozzie34231
April 21st, 2009, 04:12 PM
Hi Dave,
I downloaded yesterday, so I assume the latest, it says 2009 world build, etc.
What sort of RAM do I need?
I run some of the most sophisticated programs around, Inventor, Revit, Mastercam, Photoshop, all on this machine at seemingly instantaneous speed!
Ozzie

ozzie34231
April 21st, 2009, 04:17 PM
Hello Sour,
I don't know what that means?
And while I have some attention;
One of the reasons I bought the program was that I read somewhere that a fellow had designed his HO railroad with Trainz. As I said I rapidly read the 2006 manual and the 2009 but don't remember anything referring to scaling or creating a MODEL railroad. Are there some specific steps or do I wing it?
Ozzie

falcon500
April 21st, 2009, 04:18 PM
The speed of downloading a game has nothing to do with having a First Class Ticket. It would seem that this poor guy has bought TRS2009? I doubt many new to Trainz could run this very well or understand "Native and Compatible modes". Also Auran has understated both minimum and recommended PC specs. If you have TRS2009 I would ask for my money back and buy either TRS2006 or TRS2004. Both of these will run very well on your PC, TRS2009 wont run at full capability or run newer content when available.
Cheers

Sourdough
April 21st, 2009, 04:19 PM
Hi Dave,
...What sort of RAM do I need?

Ozzie
More than 1 gig for sure....even 2gigs doesn't seem to be enough anymore....:cool:
I thought you were talking about DLS downloading.....if you want to run Trainz you're just going to have to upgrade your hardware. TRS2004 would run decent with your set up....2006 would work but not as well as with 2gig Ram...

ozzie34231
April 21st, 2009, 04:21 PM
Another thing that bothers me is that Trainz seems to want to take over the computer! I don't see a way to minimize the program to check my email or look at Ebay. Some programs acted that way back in the eighties, but nothing I've seen recently!
Ozzie

Napalm
April 21st, 2009, 04:27 PM
I don't see a way to minimize the program to check my email or look at Ebay
You could always try running Trainz in 'Windowed Mode'. You can do this in the options screen from the Launcher window.

Nathan

Sourdough
April 21st, 2009, 04:40 PM
Be aware that with your processor and RAM, even in windowed mode, if you try to do other tasks while Trainz is running, your computer will probably fold it's arms, get pouty faced and say...no!....:cool:

ozzie34231
April 21st, 2009, 04:58 PM
I just tried windowed mode, still can't see how to minimize.

From the splash screen to the next is about 20 seconds.
From the stupid invitation to the internet site options to the first Survey screen is 35 seconds.
This thing is total crap. It has to be for $29. I should have realized that. What, $29 for the program hundreds for computer upgrade?
The stuff I'm used to costs thousands, that's my problem. I could draw an entire HO layout in Inventor, in 3D, before this thing gets off its duff.
A $150 program runs my CNC machines with a 1.6 proc. and 1/2 GIG Ram. It can simultaneously control 6 servos, poll the spindle thousands of times a second and correct servo movement a like number of times. Auran needs a programmer or two, BADLY, IMHO.
I fully understand that this is a game/hobby tool and I respectfully thank you all for your help. I mean no disrespect to this group.
Jerry Ozzie Pryor
Old Curmudgeon

Napalm
April 21st, 2009, 05:02 PM
Just to make you aware, when you run in windowed mode you also need to reduce the screen size or it will revert to full screen.

Sorry, meant to mention that in my previous post.

Nathan

martinvk
April 21st, 2009, 05:15 PM
Amazing how everyone thinks because there machine can run other programs that it automatically means it should be good enough for Trainz.

