PDA

View Full Version : Auran sites very slow

Corporal_Major
January 19th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Has anyone else found that accessing the Auran sites is painfully slow some of the time?

It seems to be slower than ever these past two weeks.

I am not talking about downloading assets as that seems to be OK speedwise but accessing the Forum-DLS-Profile etc seems to take forever some of the time.:( :( :(

caddylars
January 19th, 2009, 12:19 PM
YES!

The site is way slower than it used to be.
Takes forever just to load the page, and then a new forever to open each post.

This is by far the slowest loading Forum of them all.
Correct me if im wrong, but i believe it all started with the 09 Thing about a month ago?

So basicly, it haunts us all:o

Lars

bendorsey
January 19th, 2009, 12:26 PM
YES!

Started about 2 weeks ago as you said. Getting to my profile to upload items has become a major pain-in-the-drain. Took 16 minutes to get to the place where I click on the "submit" button to upload an item. The actual upload process seems normal but navigating to it has become very slow. Sometimes it times out or I get a "this page not available" message. Auran is aware of it (another thread). Sunday seems the worst. I couldn't get to my profile all day yesterday. I managed to get there this morning so uploaded 23 items. Tried again a little while ago to upload 2 more and forget-about-it. Back to its poky old self. All seems to have started when TRS2009 came on line. Too many tasks on too few servers is my guess.

Ben

Kiwikid1940
January 19th, 2009, 12:28 PM
YES!!!!

I gave up trying to access the forum pages yesterday as it was pathetic the time I was having to wait. Came back this morning (6.30am NZtime) and still much, much slower than any of the other six or seven forums I subscribe to.
Mike
New Zealand

HiBaller
January 19th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Absolutely the slowest forum I am a member of. It took me SEVEN minutes to show the page for replying to a post. I was already logged in, but for some reason the Post Reply page thought I was NOT logged in and I had to go through it all over. This time it took 'only' 4 minutes to get the reply page.

This was attempted on Monday, 19 January, at 1252 (Eastern US Time) which would be a pretty dead time down in Australia but in the evening over in Europe.

For me, this has been going on for almost a month.

EDIT: Note the time difference of 1252 MY time to the 12:59 time shown on the post. The bulk of the time was responding to the Post button.

Bill

bendorsey
January 19th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I just tried getting to the upload section again. Lo and behold I was successfull. Wasn't fast (8 minutes) but I got there. Uploaded one item - was uploading the second and it timed out (or whatever it means when you get the "this page not available" message). Now I can't get back in to check and see if the second upload is really there or not (probably not). This is getting old.

Ben

steamboateng
January 19th, 2009, 01:43 PM
All Auran sites have been a frustrating wait.
Even CMP is slow to xfer data, thumbnails, check dependencies & etc.
Downloads the same (for me) 4kps.

BStyles
January 19th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I think CMP just gave up on me, because it refuses to validate my username/password and serial number. I haven't been able to download in weeks.

bendorsey
January 19th, 2009, 01:50 PM
It just happened again. I got to the "submit" button but After 2 minutes I got the infamous (or is it dreaded, lol) "this page not available" message and can't get back in.

Ben

Euphod
January 19th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Hmmm, yeah 13 seconds to load the reply form, on the NET...it's a lifetime!

OMG_internet
January 19th, 2009, 02:20 PM
So it isnt just me!

It is becoming a complete pain, but i just go and do other things whilst it loads now.

Dan

bendorsey
January 19th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I just tried again and not only did it bomb out trying to get to the submit button - it did it again when submitting the first attempt at this reply.

Auran sez content creators are one of its greatest assets but it would be hard to prove of late with the way the process has been running. I can see where downloading paid-for content should be first priority but uploading FREE content should be second. At the moment it seems to be last.

Ben

jrfolco
January 19th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I've been having the same problem for the last two weeks. Maybe Service Pack 2 will correct this.

ocala
January 19th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Trainz website also very slow loading in Florida USA.

Corporal_Major
January 19th, 2009, 03:41 PM
All now so slow I will try again tomorrow.

11 minutes to load forum at 2030hrs GMT

All other sites and forums instant loading so please check the servers Auran!!!

Thank's

Ron

Steveo241
January 19th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I've been having the same problem for the last two weeks. Maybe Service Pack 2 will correct this.

