PDA

View Full Version : 5m cutting and twin track junctions in 09

scorpio48
January 1st, 1970, 12:00 AM
I mean the screens you get when loading your route in surveyor or driver. It shows you some features and were to find them.

Though mostly I was not regestering what they say because I assumed they were the same as the info screens I got with previous version of Trainz... hehe ;)

Hi L56,

My mistake. I thought it referred to some new feature which I couldn't find.
Thanks for your prompt reply. Your second paragraph is exactly what I thought :D

Cheers
Pete.

A4_4-6-2
November 10th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Hi All,
Can someone please explain how to make a 5m cutting.I have tried everything but obviously I am missing something !!! (brain maybe)
Also using a twin track how do you make a junction.

Bill :confused::confused::confused:

moggy
November 10th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Bill,
even tho i cannot figure this out as yet, i think this question mayb be better off asked over at trainzdev site

A4_4-6-2
November 10th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Thanks Moggy,I'll try

Bill

Tony_Hilliam
November 10th, 2008, 01:50 AM
First convert you baseboard to 5m grid (extend terrain tool, r-click to choose 5M and l-click to apply). Then your tools will be working on the 5m grid.

Captain_Collins
November 10th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Hi All,
Can someone please explain how to make a 5m cutting.I have tried everything but obviously I am missing something !!! (brain maybe)
Also using a twin track how do you make a junction.

Bill :confused::confused::confused:

Junctions on double track are the same as on single track: you click on a spline point with the track you want selected and it should work.

However, I do not recommend the use of double tracks as it decreases the reliability of the AI because they are programmed to travel in the direction that the tracks were laid, so it would require the use of a lot of direction markers to get them to behave.

November 10th, 2008, 02:45 AM
However, I do not recommend the use of double tracks as it decreases the reliability of the AI because they are programmed to travel in the direction that the tracks were laid, so it would require the use of a lot of direction markers to get them to behave.

Diddn't someone prove that wrong ? Must be my imagination if not.

gfisher
November 10th, 2008, 09:18 AM
That direction business is a Trainz urban myth. A properly laid out and signalled route should run just fine. The problem with using double track though is that it cannot be straightened, which is why most people don't use it. (Unless TRS2009 fixes this.)

Captain_Collins
November 10th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Test to prove what I said above:

Lay a piece of double track.
The place a pair of direction markers, one on each track. This is the way the AI will try to go by default.

scorpio48
November 10th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Hi Guys and Gals,
Slightly confused here about double track, 09 is on order and I hope I'm not going to have trouble uploading from 06.
70% of my route (still under construction) is double track, on various test stages I have placed only a few direction markers, main junctions/switches Etc, and it runs OK, even if I try to cause confusion with the AI drivers (part of the testing).
Another point I'm worried about with the change over; is, 100% of my track is Andi06's 3.5 track and junction kits, and I have no trouble straightening track, double or otherwise.

OK, that's the history, I'd really appreciate some feedback on the following:-
I'm at a stage where starting again in 09 wouldn't present too much of a problem, I understand that GP is working on an update version of Transdem for 09, so my terrain Etc. shouldn't be effected. I can't get hold of Andi06 to ask about any plans for his creations.
Anyway.

Is the default track in 09 the only one available at present?
What would be your suggestions: Wait until I receive 09 and start again or carry on in 06 and hope for the best?Thanks in advance
Cheers
pete.

Captain_Collins
November 10th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Hi Guys and Gals,
Slightly confused here about double track, 09 is on order and I hope I'm not going to have trouble uploading from 06.
70% of my route (still under construction) is double track, on various test stages I have placed only a few direction markers, main junctions/switches Etc, and it runs OK, even if I try to cause confusion with the AI drivers (part of the testing).
Another point I'm worried about with the change over; is, 100% of my track is Andi06's 3.5 track and junction kits, and I have no trouble straightening track, double or otherwise.

