PDA

View Full Version : whats up with auran

revans
March 30th, 2009, 07:37 PM
No content for a soild week so whats up are they dead or are they not supporting 2006 any more iam due to renew my first class ticket if they no longer support 2006 i will not renew at all if they do'nt support why waste paying $20.00 for a year service that is'nt no good but i did see were rail sim is coming out with new one

johnwhelan
March 30th, 2009, 07:41 PM
No content for a soild week so whats up are they dead or are they not supporting 2006 any more iam due to renew my first class ticket if they no longer support 2006 i will not renew at all if they do'nt support why waste paying $20.00 for a year service that is'nt no good but i did see were rail sim is coming out with new one

What you're after is content for TRS2006 and below, content creators are still making it and it is still being up and downloaded from the DLS.

Cheerio John

Euphod
March 30th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Yeah, they been a bit slow on the uptake lately...but what I find distressing is that all of the geniuses are supporting 2009 as they divide the value of the display matrix by pi and modify the shading tables by an equivalent amount to reach the 2009 co-efficient by a margin of LOD error of 2.15 or less...

...while the regular Joe's complain about it not working...

bchester
March 30th, 2009, 08:10 PM

Auran does not produce new content for old platforms. They release the game engine and it is up to you, me and the rest of the Trainz community to produce and provide the content for your pleasure. It is a privilege not a right.

It is the attitude of end users like you who demand more content that I, for one hesitate to release my creations on the dls. It takes an extremely long time to create an item of content. No one has to contribute any thing and you should not expect it.

What have you contributed?

My two cents!

Bricey

narrowgauge
March 30th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Revans

There are 110,000 items on the DLS and you complain that no-one has uploaded new content. I do not understand this 'must have the latest goodies' attitude. New content is nothing to do with Auran, they provide the DLS for creators to distribute content. If there is nothing new then nothing new has been uploaded, simple fact.

If you have run out of new stuff, fire up Gmax or Blender and make your own.

It is increasing likely that people will choose to make for TS2009, despite Euphod's repetitive denigration of the program, TS2009 and CM2 work very well and I have no regrets about changing.

Narrowgauge

revans
March 30th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Revans

There are 110,000 items on the DLS and you complain that no-one has uploaded new content. I do not understand this 'must have the latest goodies' attitude. New content is nothing to do with Auran, they provide the DLS for creators to distribute content. If there is nothing new then nothing new has been uploaded, simple fact.

If you have run out of new stuff, fire up Gmax or Blender and make your own.

It is increasing likely that people will choose to make for TS2009, despite Euphod's repetitive denigration of the program, TS2009 and CM2 work very well and I have no regrets about changing.

Narrowgauge

maybe its time to take a break from trainz i not creators and never willbe i wasn't trying to any body so if be it!

meatloaf747
March 30th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Auran have been pretty busy lately. They have just taken three from that division and put them over in the other division.
They then swapped around a couple of others, then decided to bring one back...
Now they are talking about adding another four to the "XYZ" team, Problem with that is it might still leave them two short in the "ABC" team.
Which means they will have to bring back two, before they can swap over the other four !!! :hehe:
(That's not even taking into consideration who might get the promotion, which will have to be decided before they take back those two, and then add those other four)...... :eek:

In other words 'revans', "DON'T FRET", please be patient !!! All will be revealed !!!
A truckload on 04, 06 & TC3 will be uploaded to the DLS in the coming weeks/months/years, so you have nothing to worry about... (their's already plenty getting approved/waiting to get approved as we speak)...
A number of hardcore 04, 06 & TC3 creators will still be creating 04/06/TC3 content for years to come. (04 has been around for nearly six years now, and look what's still being created for that)...

At the moment the "powers to be" at Auran are carefully prioritizing their workload, with the resourses they have available. - Keeping in mind that's it's all about making sales, fixing bugs, so they can make even more sales, and there's also another really important factor... "MORE and MORE SALES"
Sales is/will be the only thing that keeps Auran in business)...
You buying a FCT is viewed as a 'sale' to them. Why, because it is bringing in more revenue. Revenue that help's pay the bills. "Revenue" is whats needed for Auran to survive !!!!