Don't service packs only change things in the game? (2 Minutes to load this page)

American_Connections
January 19th, 2009, 03:57 PM
If it does open, there is very little contained on it anymore! All my assets are gone! And what I have downloaded, half will not open in game. Is it just me or has this happened to others too?

fuzzies
January 19th, 2009, 04:17 PM
ET Phone home...

Oops wrong forum, though maybe a lot of the traffic is 09 phoning home through some of the same portals. If so I'm semi-guilty as charged.

We need to turbo charge 2009 :)

Regards,
Lenny

ex-railwayman
January 19th, 2009, 04:52 PM
All now so slow I will try again tomorrow.

11 minutes to load forum at 2030hrs GMT

All other sites and forums instant loading so please check the servers Auran!!!

Thank's

Ron

Ron, didn't Lionel tell the community a couple of weeks ago that they were jiggling about with the servers at Auran, something to do with the downloading of TS2009 for the world community, however, I agree 100% that this weekend has been the worst EVER for downloading and viewing the forums, I had to post my screenies very late last night as it was the only time I could get the damn things on without being timed out......:hehe:
I certainly hope things improve soon.

Cheerz. ex.

seeseeme
January 19th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Has anyone else found that accessing the Auran sites is painfully slow some of the time?

It seems to be slower than ever these past two weeks.

I am not talking about downloading assets as that seems to be OK speedwise but accessing the Forum-DLS-Profile etc seems to take forever some of the time.:( :( :(
I wondered which post to pick for a quote and I picked this one :hehe:

There was a similar thread about this at least a month ago, so this problem has been around for a little while. I am only guessing but about 2 months ago the forum did become slower.

I have not had the time delays that people mention here and I have no clue as why I am different to others. Since the last thread about this and some of the possible reason to why, I have been looking at the number of people on the forum each time I log on. To me, and I may be wrong, the forum is slowest when there are more people logged on. Of a morning Aussie time around 100 people are logged on and this is the slowest, when the number goes down to 50-70 people the forum speeds up. At the moment there are 94 people logged on and thus the forum is slower then other sites.

Craig
:):):)

david32
January 19th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I mainly stopped looking at the forums because of the amount of time I spend loading a page, it take me less time to write a message than it does for this to load. The good old days of 2004 when this site used to be fast, but on a bad note I didn't have a serial number for my copy of TRS2004 which I brought at NRM, good days. the content manager is a screw up as well in my opinion.

Corporal_Major
January 19th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I wondered which post to pick for a quote and I picked this one :hehe:

There was a similar thread about this at least a month ago, so this problem has been around for a little while. I am only guessing but about 2 months ago the forum did become slower.

I have not had the time delays that people mention here and I have no clue as why I am different to others. Since the last thread about this and some of the possible reason to why, I have been looking at the number of people on the forum each time I log on. To me, and I may be wrong, the forum is slowest when there are more people logged on. Of a morning Aussie time around 100 people are logged on and this is the slowest, when the number goes down to 50-70 people the forum speeds up. At the moment there are 94 people logged on and thus the forum is slower then other sites.

Craig

Hi Craig

Well that should not make it that slow I have just been on thr "Rugby League Fans" Forum (my other hobby) and that has 245 online and is lightning fast so it must be a servers or bandwidth problem that affects Auran.

As I said it is not the DLS itself that is slow once you can actually reach it download speeds are ok although moving from page to page is snail-like.

But all the logins /forums/profiles etc are at snails -pace compared with all other sites I visit.

Ron:wave:

ct_krogen
January 19th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I think CMP just gave up on me, because it refuses to validate my username/password and serial number. I haven't been able to download in weeks.

mmm i was d/ling all weekend long......

seeseeme
January 19th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Hi Craig

Well that should not make it that slow I have just been on thr "Rugby League Fans" Forum (my other hobby) and that has 245 online and is lightning fast so it must be a servers or bandwidth problem that affects Auran.

As I said it is not the DLS itself that is slow once you can actually reach it download speeds are ok although moving from page to page is snail-like.

But all the logins /forums/profiles etc are at snails -pace compared with all other sites I visit.

Ron:wave:
Ron, there are now 114 people on the forum and it is faster to load threads etc, then when I posted my first post.