Remember back in the day when Flight Simulator was the acid test of computers that would separate the IBM and real compatibles from all the rest? Well I submit that Trainz is the new test standard. If it can run Trainz then it's a real machine. :wave:

Well this game has to render a complete world that offers total freedom of movement in any direction and do it in realtime. That's going to take some serious computing power no matter how slice it. So turn the performance sliders down low and slowly increase them to the point where things start to go wonky. That's all your machine can do. Either upgrade or get a new machine

Sourdough
April 21st, 2009, 05:23 PM
If you bought the program to use for designing HO layouts, then it probably won't be worth upgrading....I've got a number of good HO layout designing software that work fine with no hassles. Trainz just allows me to create train worlds I could never do in model railroading...:cool:

deeelare
April 21st, 2009, 06:25 PM
Another thing that bothers me is that Trainz seems to want to take over the computer! I don't see a way to minimize the program to check my email or look at Ebay. Some programs acted that way back in the eighties, but nothing I've seen recently!
Ozzie

You cannot minimize Trainz , you must exit (quit) , the program .
And you need more than 1 Gig of ram , sorry !

--- ,DLR

SuperFudd
April 21st, 2009, 06:34 PM
Hi Ozzie,

Trainz has never been intended to design a real model railroad. Having keyed that, it can be useful in that endevor.
I can minimize Trainz but I can't remember how just off hand. It took no special magic. Unfortunately my game (Trainz) computer died shortly after I became unemployed so a replacement will have to wait. The point is I can't run Trainz to remember how.:(
As pointed out, Trainz has to work much harder than a mere numerical control program.
As for the cost of computer upgrades, I sympathize. I remember how disapointed I was when I ran Duke Nukem 3D on a 33MHz 486. I really HATED to have to upgrade to a 90MHz Pentuim system.;)
By the way, if you don't have Vista, 1G of RAM should do OK. I was running .5G with XP and the inprovement was minor when I went to 1G. Mostly there was less hesitation. Yes, 3G would be better, particularly with Vista.
Yes, Trainz will suck up every cpu cycle you've got but then, If you are running Trainz, why would you want to run anything else? By the way, shuting down as many OS "processes" as posible so they don't waste cpu cycles is a good idea, learned from the flight sim crowd.
Yeah, I know what you mean about no feed back when you click on somethings. A pain in the posterior. Still the program runs fast enough for me as long as I stay away from CMP2. :hehe:

Don

Euphod
April 21st, 2009, 06:36 PM
You CAN minimize Trainz by doing an "Alt-Tab", but it may not appreciate it if done constantly. A First Class Ticket has no bearing on downloading the game. One Gb of Ram is not much, Trainz likes two and upward. Trainz is quite demanding of the RAM, CPU and GPU, and just when you think you've beaten it senseless with hardware, it finds another way to break your heart. Trainz would not be my first choice of planning a model railroad, but you CAN duplicate some very nice model railroads in Trainz.

Sourdough
April 21st, 2009, 06:42 PM
... A First Class Ticket has no bearing on downloading the game. .
Where did I read that before....? :cool:

Euphod
April 21st, 2009, 06:48 PM
Where did I read that before....? :cool:

Yeah, you see, I've grown accustomed to seeing the same answer I've provided in many threads repeated endlessly afterwords, so I asked myself "why". I have deduced that I must be on many members "ignore list", as many members are on mine, (but not you, evidently), and so they can't see my post. Working on this theory, I've realized that OTHER members may be on other ignore lists, so that you never really know if the OP is able to see what you've posted or not.

I have thusly dedicated myself to answering every question posed here, whether it has already been answered or not.

I'm sure that makes perfect sense to you now...:cool:

deeelare
April 21st, 2009, 06:50 PM

You CAN minimize Trainz by doing an "Alt-Tab", but it may not appreciate it if done constantly.

I stand corrected --- ,DLR

Euphod
April 21st, 2009, 06:52 PM

I stand corrected --- ,DLR

In your face D man!:wave: :p

meatloaf747
April 21st, 2009, 07:12 PM
Ozzie - Ozzie - Ozzie - Hoy - hoy - hoy... Sorry Ozzie, but I couldn't resist that one... (hopefully only a Kiwi could get away with that) !!! ;)
(I don't think the rest of the world understands this "Kiwi - Ocker" thing)... Rugby, racing & beer !!! (and now VinnyBarb's thrown "wild women" into the mix)... :hehe:

Ozzie,
Firstly, welcome aboard.
You can also use "Ctrl - Alt - Del" to get to your desktop while running Trainz as well.
As a number of replies have said; Trainz is a very resource hungry game - simulator. (2.5 - 3 plus gigs of RAM is highly recommended. 2.5 to 3.2 ghz dual core CPU & a good newesh video card with aleast 512 megs of ram).

