PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know the name of the horn in this video?

gisa
January 15th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Hi All,

I came across an awesome sounding horn on youtube today:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=u4xzTyYcsrE

Does anyone know what kind of horn it is and if so, if one like this is on the DLS? Even though I've had trainz for a long time, I can't seem to recall hearing this exact horn in trainz, mind you it could be right under my nose...

:wave:

Gisa ^^

jadebullet
January 15th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I love that horn, too. I don't know what it is called, but I have heard it before on the NS trains that run past my college.

Speak of the devil, there is one going past right now. (different horn though)

ex-railwayman
January 15th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Hello Gisa,

What's the loco a Dash 9 ???

Have a look on the DLS and 3rd party sites to see what horns are issued with these locomotives, it must be somewhere. My knowledge of horns across the pond only stretches as far as Leslies and Nathans I'm afraid. Have you been on the USLW website, they have some cracking hornsounds on there.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

cathouse
January 15th, 2009, 07:52 AM
If that's not a good reason to have doppler effect in Trainz I don't know what is:D

Roy

gisa
February 5th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Bump!

Still trying to find out what horn it is...

Gisa ^^

cascaderailroad
February 5th, 2009, 08:02 AM
My GF lives hundereds of yards from a grade crossing on the CSX Phila-Balt mainline. I have often thought of making a high quality train sound effects recording, as the ambiance there is great, right at the window sill when drinking my morning cup of coffee ! I have heard all kinds, including that one. I know a guy from michigan that makes high quality train sound effects CD's (bigtrainsounds). Wind is his worst enemy ! I have been trying to get him to wrap a piece of foam around, and duct tape a small (dispencable) recorder, to an old speaker magnet, and stick it to a loco up near the dynamics. So far he has only (many) run by recordings (@20 for 60 min).:cool:

illinoiscentral
February 5th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Hey Gisa, I don't know what the name of it is, but it is on the DLS, CN ComfortCab Horn, this is the standard horn on most of CN's newer locomotives, I used to hear them all the time on the Canadian National Illinois Central mainline in Tuscola Illinois. If I find a link I'll post it.

Illinois Central

danstrainz
February 5th, 2009, 10:33 PM
That would be a Nathan K5HL.

gisa
February 5th, 2009, 10:40 PM
TY guys for the input.

@ Illinois Central: do you know the KUID of the horn you suggested?

@ Danstrainz: do you by chance know if this horn exists in Trainz and where to find it?

Gisa ^^

danstrainz
February 5th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I know it exist. You can also search K5LLA its the same horn just a different manifold.

February 5th, 2009, 10:46 PM
The K5HL & K5LLA sound nothing alike... Sorry... I will have a K5HL on USLW by Monday morning if you can wait that long.

Steve

gisa
February 5th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Hi Steve,

I'd wait a month for that horn if you can make it. :) Take your time...

I will download and try out the K5LLA for now.

A happy gisa...:D

Gisa ^^

danstrainz
February 5th, 2009, 10:51 PM
The K5HL & K5LLA sound nothing alike...

They are a few bells off from each other. That is the closest thing to having a K5HL. the K5HL is 1L 1 2 3 and 4 bells. the K5LLA is 1L 2 3 4a 5. Close enough. I guess that a horn collector doesn't know anything about horns.

illinoiscentral
February 5th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Hey Gisa, its me again, I'll try to find it for you, it is not that great but the bell is awesome. I'm looking now.

illinoiscentral
February 5th, 2009, 11:14 PM
This might be it, Kuid2:74779:999999:1

gisa
February 6th, 2009, 12:01 AM
This might be it, Kuid2:74779:999999:1

Hi IC,

Thanks for the kuid. Actually, it's 007007's! I'm betting it's not the same as he said he'll make that actual horn by Monday so I'll wait for it.

Couldn't hurt to have this one either though so I'll try it out just for kicks!

Gisa ^^

illinoiscentral
February 6th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Okay Gisa. Its an okay horn, I don't like how once you start blowing it you get that repeat effect though. Glad I was some help and that your getting the horn you wanted, make sure you put it on your best engines!

gisa
February 6th, 2009, 12:09 AM
You mean the crossing sequence? I like that sometimes, especially when running a route. One tap and I get the perfect sequence.

I will definitely put this hornsound for all my CN stuff once that hornsound is made. :D

Gisa ^^

illinoiscentral
February 6th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Wow, I guess I gave you the wrong horn! This other one has that effect where when you blow it you get that sound recording repeat.

jadebullet
February 6th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I have to agree with IllinoisCentral on this one. I don't like it very much when I download a locomotive, and the hornsound is set up to do a Long-long-short-long(grade crossing) every time. The reason that I have a problem is that it messes things up when you are trying to do other types of horn signals, such as very long(station).

February 6th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Yeah, that was the first hornsound I ever made. It is really bad...