So that idea/reason for the forum to be slower has been shot down in flames :hehe:

Back to the drawing board :hehe:

Craig

ct_krogen
January 19th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I mainly stopped looking at the forums because of the amount of time I spend loading a page, it take me less time to write a message than it does for this to load. The good old days of 2004 when this site used to be fast, but on a bad note I didn't have a serial number for my copy of TRS2004 which I brought at NRM, good days. the content manager is a screw up as well in my opinion.

the fourms where slow sat , but there now all right , could havce been
some problems with the net

yungmoneyonpoint
January 19th, 2009, 07:19 PM
yea man i agree with you,

12 min to load the dls
??

Johnk
January 20th, 2009, 05:11 AM
This problem has been going on for months. There is a group of forum users (me included) who believe that the excessive over-use of graphics in both the signatures and popular screenshots section is the problem. We've tried to stir up the moderators, but as far as signatures are concerned our requests have fallen on death ears.

The signature issue is of prime concern because these get loaded every time a person visits a thread. Take this thread for example. It's been viewed over 300 times so far and that means caddylar's signature (second post in thread) which is five times larger than that allowed under Auran's Code of Conduct, has also been loaded over 300 times. That ads up to a massive 150 megabytes of bandwidth wasted just because of one signature alone. Unfortunately caddylar is not alone. There are dozens, maybe hundreds of oversize signatures out there and it all adds up.

Then take the screenshots. Most of these are massive both in physical dimensions and file size. It is rare to find a screenshot optimised for the Internet. Some are 300 dpi whilst others are uncompressed jpegs 200kb or more.

So think about this, although the forums themselves are slow, what really makes them slow is the way signatures and screenshots are handled. Say you visit a thread with 10 signatures. Before the thread even opens, the forum server sends you off to ten different photo storage web sites like Flicker or Fotobucket to collect the signatures. If any one of these sites is slow (and they usually are) the thread takes forever to download. If the server keeps the pics in its cache, that makes things worse. Then the forum server has to deal with the massive bandwidth issue.

Whether that's the entire problem with the slow forum I'm not sure, but it's certainly got a lot to do with it and for this reason, I believe graphic signatures should be banned, especially if the have nothing to do with Trainz.

Winterpaw
January 20th, 2009, 05:26 AM
This problem has been going on for months. There is a group of forum users (me included) who believe that the excessive over-use of graphics in both the signatures and popular screenshots section is the problem. We've tried to stir up the moderators, but as far as signatures are concerned our requests have fallen on death ears.

this forum is slow even on a text-based browser

weevil
January 20th, 2009, 07:05 AM
. . .caddylar's signature (second post in thread) which is five times larger than that allowed under Auran's Code of Conduct, has also been loaded over 300 times. That ads up to a massive 150 megabytes of bandwidth. . .

I thought you were surely in error here until I checked. . .
chuffing heck! - Half a meg for a signature banner is taking the whatsit.

It's not just the forums that suffer though. Unfortunately the DS is also a victim. Some of the thumbnail previews on content have overblown file sizes too. What worries me is, if a creator doesn't have the sense to compress the preview thumbnail properly, what are the chances they have been through their model and culled backfaces, unnecessary polys and given some good hard thought to texture sizes?? I suspect, zero.

Stuart

Johnk
January 20th, 2009, 08:23 AM
this forum is slow even on a text-based browser

A text-based browser doesn't really help in a situation like this. It's the combined demand of all visitors that determines the speed of the server. You're doing the right thing but you still suffer with the rest of us.

Johnk
January 20th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Hey Weevil, you're right - I did make a mistake and a big one at that!

caddylar's signature is not five times over the legal size at all.

It's 185 times over the legal size!

It goes down in my book as the largest sig file I've ever seen, even when people made them 2,000 pixels wide in the old days.

Winterpaw
January 20th, 2009, 08:50 AM
A text-based browser doesn't really help in a situation like this. It's the combined demand of all visitors that determines the speed of the server. You're doing the right thing but you still suffer with the rest of us.

that was the point of the post i quoted, which was implying the images were slowing it down

caddylars
January 20th, 2009, 11:36 AM
It's been viewed over 300 times so far and that means caddylar's signature (second post in thread) which is five times larger than that allowed under Auran's Code of Conduct, has also been loaded over 300 times. That ads up to a massive 150 megabytes of bandwidth wasted just because of one signature alone. Unfortunately caddylar is not alone.