OK, that's the history, I'd really appreciate some feedback on the following:-
I'm at a stage where starting again in 09 wouldn't present too much of a problem, I understand that GP is working on an update version of Transdem for 09, so my terrain Etc. shouldn't be effected. I can't get hold of Andi06 to ask about any plans for his creations.
Anyway.
Is the default track in 09 the only one available at present?
What would be your suggestions: Wait until I receive 09 and start again or carry on in 06 and hope for the best?Thanks in advance
Cheers
pete.

I would recommend a mixture of the two. I would carry on with the route until you got TS2009, and then import it and run it from there.

As for the track question, there are loads of tracks in TS2009, but 99.999% of them (Well, all but one) were defaults in or created for TRS2004/6. There is one called TS2009 example track that is at TS2009 standards.

Also, there is a feature in TS2009 to replace either all objects or selected objects with a different one, so you could replace your current track with TS2009 track if you so wished at any point in the construction of your layout.

There is also an option to switch 10M grid baseboards to 5M grid baseboards.

rjhowie
November 10th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Ah that last point answers what I was going to ask! Glad to know you will be able to swith the grid size. Admirable!

scorpio48
November 10th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Thanks C-C;

Perfectly explained. Now looking forward to 09.

Cheers
Pete.

SuperFudd
November 10th, 2008, 11:23 PM
"twin track" is allot more trouble than it is worth, in my not so humble opinion.

A4_4-6-2
November 11th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Tried that,did not work

Junctions on double track are the same as on single track: you click on a spline point with the track you want selected and it should work.

A4_4-6-2
November 11th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Thanks Tony,

Bill

First convert you baseboard to 5m grid (extend terrain tool, r-click to choose 5M and l-click to apply). Then your tools will be working on the 5m grid.

Captain_Collins
November 11th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I have just tested the 5M grid and it only applies to new baseboards.

As for the track points, I have just tried them and they work perfectly.

Which track are you attempting to connect to which track?

Yorkshire
November 11th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I too have noticed that 5m grid only seems to apply to a new baseboard. Even when I started a route the first board defaults to 10m, changing it to 5m didn't work. I had to create a second board set at 5m then delete the first board! I assumed I was doing something wrong!

Re double tracks - I always thought (and experienced) that junctions couldn't be made with them. They were only for quickly laying double tracks and you have to connect single tracks to them to create junctions. I gave up using double track and prefer parallel single track - more reliable.
Yorkshire

scorpio48
November 11th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Tried that,did not work

Snipped.

Re double tracks - I always thought (and experienced) that junctions couldn't be made with them. They were only for quickly laying double tracks and you have to connect single tracks to them to create junctions. I gave up using double track and prefer parallel single track - more reliable.
Yorkshire

Hi Guys,
As I stated earlier. 70% of my route is double track, complete with, junctions / switches / points ; or whatever you wish to call them :D .

This is how I overcome the double junction problem.
First I downloaded Andi06's junction kit, (available in a pack), also his 3.5 track gauge template (UK Standard). I ran my double track up to the junctions and (using the templates) connected them to the junctions with two very short (about 1 sleeper) single track lengths. I used the same method exiting the junction. The result was a double junction, which worked and looked very neat. It took about 5 - 8 minutes per junction.
Of course. the short cross-over track (which must be present in a double junction) isn't recognised by the normal signal set-up but there are rules available on the DS to overcome this problem, a little complicated to set up, but once you've mastered your first one then its plain sailing.
This is in 06, but as 06 tracks work in 09 it shouldn't be a problem.

Hope this has been of some use

Cheers
Pete

sister
November 11th, 2008, 11:31 AM

OMG! thanks Tony. I was strugling looking around just for that!

Yorkshire
November 11th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Hi Guys,
As I stated earlier. 70% of my route is double track, complete with, junctions / switches / points ; or whatever you wish to call them :D .