You don't mention what sort of video card you have.
If you don't want to upgrade any of your hardware, you could contact Auran direct (or your local games retailer) for "The Trainz Collection" This has TRS2006, Trainz routes 1-4 for 2006, TRS2004, UTC & Trainz Paintshed.
Some of these earlier versions of Trainz's will run OK on your older PC !!!
I picked up a copy for my newphew about 17 months ago direct from Auran for $39.95NZ (thats about $24US)...
Good luck Ozzie with getting things sorted. Hang in there, because once you get the game-sim up and running properly you will soon become "hooked".
Very addictive !!!! :hehe:
Cheers, Mac...

Len2480
April 21st, 2009, 11:48 PM
You can minimise trainz by hitting the windows key..for short times.L

leeferr
April 22nd, 2009, 12:15 AM
And you need more than 1 Gig of ram , sorry !

--- ,DLR

I minimize my Trainz quite often by just hitting my Windows key on the keyboard check my email and then bring the game back up. This can cause the game to crash sometimes.
As stated earlier, Trainz is a very demanding game on most systems. Trainz will bring a very good machine to its knees, but once you get it tuned in, you'll be addicted. I used to be a model railroader, but have given that up. I've built routes that would be impossible as a model railroader.
I'd also have to agree that you're probably going to need more RAM. I'm guessing that's one of your problems. You also don't say what kind of video card that you have, but I'd suggest investing in a good one if yours isn't up to par for this game.
Mike

john259
April 22nd, 2009, 01:16 AM
TRS2004 will run fine with 1GB of ram on Windows XP and adding more ram has very little effect. Vista will probably need more. I don't know if TS2009 needs more.

What video board have you got? That's a critical factor.

John

Euphod
April 22nd, 2009, 01:44 AM
TRS2004 will run fine with 1GB of ram on Windows XP and adding more ram has very little effect. John

Have you tried it? It's only the single most effective method of increasing Trainz performance.

Over the past 8 years, I have changed Mobos, GPU's and RAM, and increasing the RAM is the best bang for the buck solution, bar none, no matter what version you are using.;)

john259
April 22nd, 2009, 02:18 AM
Have you tried it?
Yes indeed. I increased the amount of ram from 1GB to 3GB and it had hardly any effect on TRS2004's performance.

As a totally separate operation, I changed the video board to one with a much more powerful graphics processor and it had a huge effect.

As ever, "your mileage may vary" and the general opinion is that Vista needs more ram than XP.

John

Euphod
April 22nd, 2009, 02:43 AM
Okay, the original poster needs to buy more RAM and a better GPU then!

angelah
April 22nd, 2009, 02:49 AM
Hello Ozzie (I'll leave the numbers off!),

You are my age and I think you must be incredibly brave to dive into 2009 in the first place without going through the upgrade route most of us have, like from the original Trainz, through UTC and 2004.
I produce routes, quite a lot of them, for the Download Station, and to do that I use TRS2004.
I did buy Trainz Classics 3 but gave up trying to get CMP to do anything at all, at our age you haven't got that much life left!
So I stick with 04, it's easy to use, will most likely run fairly well on your PC's specs (and you can theoretically increase those by simply reducing the Detail levels and Draw Distances in Specifications, oh, and add full Daytime Fog Effect as well, that will help running enormously).
You should be able to pick up 2004 quite cheaply now, but make sure it is a new copy and has never been registered, otherwise you won't be able to register it yourself.
There is no CMP with 2004 either, just a couple of clicks on a downloaded assets puts it into the Trainz database, no hassle, no waiting, no messing about. Then the world is your oyster, and that includes the Download Station where there are masses upon masses of assets to add to your Trainz.

2004 will do most of the things other versions do and probably better in some cases, like the sound to mention just one.

Hope you can sort this out otherwise you will miss a wonderful and intriguing program that you will/can get addicted to.

