PDA

View Full Version : Running Paint Shop

eastauburndepot
January 12th, 2009, 10:54 PM
After numerous installs complete with unistalling my antivirus software and shutting off windows firewall, I still cannot get Paint shop to run in TRS2006.

I'm following the instructions in the manual and trying to paint the Alco sample. I always get an error:

Runtime error '339'
COMDLG32.OCX not correctly registered, file missing or invalid

Is Paint Shop still a part of Trainz?

illinoiscentral
January 12th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I've had a simalar problem, but mine won't even work at all! It go's to the menu but you can't push any buttons and then it won't let you shut it off!

PerRock
January 12th, 2009, 11:14 PM
paint shop hasn't been updated since UTC and ever since 06 seems to be very buggy. My advise is to learn to reskin outside of the PS confines. Not only will your reskins (generally) look better but it is a great way place to start content creating outside of the trainz program its self (that and most users who have been arround the block tend to dislike PS).

peter

eastauburndepot
January 12th, 2009, 11:24 PM
"My advise is to learn to reskin outside of the PS confines."

I'm a brand new user - what does this mean?

Iced8383
January 12th, 2009, 11:41 PM
"My advise is to learn to reskin outside of the PS confines."

I'm a brand new user - what does this mean?

There is Photoshop...

bchester
January 13th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Hello eastauburndepot,

Paint Shop is a "simple" reskinning tool - Reskinning is the process of adding a new colour design to a locomotive or other rolling stock.

Paint shop, while simple is very limited and only allows a very small selection of rollingstock / locomotives to be skinned. In addition, the types of colouring allowed are restricted to specific templates thuse limiting how you can make the item look.

Having said that, there is a lot of content on the DLS and included in the game that requires Paint Shop to be set up and working properly or they will not work. You may find, as you look through the rollingstock content that some will not appear on your layouts.

In order to skin items not included with Paint Shop, you will require a different editing package such as Paint Shop Pro by Corel, Photoshop, The Gimp (freeware), or just about any other paint program that support layers and saving "uncompressed" tga format.

For more info on skinning use the forum search tool and look for "Reskin". You will find a large amount of info available.

As for the problem with unregistered OCX file, did you install this on Vista? If so, search the forum for Vista and you will likely find the answer somewhere. Vista usually requires the use of an adminstrator account to install Trainz properly. You may have to completely remove trainz, repair the windows registry then re-install as administrator. If you are using XP then I am at a loss unless you had something else running in the background which had a lock on that file perhaps. Again, Search for installing and you will find a lot of information.

Brian