This is how I overcome the double junction problem.
First I downloaded Andi06's junction kit, (available in a pack), also his 3.5 track gauge template (UK Standard). I ran my double track up to the junctions and (using the templates) connected them to the junctions with two very short (about 1 sleeper) single track lengths. I used the same method exiting the junction. The result was a double junction, which worked and looked very neat. It took about 5 - 8 minutes per junction.
Of course. the short cross-over track (which must be present in a double junction) isn't recognised by the normal signal set-up but there are rules available on the DS to overcome this problem, a little complicated to set up, but once you've mastered your first one then its plain sailing.
This is in 06, but as 06 tracks work in 09 it shouldn't be a problem.

Hope this has been of some use

Cheers
Pete

Well I must totally agree with you re using Andi06's animated junctions - in fact I use them on all my layouts all the time. I use two of his turnouts (points) together with his diamond crossing - though you need to use his 0.5 meter connection track between the points and crossing.

Looking on the 2009 development forum it seems Andi is working on new animated junctions with the invisible traxck built in so no need to 'wire' them up. This will be a great step forward.

Yorkshire

scorpio48
November 11th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Looking on the 2009 development forum it seems Andi is working on new animated junctions with the invisible traxck built in so no need to 'wire' them up. This will be a great step forward.

Yorkshire

I didn't know that (Last paragraph), I'm glad Andi is working on 09, I've been trying to get that info for a while. Like you rightly stated, 'A great step forward'

Thanks for the info
Pete.

Mick_Berg
November 11th, 2008, 03:43 PM
"twin track" is a lot more trouble than it is worth, in my not so humble opinion.
Funny, my more humble opinion;) is the exact opposite. I have found that making twin tracks from two single tracks is difficult, and in my experience it doesn't help the AI at all, and, worst of all, as soon as you add a junction or insert an industry or whatever, the direction of the track gets reversed.
Chacon a son gout, as they say.
Mick Berg.

Mick_Berg
November 11th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I have just tested the 5M grid and it only applies to new baseboards.

Does this mean that if I import my route (originally started in '06, worked on in TC3) into '09, I won't be able to upgrade it to 5m baseboards? If so that's a big disappointment.
Thanks,
Mick Berg.

Shortline2
November 11th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Does this mean that if I import my route (originally started in '06, worked on in TC3) into '09, I won't be able to upgrade it to 5m baseboards? If so that's a big disappointment.
Thanks,
Mick Berg.

Hi,

Unless something got broken in the BETA there isn't any problem with converting imported maps into having baseboards with 5m grid.

I did it earlier on a couple of test maps of mine from TRS2004, one was even done with TransDEM.
I haven't tried it on the BETA though, so it might be a broken. Best thing is for someone with the BETA to test just that.

I'm unable to try my self right now, as I'm suppose to be in bed...

Best wishes

Linda

bspittles
November 11th, 2008, 10:25 PM

I've so far failed to connect a single track to a double track in T09 beta, but I haven't had the chance yet to see if it was possible in T06.

Mick_Berg
November 11th, 2008, 11:57 PM
I've so far failed to connect a single track to a double track in T09 beta, but I haven't had the chance yet to see if it was possible in T06.

I'm sure it was possible in T06, I did it many times in creating my route.
Mick Berg.

scorpio48
November 12th, 2008, 07:16 AM

The best way around this is to take your double track to within a few metres of your junction. Convert to two single tracks, acting as a double, and take your junctions from these. After placing your junction, you convert back to double track using the same method.
Cheers
Pete.

wreeder
November 12th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Hi,

Unless something got broken in the BETA there isn't any problem with converting imported maps into having baseboards with 5m grid.

I did it earlier on a couple of test maps of mine from TRS2004, one was even done with TransDEM.
I haven't tried it on the BETA though, so it might be a broken. Best thing is for someone with the BETA to test just that.

I'm unable to try my self right now, as I'm suppose to be in bed...

Best wishes

Linda

Linda is correct. This works on both the first baseboard and on existing routes. Just be sure to follow all the steps.

1. Right click on the "Add Ground X" icon.
2. Change the drop down in the dialog box to 5m Grid.
3. Click on an open space on the baseboard. A Dialog box opens to ask if you want to continue with the upgrade, click the proceed button.
4. The screen may blink while it redraws the grid.

