PDA

View Full Version : I didn't know the forums were around that long :)

OverlordNZ
March 9th, 2009, 11:29 PM
I didn't know the forums were around that long..
(from 'Whos Online' down the bottom of main page)

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/images/misc/whos_online.gif (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/online.php) Most users ever online was 2,307, January 1st, 1970 at 12:00 AM.

39 Years?

JimDep
March 10th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Naaahh, couldn't be.

Al Gore didn't invent the internet yet. :D

OverlordNZ
March 10th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Naaahh, couldn't be.

Al Gore didn't invent the internet yet. :D

Na..the internet was around then, it just was a 'secret society' for the pocket protector uber-geeks (like me) that no one knew about. No web, no broadband, no millions of ahole spammers and con-artists, just a 'C' shell, Xmodem and a 300bps modem ..

Ah those were the days...

meatloaf747
March 10th, 2009, 04:38 AM
That must have been around the same time as I was "getting beamed up by Scotty" :hehe:
Cheers...

Bill69
March 10th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Hi,

Around that time, in New Zealand and Australia, we had "Compuserve". It was a packet switching program and could be used to connect to other users if they also had a compuserve account. But seriously the date on that was caused by a glitch in the system, it also caused new posts to have that date as a posting date.

Cheers,
Bill69

FootplatePhil
March 10th, 2009, 04:48 AM
The Timelords played some tricks on us about 3 months back. All Trainzers on the forum at that time were sent spirally back through a time vortex. For a day and a night confused reigned. Threads went haywire. 2307 Trainzers caught back in 1970 posted anxious questions regarding their fate. Many were were lost.

Only some of us returned.

john259
March 10th, 2009, 05:09 AM
1-Jan-1970 is the dawn of time in MS-DOS, and maybe other operating systems.

StorkNest
March 10th, 2009, 10:01 AM
The Unix epoch is the time 00:00:00 UTC on January 1, 1970.

On this date in:

45 B.C. New Year's Day was celebrated on Jan. 1 for the first time as the Julian calendar took effect.

1781, 1,500 soldiers from the Pennsylvania Line--all 11 regiments under General Anthony Wayne’s command--insist that their three-year enlistments are expired, kill three officers in a drunken rage and abandon the Continental Army’s winter camp at Morristown, New Jersey.

1797 Albany became the capital of New York state, replacing Kingston.

1808 A law prohibiting the importation of slaves into the United States went into effect.

1840 The first recorded bowling match was recorded in the U.S.

1853 1st practical fire engine (horse-drawn) in US enters service

1859, Harper's Weekly featured a cartoon about New Year's Day.

1862 1st US income tax (3% of incomes > $600, 5% of incomes > $10,000)

1863 President Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation, declaring that slaves in rebel states were free.

1863 A farmer named Daniel Freeman submits the first claim under the new Homestead Act for a property near Beatrice, Nebraska.

1879 British writer E.M. Forster is born on this day in London.

1892 The Ellis Island Immigrant Station in New York opened.

1895, J. Edgar Hoover, the director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation from 1924-1972, was born. Following his death on May 2, 1972, his obituary appeared in The New York Times.

1898 New York City was consolidated into five buroughs.

1901 The Commonwealth of Australia was proclaimed.

1902 The first Tournament of Roses (later the Rose Bowl) collegiate football game was played in Pasadena, CA. University of Michigan beat Stanford, 49-0

1907 President Theodore Roosevelt shakes a record 8,513 hands in 1 day

1908 1st time, ball signifying new year dropped at Times Square

1915 On this day, advance elements of the 1st Regiment of the Marine 1st Division arrive in Vietnam.

1919 Edsel Ford succeeded his father, Henry Ford, as president of the Ford Motor Company. That same day, the company announced that it would increase its minimum wage to $6.00 per day. Henry Ford made history in 1914 by increasing the minimum wage in his factories to $5.00 per day, far more than his competitors were paying.

1926 The Rose Bowl was carried coast to coast on network radio for the first time.

1929 Roy Riegels runs 60 yards the wrong way with Rose Bowl fumble recovery

1934 Alcatraz Island officially became a Federal Prison.

1935 1st Sugar Bowl & 1st Orange Bowl Played

1937 The First Cotton Bowl football game was played in Dallas, TX. Texas Christian University (T.C.U.) beat Marquette, 16-6.

1939 William Hewlett and David Packard found Hewlett-Packard.

1942 On this day, President Franklin D. Roosevelt and British Prime Minister Winston Churchill issue a declaration, signed by representatives of 26 countries, called the "United Nations." The signatories of the declaration vowed to create an international postwar peacekeeping organization.