(Auran stopped supporting TRS2006 when they brought out SP1. A large number of creators are still supporting 04/06/TC3 & will continue to do so) !!!

Footnote on the 6 cents a day it cost you to have a FCT. Doesn't that give you unlimited access 24/7 to the existing 110,000+ 04, O6, TC3 (& 09) content, at a reason speed ?
If you are not uploading routes that you have created to the DLS, why don't you visit the dozens & dozens of great 3rd party sites that have great content that you can download (alot of which is not on the DLS) ???
I don't know anything about RS. Do they offer a FCT, with virtually unlimited downloads, for 6 cents a day ???

My personal advise; people should just enjoy Trainz's for what it is, and view any additional free content as a wonderful present from the hardworking, dedicated creator/s...
Happy Trainzing. Cheers, Mac... :o

R707
March 30th, 2009, 11:08 PM
You just need to chill out, and take a rethink.

TS2009 will evolve, and will be the catalyst for some very intuitive thinking when dealing with developing new content.

Yes, there are growing problems at the moment, but if you think back, there were many problems with all previous versions of Trainz.

I have been here almost since the day Trainz hit the market. There is one that being a model railroader teaches you, and that is to have the patience of Jobe. In HO and other gauges, a keen model railroader has to be everything in creating his empire. In Trainz, you are still the boss of your empire, and must maintain it in a similar way to real modelling.

Having to create everything is hard, but it is rewarding.

The community needs ideas, and development from all. Everybody has something to offer. Not all people are good when it comes to creation of rolling stock, in either Trainz, or in real railroad modelling. Others fill in the huge gap by creating rolling stock, scenery and a host of other items for the virtual world, or real modelling.

Think about your decision. There are a lot of us Trainzers find themselves frustrated by things not happening yesterday. One solution is to educate yourself in the tools to develop wagons, locomotives etc..

If you stick with it, the rewards will be great satisfaction. If you turn away from everything that is not working to your plan, then you may just end up a grumpy old man with nothing to occupy your time.

I have never taken the time to learn how to use Gmax, or Blender, but I do intend to learn. This will be a new curve for me. It will not be easy, but I can say "hey, I have created something"

Pete :wave:

American_Connections
March 30th, 2009, 11:47 PM
[quote=revans;423085]...content... go beyond auran! Look over the fan site links thread for creator sites. At least it can be put to use this way! http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=7969

dreddman
March 31st, 2009, 12:59 AM

Man! your the sorta GUY! that creators love to see on the forums........
Maybe content Creators have ...Lives...Work..other Hobbies ETC ETC and are themselves in their limited spare time are looking at 09, trying to update models or create new ones to fill the viod in yourlife for FREE!
So go run off G$T the other sim and see how much content you will get Every Week!
:o .................................................. ..............

meatloaf747
March 31st, 2009, 01:00 AM
Here's some more. Keep in mind with some 3rd party sites you need to register first before you can download anything...

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Trainz/Downloading_From_Third_Party_Trainz_Fansites

Cheers, Mac... ;)

leeferr
March 31st, 2009, 01:21 AM
Don't want to get on you too hard, but your $20 isn't paying for us to create things for you. It's paying for a faster download service and no daily limits. Don't pay the money and you can still get a lot of wonderful stuff and absolutely free of charge. A pretty good bargain for the original purchase price of the sim.
We creators create when we have the time and inclination to do so and do all of this hard work for the pleasure of it and an occasional thank you. We don't ask for much, just a little patience.
I wish you luck, but I think you'll find that Trainz is the best sim bargain out there and I applaud Auran for giving us the DLS and a set of tools that we amatuers can actually create with and fairly easily get it into the sim.

Mike

gus1911
March 31st, 2009, 06:47 AM
I just love forums. Any kind. You meet some of the strangest, illogical, misinformed, and demanding folks on forums. Here's a guy who expects others to spend months and years creating just one piece of content, so he can have it for free. Amazing!