You may now use the terrain tools to adjust the using the 5m grid points. Any new baseboards added to your route will use the last grid size chosen during your current surveyor session. If you quit surveyor and come back later it goes back to the 10m grid by default.

Warning: the 5m grid can be a real bear on framerates and even surveyor will slow down if you use too many of them. Use it only on baseboards where you need the extra detail.

OK, how many people have found this new feature?
Open the Topology panel. Choose a displacement map. Choose the Height Up tool. Notice the cursor is now square. Increase the size with the radius dial. Now use the tool on the baseboard. That's right you're using the displacement map as a terrain altering brush. To turn it off use the X in the corner of the displacement map.

William

sister
November 12th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Open the Topology panel. Choose a displacement map. Choose the Height Up tool. Notice the cursor is now square. Increase the size with the radius dial. Now use the tool on the baseboard. That's right you're using the displacement map as a terrain altering brush. To turn it off use the X in the corner of the displacement map.

William

I've got it a week ago without looking for it. It's really usefull.

Captain_Collins
November 12th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Linda is correct. This works on both the first baseboard and on existing routes. Just be sure to follow all the steps.

1. Right click on the "Add Ground X" icon.
2. Change the drop down in the dialog box to 5m Grid.
3. Click on an open space on the baseboard. A Dialog box opens to ask if you want to continue with the upgrade, click the proceed button.
4. The screen may blink while it redraws the grid.

You may now use the terrain tools to adjust the using the 5m grid points. Any new baseboards added to your route will use the last grid size chosen during your current surveyor session. If you quit surveyor and come back later it goes back to the 10m grid by default.

Warning: the 5m grid can be a real bear on framerates and even surveyor will slow down if you use too many of them. Use it only on baseboards where you need the extra detail.

William

Very interesting! I shall have to remember this. Thank you very much.

Yorkshire
November 12th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Thankyou from me too - I knew I was missing a step out somewhere!!!

Yorkshire

wreeder
November 12th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Glad to be of help.

Remember that this beta will expire on the 29th. Save your routes out as a cdp before then or you won't be able to get them out of the beta after it expires.

William

builder300544
November 12th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Remember that this beta will expire on the 29th. Save your routes out as a cdp before then or you won't be able to get them out of the beta after it expires.

Hi,

Sorry to seem a bit thick here, but I don,t understand this .

Cheers, John

angelah
November 12th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Personally I always use single track, but that's just my preference. In all the track I have laid, 13 routes on the Ds. no single rail reversed when a spline point was added, that puzzles me why it should.

To use a double junction with double straight (ish, ha, ha) track first put a spline point in the double track. Then you can add a single to each spline point and you have a junction. Be sure there is a lever on each join.

On double track and as stated, they are both in the same 'direction', that is the built-in directions go the same way. When you place a train on the line that is 'wrong' you must reverse the drive direction and heading on the train, then it will run against the grain, so to speak. But just to be sure use Direction Markers on that track to ensure your trains run in the direction you want.

Whatever you do the AI and Alistair will find some way of not doing it, that's certain!

Angela

wreeder
November 12th, 2008, 03:46 PM

Hi,

Sorry to seem a bit thick here, but I don,t understand this .

Cheers, John

If you are building a route using the beta then you should the content manager to save your route as a cdp file. To do this follow these steps:
1. Open Content Manager.
2. Choose the "My Content" tab.
3. Find your route and right click on it. Choose "Save as CDP" from the menu and save it to somewhere outside the TS2009 folder.
4. When you get the release version, install your route by using the Import CDPs.. command under the file menu.

William

Mick_Berg
November 13th, 2008, 12:15 AM
no single rail reversed when a spline point was added, that puzzles me why it should........Angela
I think I misspoke here. Adding a junction won't reverse the direction, but I found sometimes that inserting bits of single track between sections of double track would reverse the double track, even if I was careful to lay the single track the right way.
Mick Berg.

builder300544
November 13th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Hi William,

Misled you a bit there. I understand how to save routes etc, what I don,t understand is your statement that if you don,t save before the 29th then the route will be lost.