@danstrainz: I'm not saying that they aren't configured close to the same. I am saying they sound differently. What would I know, I've only had the two pounded into my head for 12 hours at a crack... :o

gisa
February 6th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I agree Jadebullet, the ultimate solution would be to press h and then a number key and then by pressing h, you'd get the sound you want. Several preset horn sounds would be cool. 1 could be a crossing, 2 could be a station, 3 could be freelance...

Even easier would be perhaps to have an alternate key for a crossing horn and leaving the H to be held as long as desired. I like how some other locomotive designers let you open window or doors with the pantograph key. I think being able to do more things with different keys, would be a neat feature in the next version of trainz.

Take your time making the horn Steve. I'll be happy to use it when it's ready!

Gisa ^^

illinoiscentral
February 6th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Gisa, that is great idea! I would like that. I too like it when you can operate windows and doors. Phil_C's Illinois Central SD70 has that feature. You seem to be a CN fan. I'm all for the IC, of course I've said it once I'll say it agin Hunter Harrison ran that company into the ground, before that old Johnson didn't do much to help either.

Long Live The Illinois Central

jadebullet
February 6th, 2009, 01:08 AM
You know what hornsound I would love to have on the locomotives that I run. A K5HR24 that sounds like the one in this video. I have the one off of RRmods, but it doesn't sound as haunting as this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaFAs7TUPo4

gisa
February 6th, 2009, 01:19 AM
@ IC - Yeah, I guess I like CN, CP, VIA Rail and GO stuff (seeing as I'm Canadian from the Toronto area) but I like many railroads paintschemes and styles. I think BN, SOO line, MRL and UP have some nice paintschemes as well as many other railroads (don't ask how many North American locomotive.

Mergers, buyouts...for better or worse they happen. At least we can model and paint the schemes of these railroads nowadays in games like this and remember them.

@ Jadebullet - that is one sick, eerie sounding horn!

Gisa ^^

illinoiscentral
February 6th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Nice video Jade! I love that SD60! @Gisa it must be cool living in Toronto with all that rail traffic!

gisa
February 6th, 2009, 05:15 AM
I don't live there now though and a few things have changed since 5 years ago. I go back to visit every few years but it's expensive and we're trying to save up money for when we move back there permanently (my wife and I).

On another side note, I did find a K5HL horn but it sounded...different somehow than the one's in the video. Maybe it was brand new, or worn out a bit...would still love to hear one from Steve. ^^

Gisa ^^

February 8th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Sorry guys,

I just now got home from my girlfriends. Went up and stayed by her at her college this weekend. I need to get to sleep since I should be getting called to go to work around midnight.

I will be back Tuesday and you can look for it then.

Have a good night,

Steve

gisa
February 8th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Hi Steve,

Take your time and don't worry about it. ^^ Been in your shoes so I know exactly how you feel. When you are ready and have the time, give the hornsound a go. Until then, be safe, rest up and take it easy.

Gisa ^^

illinoiscentral
February 9th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Hey Gisa, your post says Canada/South Korea do you have a vacation home there? Kind of a stupid question, but what kind of trains are they running over there? Electric diesel, heck maybe steam? I'm 15 so I love to learn about new places, PM me or just post right here.

AJ_Fox
February 9th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Just a wild guess here but it could be a Nathan K5LA. Listen to the one below. If that's it I can give you the KUID number.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjsOHyaHTbw

Cheers

AJ

gisa
February 9th, 2009, 06:10 AM
@ AJ - the horn sounds close, but it's not the same. My hearing isn't what it used to be, but the hornsound I posted in the youtube link sounds a bit higher and slightly different somehow. Nice video BTW! :D

I have the utmost faith in 007007 and I'm sure when he's ready, he'll manage to capture a hornsound that sounds exactly like in the video.

@ IC - I will PM you so I don't clutter this thread anymore than it needs to be.

Gisa ^^

illinoiscentral
February 9th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Ooh, AJ, whoever did that horn blowing is in trouble with the FRA! Remember always hold the horn like this, hhh hhh h hhhhhh, till the train occupies the crossing! lol.

Mouse84
February 9th, 2009, 10:19 AM
The FRA rules on blowing the horn for a crossing has changed in the past few years.

jadebullet
February 9th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Long Long Short Long is the standard for crossing signaling, but it isn't a strict rule. Heck I have even heard an engineer play jingle bells with his loco as he was approaching a crossing. As long as the engineer gives some kind of warning at an appropriate distance from a crossing, it is fine. (With the exception of quiet zones where you are not allowed to whistle at all.)

Mouse84
February 9th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Long Long Short Long is the standard for crossing signaling, but it isn't a strict rule. Heck I have even heard an engineer play jingle bells with his loco as he was approaching a crossing. As long as the engineer gives some kind of warning at an appropriate distance from a crossing, it is fine. (With the exception of quiet zones where you are not allowed to whistle at all.)