Bless you,

Angela

happyj
April 22nd, 2009, 03:21 AM
You are younger than me, welcome to the wonderful world of Trainz.
Angelah has given you some sound advice. Start with TRS 2004 as it is a lot less complicated than later versions that rely on CMP to function. CMP can be temperamental to say the least.

Another suggestion, get Trainz Objectz from Tafweb. It provides many features that make Trainz more functional.

angelah
April 22nd, 2009, 04:03 AM
You are younger than me, welcome to the wonderful world of Trainz.
Angelah has given you some sound advice. Start with TRS 2004 as it is a lot less complicated than later versions that rely on CMP to function. CMP can be temperamental to say the least.

Another suggestion, get Trainz Objectz from Tafweb. It provides many features that make Trainz more functional.

Just remember that TO, as TrainzObjects is affectionately known, is for 2004, not later versions of Trainz.
But sound advice from happyj there, you can't go wrong with that....

Normally I would hesitate about recommending an older version because Auran are running a business and need cash-flow, but as I said, at our age you want things simple and for them to work first time, because time is against us.

Blessings,

Angela

john259
April 22nd, 2009, 04:41 AM
Yes, agreed, TRS2004 and TO is by far the happiest way to run Trainz for many people.

John

Rob
April 22nd, 2009, 05:27 AM
Angelah,

I'd be disappointed if you didn't at first discard what I am about to say as company man talk, but I can honestly say I haven't been so inspired by a version of Trainz since UTC.

Yep there are issues like there are in every increment of every version. I agree and appreciate that Content Manager is like that freaky looking person you don't ever expect to like.

It turns out they are a really great guy once you get to know them.

Angelah, I do also relate to the romance you have for the pre-Auran/Microsoft sims, which despite being comparatively simple, seemed to have an unlikely intuition for getting everything so right.

Content Manager has been here since 06 now and it's grown up a lot. It has saved me about 300,000,000 runtime crashes that I used to get experimenting with new things in the older versions; and I don't have to fiddle around deleting chump files or anything else.

Of course I have been heard to call it, Content Mangler, Content Damager etc etc but I have to say it's become one of my favorite little apps and taught me a lot about what's allowed from version to version.

Are you sure there isn't something among the new features that entices you? I would have thought a creator of your experience would welcome the new possibilities.

My comments are intended with the greatest respect.

~R~

narrowgauge
April 22nd, 2009, 05:49 AM
Angelah

I will second Rob's comments. Some time back he and I had a rather strenuous argument about CMP and my opinion of it's value. My opinion has changed, CM2 is a completely different animal and I am now so accustomed to using it that returning to TRS2006 or TRS2004 is like going back to working with Dos instead of Windows.

In all the months since the first Beta was made available, not once has CM2 let me down. If I want something off the DLS, it is always available, every time and I think that speaks for the quality of the program. Trainz has always responded and is stable, I can flip in and out using the Windows key and it has never frozen, unlike the previous version.

I strongly believe that TS2009 will develop into the program we have all been looking for. It is still being developed so I will agree that for some it might be too early to change, however it would be a missed opportunity to ignore it completely, even at these early stages. It really is a better program. Use it, help find the bugs, comment about the things that matter to you but don't ignore it.

Peter

ozzie34231
April 22nd, 2009, 08:59 AM
Hi Mac,
You and the others certainly are an enthusiastic bunch, I salute that.
Don't know anything about your side of the world, sorry. My middle name, Ozzie, has to do with my parents enjoyment of a bandleader in the great depression, a fellow who later became a TV star, Ozzie Nelson. If you're less than 50 years old you never heard of him.
I'll play with Trainz as time permits, seeing if cutting back the operational perameters, improves performance. I might even think about more RAM.
I think the Video card in this machine is an Nvidia with 512 on board.
What does RAM cost these days.
One problem with getting old is that prices always seem shocking, and we haven't seen anything yet.
Jerry Ozzie Pryor

john259
April 22nd, 2009, 11:27 AM
nVidia make hundreds of models of video boards :(
Use a free utility audit program such as Belarc Advisor (http://www.belarc.com) to discover what model you have. Then look up which tier it is on Tom's Hardware Guide's list (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-geforce-graphics,review-31451-7.html) (most powerful at the top). Check AGP/PCI compatibility, slot space, and that your power supply and fan can cope with a more powerful board and look up prices online.