Cheers, John

wreeder
November 13th, 2008, 06:11 AM
OK, when the beta expires, it will not start anymore. All the Dev Builds did this. So you can't get to the content manager to save your route in some form that will be able to be added to the next version. Although it is still on your hard drive it is in a folder with a cryptic name and there isn't an approved method of importing it if you find it. We were told during the Dev Build period not to install over an older build and doing so would most likely create real problems with the Trainz Asset Database. TS2009 does include commands to force a rebuild of the TAD but as I recall from the one person that tried to force his TRS2006 local folder into TS2009 via a rebuild it was a nasty mess. I'm sure the approved way of installing the finished version is going to be to un-install the beta first.

Plus, it is not unheard of that routes simply disappear from TSR2006 or become unable to be opened. Search the forum for Klinger's story of what happened to his Timber Ridge Line. This is a beta and it has crashed on me several times due to video driver issues. So I save all my work as a cdp everytime I get ready to quit. Better to be safe.

William

builder300544
November 13th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Hi,

Penny has now dropped.:D

I must admit I never thought that the Beta would have that type of feature built into it.

Personally I would have thought it quite risky to create or modify a route in a Beta version and then save it to the released final version. All sorts of 'bugs' could be transferred to the game.

Cheers, John

wreeder
November 13th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Hi John,

The beta should be safe to build in since the only changes should be bug fixes. Some people were building content in the dev builds and whether it still work from one build to the next was always a game of chance. I've got some hi-rez groundtextures I made and saved in the first dev build that imported into the beta just fine.

William

scorpio48
November 13th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Hi All,

I was considering loading my route (still under construction) into the Beta, but going on the advice from John (builder300544) & William (wreeder), I think I'll carry on with it in 06 and wait for the finished version.
Thanks guys, saved a bit of work there.

I've only just downloaded the Beta version, so I haven't had a chance to put it through its paces yet, but reading through this thread there seems to be a problem with track laying, especially junctions. Is this the case or have I simply misread the post. I would hate to bring up something already known.

Cheers
Pete.

wreeder
November 14th, 2008, 08:11 AM
No new issues with tracking laying that I know of. The built-in double track has always had issues and limitations.

It appears we will be getting a new beta soon. Maybe tonight or Monday at least it seems that way from a post by Tony over at Trainzdev.

William

scorpio48
November 14th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Hi All,

William; thanks for the info, unfortunately, due to some outside issues that needed my attention, I haven't had much of a chance to put 09 through its paces.

As you rightly stated, the double track junction placement has always been a hit and miss affair. I have always tried to use fixed junctions where possible (IE: andi06's kit).

I did manage to experiment in 09 and I found that, using the Auran double track, I was able to construct a decent looking junction. I simply ran a long length of double track (the length of the baseboard), and inserted a spline point where I wanted the junction. From these I ran two single tracks forming a right-hand junction. The levers where placed automatically, as one would expect, and I ran a loco from different directions. Everything worked as it should.
Of course, as far as I know, double track to double track junctions have never been possible, I'm talking about 04 & 06, I never purchased the Classic series.

What I did intend to try was to construct a very small route using Transdem, and exporting it in to 09. I will get around to this when I have the opportunity, but in the meantime, if anyone else has tried this, some feedback would be appreciated.

Finally: I'm a late entry to the 09 Beta, so the above may have already been covered in depth, if it has I apologize, but any links would be appreciated.

Cheers

Pete.

wreeder
November 14th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Hi Pete,

It appears that going directly from TransDem to TS2009 doesn't work at the moment. Roland is waiting for info from Auran about the new map format. What does work is to use TRS06 as a go between. Load your TransDem created map into TRS06 and then save it once. Then move it from TRS06 into TS2009 without any problems.

Use of the Erazor program appears to cause all kinds of problems on maps when their are import into TS2009.

William

scorpio48
November 15th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Hi again William.

Thanks for the info, I will certainly go the route you suggested.