1942 Rose Bowl played in North Carolina due to Japanese threat-Oregon 20, Duke 16

1944 Army defeats Navy 10-7 in football "Arab Bowl", Oran, North Africa

1944 General Clark replaces General Patton as commander of 7th Army

1945 France was admitted to the United Nations.

1950 Ho Chi Minh begins offensive against French troops in Indo-China

1951 Massive Chinese/North Korean assault on UN-lines

1951 The Zenith Radio Corporation of Chicago demonstrates the first pay television system.

1954 Rose & Cotton Bowl are 1st sport colorcasts

1956 Elvis Presley records Heartbreak Hotel for RCA in Nashville

1958 Sammy Davis Jr marries Loray White

1953 Country singer Hank Williams Sr., 29, died of a drug and alcohol overdose.

1958 Treaties establishing the European Economic Community went into effect.

1959 Fidel Castro led Cuban revolutionaries to victory over Fulgencio Batista.

1966 On this day, advance elements of the 1st Regiment of the Marine 1st Division arrive in Vietnam.

1960 US census at 179,245,000

1961 Largest check issued, National Bank of Chicago to Sears ($960.242 billion)

1962 US Navy SEAL teams established

1962 the Beatles auditioned for Decca records in London on the same day as Brian Poole and the Tremeloes. Decca chose the Tremeloes.

1966 A twelve day New York City transit strike begins.

1966 All US cigarette packs have to carry "Caution Cigarette smoking may be hazardous to your health"

1967 Green Bay Packers beat Dallas Cowboys 34-27 in NFL championship game

1968 Evel Knievel fails in his attempt to jump 141 feet over Cæsar's Palace Fountain

1971 Tobacco ads representing $20 million dollars in advertising were banned from TV and radio broadcast.

1973 Roseann Quinn, a 27-year-old New Yorker, visits Tweed's Bar on the Upper West Side and is picked up by her soon-to-be killer. The incident inspires the cautionary novel and subsequent movie Looking For Mr. Goodbar.

1975 Haldeman, Ehrlichman, Mitchell & Mardian convicted of Watergate crime

1975 The magazine "Popular Electronics" announced the invention of a person computer called Altair.

1977 1st woman formally ordained an Episcopal priest (Jacqueline Means)

1977 Tony Dorsett runs for record 202 yards in the Sugar Bowl

1978 An Air India Boeing 747 jet crashes into the sea just after takeoff from a Bombay airport on this day in 1978, killing all 213 people on board. The crash was apparently the result of pilot error and equipment malfunction.

1979 The United States and China held celebrations in Washington and Beijing to mark the establishment of diplomatic relations between the two countries.

1983 - The ARPANET officially changes to using the Internet Protocol, creating the Internet.

1984 AT&T was divested of its 22 Bell System companies under terms of an antitrust agreement.

1985 The Internet's Domain Name System is created.

1985 US's 1st manadatory seat belt law goes into effect (NY)

1985 VH-1 made its broadcasting debut

1986 Soviet television aired a five-minute greeting from President Reagan and Americans got the same from Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev in the first such exchange between the superpowers.

1990 David Dinkins was sworn in as New York City's first African-American mayor.

1993 Czechoslovakia peacefully split into two new countries, the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

1993 Harry Connick Jr arrested at a New York airport for gun possession

1994 The North American Free Trade Agreement went into effect.

1995 Frederick West, an alleged killer of 12 women and girls, was found hanged in his jail cell in Winston Green prison, in Birmingham.

1996 After 27 years, Betty Rubble debuts as a Flintstone vitamin

1998 An anti-smoking law went into effect in California, prohibiting people from lighting up in bars.

1998 US Census Bureau estimates population at 268,921,733

1999 The euro became the official currency of 11 European countries.

2000 As the world celebrates, no major crisis arises from the dreaded Y2K computer 'millennium bug'.

2002 in the largest U.S. ground operation of the war on terrorism at that point, 200 Marines began a two-day sweep through deserted training camps in southern Afghanistan but found none of the terrorist leaders.

2005 a published report says interrogators at the U.S. naval base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, have routinely used inhumane methods that could be viewed as torture.

2006 Sydney, Australia swelters in 45C(113F) heat, a record for the city.

2008 No-smoking rules went into effect in France, prohibiting people from lighting up in cafes, bars and restaurants.

AndreaLuigi
March 10th, 2009, 11:53 AM
The Unix epoch is the time 00:00:00 UTC on January 1, 1970.

On this date in:

46573 B.C. Urghl Auaiau discovered how to get fire from two stones crashed together

45 B.C. New Year's Day was celebrated on Jan. 1 for the first time as the Julian calendar took effect.

1907 President Theodore Roosevelt shakes a record 8,513 hands in 1 day

Teddy had great hands

AHSAN
March 10th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I didn't know the forums were around that long..
(from 'Whos Online' down the bottom of main page)

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/images/misc/whos_online.gif (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/online.php) Most users ever online was 2,307, January 1st, 1970 at 12:00 AM.

