PDA

View Full Version : Changing a textures direction?

Kamidan
January 1st, 1970, 10:00 AM
[You can skip down to just the question that is bolded if you don't have the patience to read my text]

When I am in Surveyor and painting the landscape, there is a radial like dial that changes the position of how the texture Im painting is layed out on the ground. This would obviously help me if I could change it enough to where a pattern isn't noticible.

When I mouse over this radial like dial, it shows me a hotkey of something like "/" or maybe it's "\". Anyway, no matter what they hotkey is supposed to be (if any) I can't get that radial dial to budge with either of those keys, but of course it works with the mouse moving the radial dial.

Now I would have sworn at one time years ago I read a tip that said to press the associated hotkey while painting your landscape and that radial dial would continuously spin around in a circle, thus you were assured to have a pretty much pattern free landscape when you painted down the main textures.

So, what hot key is it really that controls that radial dial to change the direction of how the textures are painted on the ground (I've tried both the / key and the \ as one of them is indicated to be the one in the tooltip?

Thanks,

Kamidan
November 18th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Hello? Hello? Is this thing on?

Seriously, does anybody know how to get the texture direction thing to do what I posted in the above post?

Heres a screenshot of the button Im talking about:

You can see the tooltip that show it should be the / key to operate it, but I press that and hold that key and it doesn't rotate that dial like I remember it once doing.
http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/872/texturedirectionpj5.jpg

paulzmay
November 18th, 2008, 01:29 AM
It looks like [/] means '[' or ']' to me, so you're probably trying the wrong button.

There have been suggestions that a rotated texture has the same impact on frame rates and memory usage as a new texture. You'll probably find that patching 3 or 4 textures in a random pattern can give a better look than a single texture rotated. Once you have an area you're happy with the look of (perhaps 1/4 of a board), then you can copy this around to other areas. Of course, everyone has their own pet methods, and this is just mine.

Paul

ldowns
November 19th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Paul is correct--it's the [ and ] keys that rotate textures.

--Lamont