What does RAM cost these days.Run Crucial's free online utility (http://www.crucial.com) to check your memory upgrade options, then look up prices online. You may be in for a pleasant surprise.

If any of the computer jargon is a mystery, try Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page) for explanations. That's also an excellent reference source for railway terminology (and just about any other information).

If you're not confident fitting new parts inside the computer, get someone competent to do it for you even if you have to pay them to do it.

John

Irving
April 22nd, 2009, 12:13 PM
:D
1. The mildly interesting part.
I recently recovered some HO scale trains that I built over 50 years ago. This has rekindled my interest in trains and in searching I came across Trainz.
The price is very reasonable; I bought it.
2. The ugly, at least so far.
First the download was absolutely ridiculous; almost 3 hours! This is the 21st century. I'm accustomed to downloading this size file in a couple minutes.
Secondly, the program runs the same way, ponderously slow. When I click on something there is no indication that it recognized the click and any reaction comes about like honey in sub-zero weather.
This is not a horrible machine, 2.8 processor, 1 gig RAM, more hard disk space than I can quickly count, thousands of Gigs.
I read the manual once quickly, and the capabilities sound awesome, but who can wait. I'm 71 in a few days, I don't think I have time.
What!!!???
Ozzie
Ozzie; I am running a 3.2Ghz / 2 GB Ram machine with a 256MB Video card, and am happy with the performance of TS2009. You did not mention a video card - without a video accelerator you are using the native pc video. TRS2006 and TS 2009 require a video card.
I also am using a High Speed DSL modem, are you using DSL or dailup??

My only wish is that I had a more modern 512MB video card as this one tends to overheat with out an extra fan.

angelah
April 22nd, 2009, 12:27 PM
To NarrowGauge and Rob,
I do appreciate what you're saying and it may surprise you to know I do own TC3 having bought it recently. It ran too, but I just could not get CMP to work. Several folk gave very helpful suggestions but whatever I did and whoever's advice I followed, the wretched thing just sat and looked back at me saying IDLE.
It's simply time, I don't know how much I have on this world left so cannot spend much more than a week trying to make a version of Trainz work when I have a perfectly good version up and running already.
So perhaps you can see what I am saying now.
04 works amazingly well.... I hardly ever have problems. Why make it endlessly more complicated and call it something else?
So TC3 has been relegated, words that most men will understand, to the bottom of the league. With a snort of disgust I just don't use it. I also had a sound problem with it even with the patch installed....
I produce routes, as you know. I don't usually run a route, only to test, so better performance and greater visual distances don't worry me, nor importing vast quantities of rolling stock. All I want is to be able to download and import assets simply and quickly, and that doesn't seem possible with TC3, not on my PC anyway. It almost refused to import a cdp of a route I made from my own PC. I say almost because it eventually did and I went in and had a look, but there was so much missing....well, you know what that looks like. Next time I went to open it the route had vanished! That was the moment I said, enough is enough, bye bye TC3...
Hence I stick with a Trainz that creates as easy as pie, or if you're English, it's a piece of cake.

Blessings,

Angela

angelah
April 22nd, 2009, 12:30 PM
To Ozzie,
Yes, I have heard of that person...
If you would like to see what I do with 04 go to this thread....

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=39953

You can do that too...

Bless you,

Angela

narrowgauge
April 22nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
Angelah

It seems that Rob and I were not talking about your concern. In my opinion, CMP in TC3 was the same 'dog' that it was in TRS2006 and I know I would agree that TRS2004 is preferable to TC3.

We were talking about TS2009 in which CM2 is kind, gentle and always cooperative, just like me. TRS2004 is going to be left further and further behind as TS2009 matures.