39 Years?

Hello

Their was a glitch on the Auran forum software in November 2008:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showpost.php?p=362810&postcount=1

Regards

Ahsan:)

Iced8383
March 10th, 2009, 07:51 PM
If Trainz was around that long then it would be Trainz 1970...a.k.a. Trainz -1,000

illinoiscentral
March 10th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Well, then we were all on some alien planet with advanced technology because the computer didn't come around until...1983? maybe a year or two earlier...internet was not invented until around 89or91. Unless we were all looking at some record provided by the military on the "DOS", But still, the computer was not here until the 80's. And if this was 1970 then what is "RailSimulation"? Auran.com? Well by goly I ain't never heard of that!:cool:
Well, I'll just take my afro hair and go back to my disco ball.
Cheers, ILLINOIS CENTRAL

teddytoot
March 11th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Illinoiscentral

Just to be pedantic, the computer goes back to Babbage and his mechanical ideas in the 19th century. The personal computer arrived in the middle of the 70s and I made my first one from a kit in 1979. However you are correct that it didn't really take off for business use until the arrival of the IBM PC in the early 80s (In those days there was a saying that nobody got sacked for buying IBM)

wreeder
March 11th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Illinoiscentral,

I suggest you use Google to search for two items:

The history of the computer.
The English used on to break German codes in World War II.

The history of the Internet.
Most of the technology was invented in the 1960's.

William

illinoiscentral
March 11th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Yeah, maybe I don't have the facts, but my post was more of a joke, not a history lesson.:p

StorkNest
March 11th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I remember
- the Tandy Color Computer.
- Those monitor+keyboard with green screen devices that you laerned BASIC on.
- When games/simulators were nothing but text messages and you liked it.
- The first time I used an online service was through Radio Shack (not counting BBSs). Then I spent a whole day online and remember the first phone+electric bill that ended whole days online quick.

illinoiscentral
March 11th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Remember "Pong"? My dad's stories are very interesting...:p I really think it is neat how far the computer has come in the last 25years.
Amazing. Thank God we have them...

Stationbeem
March 11th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I remember my first computer. Top of the range "Sinclair ZX81" 1KB on-board ram with a 16KB add on pack. Not much bigger than a CD case, but a pain in the **** to run. Memories.........

Euphod
March 11th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Actually it just FEELS like we've been on these forums for the past 40 years!

OverlordNZ
March 11th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I remember my first computer. Top of the range "Sinclair ZX81" 1KB on-board ram with a 16KB add on pack. Not much bigger than a CD case, but a pain in the **** to run. Memories.........

I bought a dedicated small TV just for the use of the ZX81 I had :)
And a tape recorder for saving stuff (no hard drives or even floppy disks in those days)

Bill69
March 12th, 2009, 07:56 AM
1-Jan-1970 is the dawn of time in MS-DOS, and maybe other operating systems.

Yes and when we first started using MS-DOS we nicknamed it mouse dos.
At that time NEWDOS 80 was much better.

Cheers,
Bill69

Napalm
March 12th, 2009, 07:59 AM
My first computer was the Acorn Electron, used to sit for hours writting a program and then watch it run for 10 seconds or so :D

Actually, I still have the Electron, not sure if it works though, it's been sat in the loft at my parents for a looong time.

Nathan

john259
March 12th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Ha, newbies! Commodore PET, beat that :) :)

R707
March 12th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I have, and it is still in storage, a Xerox 621E.

When I bought it, there was an option of 5 and a quarter inch drives, or very large 8 inch drives.

Guess what I went for, yes, the larger, they could hold a massive 241K. And there was two drives, wow!!!!

Big deal now, but it was good for its time. Is an excellent word processor.

Maybe Xerox can add it to its Museum somewhere.

Unless there is some Trainzer who knows of a good museum for this relic, in beautiful condition, to see out its days.

Pete :wave:

OverlordNZ
March 12th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Yes and when we first started using MS-DOS we nicknamed it mouse dos.
At that time NEWDOS 80 was much better.

Cheers,
Bill69

I remember a friend of mine getting all teary-eyed when he saw the first 'IBM XT" with PC-DOS..

"You mean (sniff) I can have more than one directory!!!!"
(Before this you had only a single area to put saved files)

Directory="Folder" <-- a MS marketing ploy.

illinoiscentral
March 12th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Well hell, it was a God send when we all got telephones!:hehe:

flybynight
March 12th, 2009, 09:44 PM
How about throw in a TRS-80 :)

And if these forums where really that old, they would not be called a forum..

It would be called a Bulletion Board.

