PDA

View Full Version : More 2006 question. Which routes aren't demos?

MeshGearFox
December 30th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I've been playing around with the included routes, and so far, I'm aware that that Modula City and Dresden-Nuernberg are demos for routes that I'd have to pay additional money to get the full versions of. I'm also under the impression that Marias Pass, Maglev Project, and Wadabavale lines are also demo routes. And the Razorback Railway scenarios point me towards some subscription service.

I'm getting the impression that there aren't very many full version routes included. Can someone explain this to me?

paulzmay
December 30th, 2008, 08:30 PM
To the best of my knowledge, Maglev & Wadabavale are complete, but Hawes Junction is a section of the Settle and Carlisle Route included in TC3.

Personally, I still think even the 'Demo' routes included in TRS06 are a great deal better than anything previously packaged with a Trainz release, though I thought the Modula City Demo was perhaps a little bit too small (and as for locking the content :o ). Personally I'd chose the Dresden-Nurenburg Segment and Hawes Junction over the Maglev route any day, so I'm not quite sure what the problem is...

Paul

MeshGearFox
December 31st, 2008, 01:43 AM
I just don't like getting demoware when I'm under the impression that I'm buying the full version of a product is all.

john259
December 31st, 2008, 02:27 AM
The Razorback layout included as a built-in item in TRS2006 is complete but buggy. A patch to correct it can be downloaded free of charge from our web site but it's quite a big file. To get the patch you'll need to register with us but that's free. On our registration form just leave the payment and PayPal fields blank.

Registration also gives you access to our asset management utilities (Argus for TRS2006), our rolling stock asset packs, our forum and a limited range of our activities. To obtain the bulk of our activities an annual subscription payment is required.

All the details of what to do to run our activities are explained in the "Getting Started" section of our FAQ.

Hope this explains the situation with regard to RBR.

John

ex-railwayman
December 31st, 2008, 05:05 AM
I've been playing around with the included routes, and so far, I'm aware that that Modula City and Dresden-Nuernberg are demos for routes that I'd have to pay additional money to get the full versions of. I'm also under the impression that Marias Pass, Maglev Project, and Wadabavale lines are also demo routes. And the Razorback Railway scenarios point me towards some subscription service.

I'm getting the impression that there aren't very many full version routes included. Can someone explain this to me?

Errrrr, no, sorry.....I'm not sure anyone apart from the management at Auran can explain why they included so many demo routes in TRS2004, 06, 07 and TS2009. It's possibly a financial incentive agreement done between Auran and various route creators to promote their specific work, and obviously, with the high quality of the effort achieved by Blue Sky Interactive and Roger Cabo, et al, I assume that people who have bought various versions of Trainz have gone on to purchase other Payware stuff from these creators.....I did, and never regretted it.
I understand your thoughts, but, I think that as you now have a basic of the game, you can use it as a starter to download stacks of stuff from the DLS, create your own routes/assets for personal use, or possibly upload them back to the DLS for the rest of us to play with, which is what Auran wants you to do really.....

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Liam125
December 31st, 2008, 08:30 AM
Maglev Project, Wadalbavale Line, Razorback Classic, Rosworth Vale, Hawes Junction and Robe River Iron are all full versions. Hawes Junction is an incomplete version of the Settle to Carlisle route. But there are plenty of free full versions you can download. If you like UK/Ireland routes, I can suggest you get Harcourt's routes, including his Yorkshire Plains route. It's big and has a variety of high speed lines and slow lines.

Mike10
December 31st, 2008, 09:53 AM
Hawes Junction may only be a part of the Settle-Carlisle line, but it is the full version of the Hawes branch ;)

If you forget that the Settle-Carlisle line is available for a moment, is the Hawes Junction route any less valid as a stand-alone route? There's a fair run of track and several sessions for it. Plus the rolling stock and other custom content that was included specificlly for the route.

Is the Hawes Junction route any less of a route because there is a bigger version of it available?

Mike.

AnalogOldguy
December 31st, 2008, 06:19 PM
Am I mistaken, but can't a person set up some trains on these routes in Surveyor and actually do some activities (load, unload coal, oil, passengers and so on) and set up some sessions with multiple trains and drivers?

My opinion is there are plenty of tracks and industries (even in the 'demo' routes to keep a person busy for a long time) Am I mistaken on this? R.P.

johnwhelan
December 31st, 2008, 06:51 PM

Are you aware there are some 3,053 layouts layouts available for free download on the download station? Technically you can download them using the 100 Mb per day or whatever the limit it or you can pay a few dollars for a First Class ticket and get unlimited downloads and higher connection speeds.

Yes there are payware layouts but there are also free ones available both here on the DLS and on other sites. One of the best, The Darjeeling Himalayan Ry, is here

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=23748&highlight=narrow+gauge

Cheerio John

JCitron
December 31st, 2008, 11:48 PM
I never thought of the demos as being anything other than a sampling of what could be done with Trainz and I used the so-called demos along with other downloaded routes to get ideas on how to make routes in Surveyor.

On the DLS there are many routes that one can download. They range from small demo sized routes to some that are many miles long. These were all created for free for everyone to enjoy and the creators deserve a lot of credit for the amount of time and effort they put in to make these routes possible.

Trainz could have been like MSTS and come with a handful of routes that are basically boring after driving over once. It took nearly 3 years to get a decent amount of content up on the web for MSTS I before it became a worthwhile program. While there is a good amount of free stuff for MSTS I the majority of the stuff is all payware that is not inexpensive by any means.

The routes available for "free" on the DLS in many cases are far more superior to some of the payware ones that are available for MSTS I.

John

nicky9499
January 1st, 2009, 05:56 AM
I just don't like getting demoware when I'm under the impression that I'm buying the full version of a product is all.

Uh, so that the box-art will be more convincing?
It says: "11 Ready-To-Drive Routes!"

At any rate, there's plenty of superior content on the DLS that's ten times better so demo or no demo, it doesn't make much of a difference.

Cheerio,
Nicholas.