Thank you John, for pointing that out for me.

I have now done my part, and removed most of my signature.

Lars

JCitron
January 20th, 2009, 01:09 PM
I noticed the problem a few weeks ago and notified the helpdesk. I received a reply back from Alan stating that he'd have Michael take a look at it. Perhaps it's time for a little fresh brains of the servers. A reboot once in awhile for the UBB forum servers is a good idea because the software gets slow after being up and running for awhile.

John

gfisher
January 20th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I have now done my part, and removed most of my signature.

It is running smoothly and quickly today. I guess it was all caddylars' fault after all. ;)

Corporal_Major
January 20th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Well I'm afraid it is not running quickly now at 2045hrs GMT here in the UK

pinkiepienter
January 20th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I use and check the forum on a daily basis and cannot complain about speed or hickups....
I live in thailand use a wireless adsl modem so cannot complain more than the modem can carry.
Although since early December 2008 CM2 and CMp at the same time start troubling me and ever since downloading is more than a pain not to say impossible at all. I run them on a laptop with XP and a desktop vista 64k, 2006, 2009 and 2006 cmp is affected as well so its not just 2009 also on XP!
Still overall I am happy with the outlook and capabilities of Trainz and very patient.:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep: i do the things i have to do,lots of it to keep busy and wait for better times.
The only reliable dls most of the time is FTP dls painstaking one at a time.

Alltogether I think Auran has to tune things on the servers and of course the bandwith is I think the main course of all the evil ever since.
What's your take on my thought?
have a nice trainz day

Roy

yungmoneyonpoint
January 20th, 2009, 04:23 PM
YES

it runs really slow these days, as if my cable internet was running like dialup :D

Snec
January 21st, 2009, 04:37 AM
It has been slow for me too but today the speed is okay.

bendorsey
January 21st, 2009, 11:21 AM
Three days in a row I've noticed the same thing. At 8 AM (east coast US) I can zip thru the upload process. By noon its slowed to the point of being borderline unusuable.

A clue perhaps?

Ben

JCitron
January 21st, 2009, 12:30 PM
Three days in a row I've noticed the same thing. At 8 AM (east coast US) I can zip thru the upload process. By noon its slowed to the point of being borderline unusuable.

A clue perhaps?

Ben

This sounds like a bandwidth issue where the server and the network connection is overloaded with too much traffic. Auran might have to upgrade the services to fit the needs of the increased customers and traffic.

John

American_Connections
January 22nd, 2009, 03:35 PM
When I was in the Navy, I have a job to write from the back side of the stat board, so everything was backward. If ya think about this- Auran could spell nar uA = (nuttin)! :hehe:

Spiffy
January 23rd, 2009, 02:14 AM
Hi Everyone, I have made a post here: http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?p=392998#post392998

we are looking into the entire web system at the moment to improve everyones experience, over the next few weeks you should notice some improvements.

bendorsey
January 23rd, 2009, 08:01 AM
Thank ya kindly Spiffy.

Ben

Corporal_Major
January 25th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Yes Thank's Spiffy but it is at a real crawl again this afternoon.

I think I should write a song entitled "Crawling along on an Auran Afternoon"!!!

Johnk
January 26th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I think that doing away with your huge signature graphic would be an immediate start Spiffy. These forums are full of bandwidth burning signatures that really say and mean nothing.

transitguard
January 26th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Ouch:eek:. Could you be a little nicer? Friendly even? That was just cold...:n:

Something like "Could you please reduce the size of your signature. It is oversize according to the CoC." would have been much better.

On that topic: would it be possible to make the signature area so that you couldn't post a large signature pic? Make it kick out pictures that are over the size limit?

American_Connections
January 26th, 2009, 09:27 AM
...Make it kick out pictures that are over the size limit?Ha Ha, Kickin a mod! That'll be the day! Remember what your father said when you see him do wrong- "Do as I say, not as I do". I think John has every right in what he said! And gettin the Kuid dependencies numbers right would be another good start,, not mixin them togeather then throw blame at the creator for something they did not do!

Liam125
January 27th, 2009, 06:22 PM
You're right there!

Planet Auran is getting me worked up the most. Just a teeny window that takes 2 minutes to fully load is annoying when you have uploads to approve. Also the DLS.