I have managed a quick look into 09 and so far I'm quite impressed, although I've been concentrating on the features which I use the most (in 06) so I haven't tried some of the new features.

I have also ran a few background programs while running 09, monitoring computer resources, and so far, these seem to be handling 09 admirably.

Thanks again for the info
Cheers
Pete.

f_4phantom1959
November 15th, 2008, 10:48 AM

Is it possible to give screen shots please. I must be missing somthing.

Peter M

L56
November 15th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Is it possible to give screen shots please. I must be missing somthing.

Peter M

I was wondering about this too, esp because I could not fynd a terrain panel, only topology....but it turned out that if you click on extend terrain button or rather add baseboard it gives you the option to create a 5m or 10m grid.

R or I do not seem to work for me *anywhere*.

Also the "prepare your tools for 5m" mentioned in this thread threw me completely of because you don't prepare the tools at all, only the grid. Or have I just become so thick I'm not getting it anymore? :D

Screen shots are not needed, just pay close attention to the tips when loading things. Didn't notice it before, but the new features are actually explaned there.;)

L56 Out...

L56
November 15th, 2008, 12:58 PM
NOW i get i: r-click = right click and l-click = left click.

This explains why r and i was not working...oops....:-)

russellwhite2007
November 15th, 2008, 03:02 PM

I cant seem to get this to work any screen shots to help?

Cheers Rusty

Deano5
November 15th, 2008, 03:05 PM
deleted. misread....

f_4phantom1959
November 15th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Found the 5 meter button

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/176/trs2009qc0.th.jpg (http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trs2009qc0.jpg)http://img389.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)

Peter M :D

j_maybury
November 15th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Tried that,did not work
Bill you can't conect double track to double track to make a juntion, you must use single track to link the two pcies together.:wave:

russellwhite2007
November 16th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Found the 5 meter button

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/176/trs2009qc0.th.jpg (http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trs2009qc0.jpg)http://img389.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)

Peter M :D

Many thanks that really helped.

angelah
November 16th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Bill you can't conect double track to double track to make a juntion, you must use single track to link the two pcies together.:wave:

You will find I covered this on the previous page. But you are correct, double-to-double will not go. See my post for extact details.

Angela

scorpio48
November 16th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen ???:D

A little question about the 5M grid.

Can you convert to 5M when the baseboard already contains terrain, track and various other items, or have you got to use a blank board?

Like most, I'm at the experimental stage, but I would hate to mess things up by trying this as I want to continue with my 'Dummy Layout'.

L56--- What loading tips?. I don't seem to have any even with the 'help' activated.

As I previously stated, I'm a late entry to the Beta 09 so if these issues have been covered before, I apologize.

Cheers
Pete

Shortline2
November 16th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Hi Pete,

Yes, you can convert a fully made up (:)) baseboard to a 5m grid, just as you can convert a bare bone baseboard. ;)

What I haven't tested is if you can go back to 10m from a 5m grid - not that I think I ever will do that, but... LOL

Linda

scorpio48
November 16th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Hi Pete,

Yes, you can convert a fully made up (:)) baseboard to a 5m grid, just as you can convert a bare bone baseboard. ;)

What I haven't tested is if you can go back to 10m from a 5m grid - not that I think I ever will do that, but... LOL

Linda

Thanks Linda,
Saves me making any blunders :D

Cheers
Pete

L56
November 16th, 2008, 05:59 PM
L56--- What loading tips?. I don't seem to have any even with the 'help' activated.

I mean the screens you get when loading your route in surveyor or driver. It shows you some features and were to find them.

Though mostly I was not regestering what they say because I assumed they were the same as the info screens I got with previous version of Trainz... hehe ;)

Captain_Collins
November 18th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Hi L56,

My mistake. I thought it referred to some new feature which I couldn't find.
Thanks for your prompt reply. Your second paragraph is exactly what I thought :D

Cheers
Pete.

Well, glad we got everything sorted.

scorpio48
November 20th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Well, glad we got everything sorted.

Thanks Captain. Saves me moving my reply from the end of this thread. :D

Cheers
Pete.