Peter

ozzie34231
April 22nd, 2009, 06:35 PM
You all sound like a government!
I'm very new to this Trainz thing.
What is CMP, TC3, CM2, DLS, and on and on?
Ozzie

meatloaf747
April 22nd, 2009, 06:37 PM
Hi Mac,
You and the others certainly are an enthusiastic bunch, I salute that.
Don't know anything about your side of the world, sorry. My middle name, Ozzie, has to do with my parents enjoyment of a bandleader in the great depression, a fellow who later became a TV star, Ozzie Nelson. If you're less than 50 years old you never heard of him.
I'll play with Trainz as time permits, seeing if cutting back the operational perameters, improves performance. I might even think about more RAM.
What does RAM cost these days.
One problem with getting old is that prices always seem shocking, and we haven't seen anything yet.
Jerry Ozzie Pryor

Sorry Ozzie,
I just assumed with a name like "Ozzie" that you where a true blue "Ocker" from "downunder" living in the States. Well hopefully you have seen enough of the world to know about "rugby, racing & beer". They are National past-times down this part of the world... :hehe:
Ozzie Nelson was alittle before my time. (Jimmy Hendrick, Black Sabath, Urah Heap, Deep Purple, The Doors & The Who where more my time). :hehe:

Turning the sliders more to the left (from the default settings) will definately improve performance.
Your video card sounds OK, but I would still highly recommend you increase your RAM upto 3 gigs.
The cost of DDR & DDR2 ram has come down sharply (because of DDR3) so it won't cost you an arm & a leg anymore to increase your ram upto 3 gigs.
If you are not sure how to do it yourself, then contact any Tec guy or gal that you know, or take your case/Tower to your local computer repair shop and they will install it for you for a small fee. (plus the cost of the ram). It's only a two minute job...
Happy Trainzing.
Cheers, Mac... ;)

Euphod
April 22nd, 2009, 06:37 PM
You all sound like a government!
I'm very new to this Trainz thing.
What is CMP, TC3, CM2, DLS, and on and on?
Ozzie

Content Manager Plus (2006)

Trainz Classics 3

Content Manager 2 (2009)

Download Station

AFAIK, HTH :D

ozzie34231
April 22nd, 2009, 06:47 PM
Looks like an upgrade to 2 GIG RAM will cost nearly $100 with tax and shipping.
This machine only has two slots and it has 1/2 GIG modules. I can use them in my other machines but......
A new video card looks like another $100 plus.
That would not be so bad, but then I'm thinking I still have an aging machine!??? I won't buy a new one unless I win a lotto and I can't do that because I never buy a ticket.
And would I do this to run one program in which I have a mild interest. Since retiring I have very little time on my hands; I don't know how I ever had time to work.
Maybe I'll play with a previous issue!
Ozzie

deeelare
April 22nd, 2009, 07:14 PM
Ozzie,

Sarasota , Florida does not have a computer store ?
Have you inquired regarding your motherboard and what it will handle as far as Ram ?
$100 to upgrade to 2 Gig of Ram seems pretty stiff , I just purchased (2 ) 1 Gig of Ram sticks for $ 24.95 each , and I know I could have bought a 2 Gig for cheaper then $ 49.90 ( but that maybe only CA. ) !

Just a thought --- ,DLR

goochy
April 22nd, 2009, 07:15 PM
G'day all,

Don't forget ALT TAB. Allows you to switch back to MS world and back again.

I have a moderate IBM notebook, specs are for programming etc not for playing games and yet TS09 works perfectly fine for the majority of layouts etc that I have tried or created. Some of the layouts are extremely large and detailed.

You may need to check your task manager, not trying to be insulting here, but I have helped a few locals (aussies) and have found that they are running > 60 processes and that even with 1 gig installed, the myriad of little apps are taking up 600 Meg, not leaving you with much to play with.

Another food for thought is your 'anti-everything' software. I have ended up using Sunbelt Vipre and Sunbelt firewall as these are beaut little programs to keep the nasties out and don't use a lot of resources.

Hope this helps.

meatloaf747
April 22nd, 2009, 07:24 PM
Ozzie,
Not sure where you are getting your RAM prices from but $100US seem pretty pricey !!! (I've seen several sites in the US offering 2 gig modules of DDR2 ram for less than $30US (plus tax & freight)...