And what's with the $20 complaint? Anyone can pick up $20 just by walking into bar rooms and picking up the loose change!

Perhaps I just shouldn't join forums. When I read comments by members acting like ungrateful welfare recipients, I really get annoyed.

mcguirel
March 31st, 2009, 07:18 AM
Could not of said it better myself, Leefer................

Gary_Evans
March 31st, 2009, 07:52 AM
Me thinks revans, no relation, should learn some proper spelling and grammar.
:(

revans
March 31st, 2009, 11:06 AM
thanks for the help fellows its time to hang up my and say goodby

ianwoodmore
March 31st, 2009, 11:16 AM
Actually the delay in seeing new content on DLS is more likely to be that the guy who runs it is on holiday.

Stationbeem
March 31st, 2009, 11:34 AM
If only he waited a few more hours before posting. Just looked on D/s ..guess what ...new items, and well worth waiting for no matter how long it takes. The virtue of patience can be so rewarding.

gfisher
March 31st, 2009, 11:54 AM
and it is still being up and downloaded from the DLS.

In fact the DLS has been kind of broken over the last week for uploads, although I think it may now be fixed.

American_Connections
March 31st, 2009, 12:31 PM
Maybe content Creators have ...Lives...Work..other Hobbies ETC ETC and are themselves in their limited spare time are looking at 09, trying to update models or create new ones to fill the viod in yourlife for FREE!
So go run off G$T the other sim and see how much content you will get Every Week!
:o .................................................. ..............I feel this way too. Been waitin with my update of my Allegheny wonderin if I should make it payware for all the time it took me to make. But as it was asked for as free, I am not sure what to do. It is not so good with cab mode I don't think, and since there is so much trouble with the Trainz DLS, I also think about the people that love to play the game. What to do?

motorbreath
March 31st, 2009, 02:25 PM
Perhaps I should thank ALL of the content creators again! Thanks, people. I am trying to make sense out of GMAX and it is beyond me. For anyone who hasn't tried it, it's no walk in the park. I have come to the conclusion that anyone who has successfully created ANYTHING is an artist and a computer guru. I doubt if I will ever be able to make anything useful. Hopefully I can at least contribute a nice route some day or a decent reskin. I think the Trainz community is about the neatest thing out there for railfans, and I am forever grateful to the creators. I've bought a little payware and will continue to do so as my situation improves, but the fact that most of what is available is free is astounding. I spent $20 on TRS06, and $20 on FCT. Not a bad set up at all for $40!

VinnyBarb
March 31st, 2009, 04:27 PM
:o .................................................. ..............

That is what YOU think.

I am locked into a cage 24/7 and get fed only if I produce something. No content no food. :hehe:

Realistically, as said above we are all waiting for proper guidelines for TRS09 to create content, in the meantime I build some new stuff and once finished I place this on hold until I know how to configure etc. and start with something new.

Once all is sorted out, you can expect a lot of new conten being available soon (TM).

Cheers

VinnyBarb

crohakon
March 31st, 2009, 04:54 PM
You know... I do agree with everyone that got upset with this guys post... but I don't think your rude reactions to his rude post will get Auran any more business... We need more people to purchase, and continue to purchase, Auran software for this company to survive... Even if the people who are purchasing it do not realize how much content creators go through to make one model. When I first got trainz I had no idea how much went into it on the end user side. It is something that has to be learned. So maybe instead of treating the ignorant people (like I was and to some extent still am) like s**t, maybe you could help educate them in a more inviting manner.

Just a thought....:o

OverlordNZ
March 31st, 2009, 05:25 PM
Yeah, they been a bit slow on the uptake lately...but what I find distressing is that all of the geniuses are supporting 2009 as they divide the value of the display matrix by pi and modify the shading tables by an equivalent amount to reach the 2009 co-efficient by a margin of LOD error of 2.15 or less...

...while the regular Joe's complain about it not working...