You might have a hard time convincing the engineer, who had a car run around the gates at a crossing, of that. They downloaded the event recorder and found that he was not in 100% compliance of the FRA rules with his horn blowing. He is now out of service waiting to be terminated. He is also subject to a huge fine and subject to civil litigation. The car was clearly at fault, but he did not follow the rules 100% and is now liable. Just giving some kind of warning is NOT fine, just ask this poor guy and his family.

jadebullet
February 9th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Yeah, it is unfortunately one of those rules that isn't really enforced until something goes wrong. As an engineer it is a good idea to follow procedure, even if isn't enforced.

By the way, it is total crap that the engineer is getting prosecuted. It is such a shame, especially because the guy not only went around the gates, but also stopped on the tracks according to eyewitnesses.

By the way, do you live in the area mouse?

illinoiscentral
February 10th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Mouse is right Jade, they do look at those recorders and will find any fault they can. Never blow the horn incorrectly!

February 10th, 2009, 05:02 PM
http://www.uslw.net/downloads.php?action=view&id=291

Could be better but I tried...

Have fun,

Steve

gisa
February 11th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Hi Steve,

Thanks very much for the hornsound. It sounds great! Now to swap them in...

Thanks again!

Gisa ^^

Mouse84
February 11th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Due to a lack of respect and complete overpopulation of begging noobs

I think your signature is quite humorous.

Actually they are called newbies, which you and I and everyone has been at one time or another. I guess in your way of thinking, you shouldn't be allowed in the forums unless you're a veteran. If the newbies can't come here and ask questions and get help, the community would quickly die. Some people might have the pleasure of becoming experts, within minutes of loading a new piece of software, but most of us aren't. You forget the fact that a newbie, who asks questions and learns from those answers, might just learn how to create some pretty good content and give back to the community. The fact that there is an "overpopulation" as you put it, is actually quite good, it shows that the community is growing.

"Due to a lack of respect" - That phrase from you gives me a pretty good chuckle. Your little group sits over there, bashing newbies, bashing Auran, bashing the Auran forum and everyone who posts over here and basically bashing everyone that's not in your little group. When a newbie asks a simple question, instead of giving them the simple answer, all they get is RTFM. Well, the manual is 165 pages and it's not always easy to find what you need. When I would try to answer a question, my post would be removed. We can't forget the editing of people's posts to fit your own needs. I don't see where you find the lack of respect of this forum, sure, there are a few that come here with some attitude, but that is usually out of frustration. Then you have a few that just come to stir things up and cause trouble, but if you ignore them, they usually stop.

jadebullet
February 11th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I hate to correct you Mouse, but you miss understand something about the n00b comment. There is nothing wrong with newbies, they are new to trainz and really want to learn. They are normally civil, and when they mess up a bit, the veterans normally help them. New users are great, they help keep the hobby alive, and add new things to the mix that help make the game more fun.

A n00b on the other hand, is someone who comes to the forum, acts disrespectful, doesn't listen to suggestions when they screw up and make the same mistakes over and over again. They are basically forum newbies who don't want to be anything other than a newbie. One of the very worse things that they do is come on here and start to speak what they believe is english, when in fact it is nothing close to readable. A good example of this is the one user who came on here speaking in text speak. He posted in seveal threads. Almost immediatly, a couple of users asked him to please stop using text speak and start using english. He said that it was english which the users responded by pointing out that it wasn't english but text speak. Because of this, the users were called racist because the n00b in question was black.(I am still not sure what the politically correct term is so sorry if there is any offense.) Thankfully, after this user started to insult a moderator, and if I remember correctly, threatening to kill and rape her(I remember one user doing this, and I am almost positive that it was the same person) he was banned.

Basically they have no respect for anyone, not even people who have a bit more experience who can help them become better at trainz, and, in my opinon, they should be given the same respect that they give others.

Also, a noob will alot of time, constantly ask when a piece of content is going to be released no matter what stage of development it is in, or even when the creator himself(herself) has stated when it is coming out, or even saying that they don't know when it is coming out.

Another problem is when n00bs quote an entire string of pictures to ask a question about one of the pictures, no matter how many times you ask them to stop. Everyone has done this when they first start out, but some users refuse to listen to requests to stop this. It puts alot of strain on the bandwidth, making the page load slower, and it is very annoying scrolling through some good looking pictures, and then the very next post has one of these users that has been told about 50 times, quoting the entire post above theirs, pictures in all.

Mouse84
February 11th, 2009, 12:11 PM
No, there is no misunderstanding on noobs. A perfect example, a new person comers to that forum, asks a very simple question, a very typical newbie question. it's only his 3rd post in the forum, the others were civil also, and from one of the members he gets a "read the manual" and then the little leader over there, decides he needs to throw in some profanity at the "noob". This was the typical response to a newbie's question and when I would try to answer the question, my post would be removed and I would more or less be told to shut up.