Heres an example; http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/EP4902706.htm?utm_medium=cpa&utm_source=Sh

If you are going to purchase RAM via the mail, make sure you take out the existing module and get those exact spec's off that ram. Make sure you are order the the exact same RAM... (eg; DDR2-400, DDR2-677, or DDR2-800).
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Cheers, Mac...

ozzie34231
April 22nd, 2009, 08:28 PM
I've lived in Philadelphia, Harrisburg,PA, Los Angeles, and Sarasota.
There is no comparison between a city and all else.
Internet prices beat anything local here in Sorry-sota.
This board takes 3200, 400 DDR. About $34 a module and I need two plus postage.
I hate small towns but I'm almost 71 and this is where I've ended up.
Anyway you slice it it's still a couple hundred bucks. My next move will be on a gurney!
Ozzie

ozzie34231
April 28th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Well if I look at my rantings of about a week back, I must now be in an apologetic attitude.
I decided to learn more about Trainz. I installed 2006 and have read the entire manual. I did the tutorials and have run a route. I tried a German one but there was too much I didn't understand.
I also found out that 2009 really will run on my hardware if I can wait out the incredible loading time.
I've done enough to get hooked.
I think I'll make a display for my 50 year old H.O. stuff and do my railroading with Trainz. The money I would have spent on HO I'll put into computing and Trainz stuff.
My immediate moves have been to order an Nvidia 512 card and a couple 1gig memory modules. I originally thought these things would cost $200 but I found the stuff on 'bay for about $120.
I know I'll still have an aging box, but maybe Santa will bring me something more modern.
Thank you all for your enthusiasm,
Ozzie

john259
April 28th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Another sinner saved :)

Ronayne
April 28th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Out of interest, what were the HO models you have? I have a few. An Intercity XPT, 1 Illonois Central diesel, 1 NSW 44 class, 2 PCC Trolleys, 2 Brill Trolleys, 1 Melbourne W class tram, 1 UK double deck tram, 1 UK diesel shunter and 1 Uk Jinty 060.

meatloaf747
April 29th, 2009, 03:24 AM
I've done enough to get hooked. Thank you all for your enthusiasm,
Ozzie

I tried to warn you Ozzie !!! It doesn't take much to get "hooked". The only way of getting over your "Trainz's" addiction now is rehab... :hehe:
Great to read that you are getting more ram & a new video card.
Happy Trainzing.
Cheers, Mac... ;)

Thunderchild177
April 29th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Ozzie

Press the "Windoze" key. This will pop open your start menu. If you have "Show Desktop" in your quickstart icons, press that, and everything will then be minimized. You can then do what ever else you need to do. To get back into Trainz, click the tab for the program.

That sounded more complicated than it really is, I promise.

Euphod
April 29th, 2009, 10:27 AM
You may also use "alt/tab" to reduce Trainz to the taskbar, but it doesn't appreciate being "second fiddle" too often, and may crash.

Thunderchild177
April 29th, 2009, 12:11 PM
You may also use "alt/tab" to reduce Trainz to the taskbar, but it doesn't appreciate being "second fiddle" too often, and may crash.

Beats my way, which I didn't know.

ozzie34231
April 29th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Yes, I found I can go to other windows in the suggested ways.
But I also find that with the present state of the computer, ( new vid card, still only 1 Gig mem, waiting for new ),anything else running slows T a lot.
What screen res are most of you running?
I'm increasingly thinking that I should be running Trainz on a computer dedicated mostly to that program only.
I have 4 computers here at this spot and they all do specialized work, but not 24/7. I must think about how I want Trainz to fit in and what minimally extravagant lengths I want to go.
If my wife really knew there are 7 computers running in the house she'd kill me, how can I risk another!
Ozzie

SuperFudd
April 30th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I believe I have read that running Trainz off a drive that does not contain the operating system is a good idea.
I use 1024x768. Well I did until my computer that died of old age.
I now run 600x800 on my daughters old HP machine with on main board video. That is the only resolution that works at all. TRS2004 works OK but not TRS2006. I have not tried my TS2009 on it.

Euphod
April 30th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I run Trainz at 1920 X 1200.