[Thunderous Applause] :) (fully agree Euphod)

And people wonder that I posted a statement that I'm building for TRS2004 first and if it works in others second. I'm not the only one, after looking at the 'latest and greatest' others have decided to stick with what they know and love.

2004 was in my estimation the "World Builder Edition".
Check the DLS and see what version most of that 110,000+ items are for.

IMHO, ever since 2006, Aurans shift has been to those that download and 'run' routes (and away from content creators like 2004 was). 2009WBE is the same but now they expect the old-time content creators to trash everything they know and love and re-learn everything to make more content specific only to the 'latest and greatest' ("native" mode)

I have also sent in my resignation as Beta Tester for 2009 because I don't think its worth it and will not be spending money on the "new" 2009EE or whatever it will be.

End of Line..

meatloaf747
March 31st, 2009, 05:29 PM
Revans,
Just had a peep at Auran's server's 'log file'. :o - Great to see that you are still with us and have already downloaded the latest DLS content.
I see that you have 36 "posts" to your name. That's great !!! Anything over 25 "posts" means that you are already hocked on Trainz's and have already become a Trainz addict/junkie...
It going to be a lot cheaper for you to now just pay the $20 to renew your FCT, rather than having to falkout the tens of thousands of dollars that's required to put yourself though private rehab to try and kick your Trainz's habit/addiction. :hehe::hehe::hehe:

(Ask any other Trainz addict & they will tell you they get the DT's if they don't get their daily/weekly Trainz's "fix")... :eek:

Your post obviously hit a bit of a raw nerve with some creators. You can't blame the creators, and while I'm not saying that your post was "demanding" in any way, it was alittle "well if they not going too, I'm not going too".

A lot of creators have had a guts full of the demanding; "I want", "I need", "I expect", "I demand", "I want it & I want it now" attitude of a small number of the community. Very rarely do you see the words; "please" "thankyou" "I really appreciate that" from these demanding few !!!
Nine times out of ten it's the same old knockers. (both young & old). Forever negative, always moaning, & know matter what, never happy with their lot.

Revans, stick around & enjoy the Trainz's rollercoaster ride. It may not be the only ride in town, but it's certainly the one that will give you the most thrills & spills.
Happy Trainzing...
Cheers, Mac... :p

American_Connections
April 1st, 2009, 03:59 AM
[quote=OverlordNZ;423534]...after looking at the 'latest and greatest' others have decided to stick with what they know and love...most of that 110,000+ items are for...because I don't think its worth it!...Auran expect creators to trash everything and re-learn specific only to 2009)quote]
Great summary and great modivator. I have been feeling like why even make anything if "They" will make all these assets un-usable to future games. But power is in the people (for auran that means in people's wallets), so as many are staying with 04 and 06, it shows that the wallets do not want a game like 2009 to have to clear all knowlege and begin again, they want a game that has all that has been learned, plus corrections to the problems found in thier use. Starting over just gives opportunity for a whole new set of different problems, as you can read in these forums. some even replicate problems repaired in earlier versions. With your words, I now feel kind a like I want to keep trying, even I cannot be part of the Trainz DLS anymore. I can be a part of the "Community of 04"!

Euphod
April 1st, 2009, 05:17 AM
I'm sure Auran did their best with 2009. They incorporated many improvements and even built in a compatibility feature for those of us that wanted lower frame rates...I mean wanted to use old content! They can't move ahead and stay behind at the same time I guess! Unfortunately all this mucking about with content is tedious, and everyone has a different threshold, or tolerance for what's required. For instance, I was willing to make thousands of corrections to move up to 2006, but I'm not willing to do the same now for 2009. Many users stopped at 2004, perhaps the majority. Some now are using 2009, it seems to be a personal decision.

The individuals that are working with TrainzDev and 2009 BETA are smarter than I, seem to have more patience, and are no doubt blazing trails I would have turned my back on. I give them full credit, and I'm sure they will craft an advanced product they can create in, and the new users can enjoy. I have reached a point of satisfaction with 2006, and will wait until I don't need a calculator to play 2009 before I venture further.