C:\format C:

C:\Are you sure? :o

Ok I think I have a goto 10 statment I need to run.....

Mick_Berg
March 12th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Illinoiscentral,

I suggest you use Google to search for two items:

The history of the computer.
The English used on to break German codes in World War II.

The history of the Internet.
Most of the technology was invented in the 1960's.

William
If you are interested in this stuff read about Alan Turing, who invented the computer, cracked the Enigma code and probably saved millions of lives in World War 2, then was arrested because of his personal life and committed suicide. One of England's darkest hours.
Mick Berg.

ajho
March 13th, 2009, 05:23 AM
If we are going to have a debate about who invented computers can I put in a plea for Ada Lovelace (http://www.sdsc.edu/ScienceWomen/lovelace.html). It is now recognised that both she and Charles Babbage were equal partners in the attempt to create an Analytical Engine, but that he got all the credit being a man.

Euphod
March 13th, 2009, 06:32 AM
It is now recognised that both she and Charles Babbage were equal partners in the attempt to create an Analytical Engine, but that he got all the credit being a man.

As well he should...

meatloaf747
March 13th, 2009, 05:28 PM
If we are going to have a debate about who invented computers can I put in a plea for Ada Lovelace (http://www.sdsc.edu/ScienceWomen/lovelace.html). It is now recognised that both she and Charles Babbage were equal partners in the attempt to create an Analytical Engine, but that he got all the credit being a man.

Not another famous Lovelace!!! (I think the world's still trying to get over "Linda") :hehe:
Cheers, Mac...

wridenour
March 13th, 2009, 05:47 PM
For a while, my calendar said: January 1, 1950. (a.k.a, TRAINZ '50).

illinoiscentral
March 13th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Remember when we got color TV? Well, I don't but my dad does!
Hell, for that matter the TV itself!

OverlordNZ
March 13th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Remember when we got color TV? Well, I don't but my dad does!
Hell, for that matter the TV itself!

Well, I'm old enough to be your dad's father :confused:

I can hear my bones creek ..

Cheers

Euphod
March 13th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Well, I'm old enough to be your dad's father

Good, we need more of the wise and aged ones here to guide our rudder, the experience and knowledge of those that have gone before us is priceless.

Except when it isn't...

illinoiscentral
March 13th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Good one Overlord:hehe:!
When you said, "hear my bones creak" just about was the funniest thing I've heard all night. Here's one,
1.The Beatles
2.REO Speedwagon
3.Charlie Chaplan
4.Puyi
5.Henry Ford
Now lets see how old everyone really is!!!:cool:
Cheers!!!

OverlordNZ
March 14th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Good one Overlord:hehe:!
When you said, "hear my bones creak" just about was the funniest thing I've heard all night. Here's one,
1.The Beatles
2.REO Speedwagon
3.Charlie Chaplan
4.Puyi
5.Henry Ford
Now lets see how old everyone really is!!!:cool:
Cheers!!!

From my "Younger Days"

The Prophet...Roger Waters..(When Pink Floyd was good)
Eagles (Hotel California)
Styx (Welcome to the Grand Illusion)
Boston (Living on a Prayer, More than a Feeling)
Journey (Anyway you want it)
Backman Turner Overdrive (Takin' Car of Business)

Now thats old..

Euphod
March 14th, 2009, 01:23 AM
The Prophet...Roger Waters..(When Pink Floyd was good)
Eagles
Styx
Boston
Journey
and of course The Rolling Stones
Now thats old..

Genesis... before Peter Gabriel left.....

illinoiscentral
March 14th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Styx!:hehe: Geez, I think you may have bested me, oh wait...Ned Kelley. Beat That.

OverlordNZ
March 14th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Styx!:hehe: Geez, I think you may have bested me, oh wait...Ned Kelley. Beat That.

Eddy Arnold (When I'm calling Yooou..oooie..oooo)
Johnny Cash (Folsom Prison Blues)
Elvis (Jailhouse Rock)
Little Richard (Rock around the Clock)
:D

The good olde days before all the rap, punk and hip-hop crap

illinoiscentral
March 14th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Dang, I don't know if I can beat Little Richard. We'll see tomorrow or Tuesday.

deeelare
March 14th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Radio - The Red Skelton Show
TV - Kukla Fran and Ollie
Music - Bill Haley and the Comets (Rock around the Clock)

--- ,DLR

R707
March 14th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Radio.............Dad and Dave............. There's a track winding back to an old abandoned shack, along the road to Gundagai........so the lyrics went.

We used to sit around at the dinner table listening to the wireless.

After dinner it was time to read the Herald and Argus spread out on the kitchen floor.

No TV in those days!!

Pete :wave:

illinoiscentral
March 14th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Ernie Pyle on the Radio. Anyone remember him?:cool:
Cheers!!!