PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying TRS2009 . . .

weevil
January 8th, 2009, 04:02 AM
It's my birthday Saturday, and a nice present to myself might be a copy of TRS2009.

I need some help to decide if I should buy TRS2009. If you're going to help me decide, you need to know what I do with Trainz.

I like to create large DEM based routes.

I like to modify and tweak enginespecs and physics parameters for closer realism (and so use the Content manager quite a lot).

I'm frequently frustrated by CMP in TRS2006, locking up, not downloading, not updating, updating at the wrong moment, corrupting the assets database and so on.

I'm looking for as realistic a driving experience as possible.

I am very wary of buying. I have supported Auran and Trainz as a customer since the very beginning, buying every single version up to and including TRS2006.

I was also the principal creator of the Tidewater route as included in TRS2004.

I feel that Auran have let me down with recent releases, with little or no attention to the physics and simulation side of things.

Please consider this history before asking what I expect for $30. I have contributed significantly more than this sum to Auran's coffers, including several tens of hours of my free time.

Please let's have some considered opinions here. Should I buy it or not?

Stuart

AJ_Fox
January 8th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Hello weevil and Happy Birthday

I've always thought that quality and performance of a game were mostly subjective because of all the variables in play such as computing power, graphic cards, RAM, experience and so forth.

But hey it's your b'day. Splurge yourself. : )

Cheers

AJ

ex-railwayman
January 8th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Ciao weevil and happy birthday for Saturday, young man.......:hehe:

Before everyone pops up on here with their recommendations and pros and cons of getting TS2009, don't forget, that there is another option open to you if you have any doubts about TS2009, and that is to obtain TRS2007, which in essence is TRS2006, but you can get the European versions from Italy, Germany, France, etc, etc, and as you live in mainland Europe it would be fairly easy to obtain I would have thought and costs about the same as TS2009. I purchased the German version and never regretted it, it's CMP works superbly well and I have virtually everything I require, although being European I enjoy all railway franchises from the continent, but, you can still download American, Canadian, and other countries stuff, and Auran still gets your money.....Just an idea, and to bang the gong for the TRS2007 users.....:p

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Driver_Col
January 8th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I also create routes and like to tweak locos ........ and recently purchased TRS2009. My suggestion to you is do not buy TRS2009 just yet.

I found TC3 a huge improvement on TRS2006.

TRS2009 no doubt has huge potential but we are all going to have to wait for some patches before it can be realised. As at today, I cannot create a layout unless I make it void of trees as TRS2009 can only produce good looking trees when in "backwards compatible" mode ..... and then it uses more pc resources than TC3 (hence I am staying in TC3 for the immediate future).

All the best. Colin.

billybee
January 8th, 2009, 06:35 AM
I recently purchased this latest version and while graphics are good I find that sometimes game locks. Perhaps Auran should be issuing a patch to prevent this.:( http://forums.auran.com/trainz/images/smilies/afrown.gif

Vern
January 8th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I'm returning to TRS after failing to make much headway with another route project in KRS. Although I've purchased and installed TS2009 I have to say I'm probably going to stick with TRS2006 as regards development, at least for the time being. I know TS2009 has some new features and high detail track but I see there are still issues with CMP2 and frankly TRS2006 Build 3337, apart from the occasional error message in Spanish, is about the best most stable working version of Trainz available.

markbin
January 8th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I would wait a bit with TRS2009 .
I am happy with TRS2006 SP1 , and have no problems with the CMP.
To be able to enjoy the steamlocosound, i use TRS2004 SP 4 for that.

Euphod
January 8th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I wouldn't bother with 2009 just yet Stuart; it's not likely to thrill you.

philskene
January 8th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I was a hard core TRS2004 supporter.

Then I tried TC3 and was impressed by the improvements over TRS2006.

Inspired by this I moved on to TRS2009. I think this is the best version yet. Frame rates are just so much better in '09 than '04 (even in compatibility mode), all my '04 routes and rolling stock run in it, the graphics are better and CM2 is a significant improvement over CMP that came with '06.

And, hey, it's not all that expensive. In fact its an absolute bargain compared to say KRS.

Phil

Edit -- I've just tried a session on the TRS2009 version of "IndustRail" with AI traffic. I have a dual core 2.40GHz processor and SP1 puts the AI on the second core. I am impressed - it's very smooth even with a large number of high-poly long-length consists (none of the jerking that I experienced with low-poly short consists in TRS2004). It's stunning. For me this alone makes the switch to '09 worthwhile.

narrowgauge
January 8th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Weevil

You will notice that most of the posts in this thread advise you not to go to 2009, take no notice, they are only jealous of those who have installed TS2009 and patched to SP1 and are enjoying it so much they have no time to post here.

I was a steadfast 2004 user but I have left that old love to move to my new love 2009. Try it, the ungreased wheels will always squeak, every one has a bias, the only sure way is to try it for yourself.

Peter

weevil
January 9th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Well as Peter so rightly says, I decided the only way to know for sure was to try it out.
Not the greatest of birthday presents overall but at least now I know. I have put my impressions in "print" here (http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=35981).

Stuart