This business of breaking something to fix something else seems to produce diminishing returns. I expect it will produce diminishing sales as well, but I'm probably wrong. If I was smart enough to know that, I would be at TrainzDev with my slide rule!

Johnk
April 2nd, 2009, 06:46 AM
My web site Trainz Resources Directory is still being developed, but it already lists 60 sites that offer free content. The remaining 20 sites will be up in a week or two when I get back home from a trip to Melbourne. Take a look, it may just surprise you to see what's available out there.
http://trainzresources.com (http://trainzresources.com/)

American_Connections
April 2nd, 2009, 08:28 AM
My web site Trainz Resources Directory is still being developed, but it already lists 60 sites that offer free content. The remaining 20 sites will be up in a week or two when I get back home from a trip to Melbourne. Take a look, it may just surprise you to see what's available out there.
http://trainzresources.comTried through your site, but just get a blank page!
"Would Love to ber part of your site, add this:
Summary:
AC MonkeyWrench Models is a third party contributor to Auran Trainz Simulator. Content from static scenery items, products for hauling, splines for support structures, to drivable over-the-road trucks and train rollingstock. Here you can find many things not found anywhere else! The founder, Kent T Carter of SC American Connections SRL, named the organization after his fathers ranch (MonkeyWrench Ranch) back in Oregon, in memory of his father. In 2001, a fire took everything but the land itself from Mr. Carter, and with newly imposed government retrictions, was not allowed to rebuild a home on the land. Without ability to live there, Mr. carter made the decision to leave the gestapo tactics of the small town goverment in his home towm area, and venture forth into the world to find a new begining. He now resides in Bucharest ROMANIA where he discovered the love for creating Video Game Assets.
http://geocities.com/ac_monkeywrench_models"

aodgh0st
April 2nd, 2009, 12:40 PM
hey revans, about the original post. i pay 20 a year, i don't expect anything from it except faster download speeds and unlimited limits (whatever). thats pretty much what the FCT does. and i will say this, it does work. i downloaded 4 gigs in 2 hours but without it i would be capped at 100 megs for the day, which would take me 40 days? hope the math is right, but thats the jist of it. don't give up on trainz though, i've been tinkering with it on days i get home and there is nothing to do, been downloading and building since 2006, its a never ending cycle but when you get done with something, its a good feeling that you can sit back and use it. but 3 years at least and i have never put anything on the dls or anything. so if you download alot of stuff, then its definatly worth it to get a FCT, but an occasional downloader who may download 1 item every 20 days its not.

Johnk
April 3rd, 2009, 02:18 AM
AM, I'm not sure what you mean about the page being blank.Is my link incorrect? I can't check it due to shocking mobile connection where I'm staying, so please use link in my signature. Ta.

Your listing is in the next batch. I've already visited every page on your site and written a review. I'll include your resume in the right side bar or in the listing itself. I can't do much while I can't access the Internet properly, but the listing should be up some time next week.

Anyone else with a web site is welcome to visit the directory. If you own a site, please check to see if your page is listed. If yes, you may change the text by contacting me. If no, please wait for the next batch of sites to be uploaded. Just look at the date in the yellow box on the home page.

Thanks.

anelektr
April 3rd, 2009, 02:48 AM
AM, I'm not sure what you mean about the page being blank.Is my link incorrect? I can't check it due to shocking mobile connection where I'm staying, so please use link in my signature. Ta.

Hi John!

Your link works fine. Your ISP have being working a bit on and off (at least for the last couple of hours, and a couple of times yesterday), and i think that is why the "blank page".

Nice informative page by the way !

Kind regards, Al from Denmark.

American_Connections
April 3rd, 2009, 03:02 AM
...I've already visited every page on your site and written a review...
Thanks.Wow, a review! As you can see, there is a big change undergoing in the page format and information of content. It will be some time yet to get all the site pages done with the design. Every page update seems to require asset updates also, and to do things right takes time!